IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm definitely shorter on the back swing now, and I am getting longer distances with less effort. The funny thing is that I thought my swing was already short enough.

I am able to hit 2-3 large buckets without getting sore, and the first ball and the last ball go about the same distance. Now, I can finally start working seriously on my swing and ball striking. Wondering if I should do the "player's club" to get unlimited balls or not?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm definitely shorter on the back swing now, and I am getting longer distances with less effort. The funny thing is that I thought my swing was already short enough.

I am able to hit 2-3 large buckets without getting sore, and the first ball and the last ball go about the same distance. Now, I can finally start working seriously on my swing and ball striking. Wondering if I should do the "player's club" to get unlimited balls or not?

How many balls are in a large bucket?  I prefer quality over quantity.

Joe Paradiso

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71030/my-swing-lihu/540_30#post_1154561"]   I'm definitely shorter on the back swing now, and I am getting longer distances with less effort. The funny thing is that I thought my swing was already short enough. I am able to hit 2-3 large buckets without getting sore, and the first ball and the last ball go about the same distance. Now, I can finally start working seriously on my swing and ball striking. Wondering if I should do the "player's club" to get unlimited balls or not? [/QUOTE] How many balls are in a large bucket?  I prefer quality over quantity.

I was working on dispersion and ball striking. I wasn't just blindly hitting 300 balls. Was waiting for my daughter while she ice skated. My shot zones up to 7i are reasonable. Mainly for distance. Then I spent a good deal of time with the 6i.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5 minutes mirror work.

Went to the range and joined the "players club", finally. So, I got a medium bucket and placed myself in the one empty stall. The two guys on both sides of me were gunning balls one right after another. About twice to three times my "fast trying to catch up with them" pace which in turn was about twice as fast as my normal pace.

So, these are the same people who take 15 minutes per hole on the course?

I left my clubs in my wife's car today.

In any case, I hit about 30 balls with my son's 60 degree and up to his 7 iron. Then I tried to hit his 6i and 5i, and got only roughly 5-10 yards more distance than with his 7i. His Cleveland CG Tour blades are really difficult to hit well. I could potentially have gotten one or two good shots if I hit another 100 balls from each of those two clubs. They were far short of the relative distance to the 7i. Guessing the sweet spot is like half the size of my Mizuno MP-32 blades. 7i and below were about the same distances as my clubs. 9i was a tad longer than mine.

My son must be hitting the sweet spot pretty well to get 177 carry from his 6i? I'll try to convince him to use the MP-52 for a while for more forgiveness.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Went with my son in the afternoon to the driving range. He mentioned that I might try half swings for a while, and even put an alignment stick to stop my motion halfway. I hit a whole bunch of really soft 9i (44 degree loft) to about 135 yards. They were super accurate and tight, about half my normal dispersion even with range balls. My "hard" 9i is only about 10 yards further, but the dispersion is much larger than 10 yards.

This is a great exercise to start. Now that I get infinite balls to hit, I might try an entire bucket of just hitting soft. Then less soft for a couple more?

This swing might be okay for the course too. It seems to deliver adequate distances. Not overly impressive, but super accurate. This could be my course swing in the future? Really slow but reasonably effective. . .

Maybe I should work on both a "full" swing (which is more of a 3/4 swing relative to parallel), and a half swing and possibly a quarter swing?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2nd day back on the "grinding range". Getting a more relaxed "happy" swing.

One of the people I play with regularly commented that I looked like I am swinging at only 80% effort (if even that) rather than my usual 200% effort. This is interesting because my son also told me I was "over swinging" yesterday afternoon even though I felt like it was much easier a swing than my over-extended one. So, I started using a "half" swing which is really short. I was surprised that I did not lose distance.

My normal shot these days is a push-draw/hook with a lot of side spin. When I make the half swing shots the distance is roughly the same but without the draw/hook. So, in the next few months of range grinding, I hope to straighten out my swing a bit better.

Just for kicks, I "went after it" on a few drives and ended up with some duck hooks landing somewhere near or on the 235 yard flag "hill" on the right side of the range and then rolling off to the right. Then I calmed my drives down a lot to my "short swing" and hit them straighter, farther and higher with a "classic" finish. I also noticed while on the course that when I calm my swing down I get the longest and straightest shots.

Video to come. I plan to sneak into the stalls with the fancy tables and chairs behind them, and can setup my phone to take video on a table. Or maybe, I'll play a round tomorrow to see if I can take this swing to the course.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just reviewed my videos. Not sure if it's the lousy camera angle or not, but it looks like I'm coming way OTT. Going to bring my ipad ro use as a mirror at the range tomorrow.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just reviewed my videos. Not sure if it's the lousy camera angle or not, but it looks like I'm coming way OTT.

Going to bring my ipad ro use as a mirror at the range tomorrow.

Used the iPad, and now I can't easily get the videos off the device. Going to do a mix of Droid and iPad filming tomorrow. OTT seems to have been partially an optical illusion due to the odd angles that I filmed, but I did find some other issues which I am now actively working on. However, I am staying aware of OTT swing creep. . .

60 degree up to 9i performance is relatively good. 8i is okay, but if I try different things bad things can easily happen. Hit my 5i to the correct distance once out of something like 20 shots, most of which fell short up to about 10 yards of where I would like them. 3i is a mess, but at least it rolled a lot (too much). In fact, everything rolled way too much. My 9i would land optimally then roll another 5-10 yards on some of my shots. PW and down worked reasonably I only thinned two shots and hit less than 1/4 of them "fat". The sound was kind of "fat" on 25% of the shorter iron shots. I fatted more of the 8i (the net result is a shot that carries 5 yards shorter), and in some cases 10 yards short. As I went up in iron length, the proportion of fat shots increased. If I was playing the course more than likely would have gone unnoticed.

Last night I "thinned" my 60 degree to 120 yards twice one right after another on the same hole, so this morning I worked pretty hard on figuring out why I thinned the shot. I think I early extended with this club because it is so short. I remedied this by standing more upright at setup. Seemed to avoided all but one thin shot with the 60 degree wedge.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This swing might be okay for the course too. It seems to deliver adequate distances. Not overly impressive, but super accurate. This could be my course swing in the future? Really slow but reasonably effective. . .

Maybe I should work on both a "full" swing (which is more of a 3/4 swing relative to parallel), and a half swing and possibly a quarter swing?

What is your priority item you are working on again? It's hard to tell.

Used the iPad, and now I can't easily get the videos off the device. Going to do a mix of Droid and iPad filming tomorrow. OTT seems to have been partially an optical illusion due to the odd angles that I filmed, but I did find some other issues which I am now actively working on. However, I am staying aware of OTT swing creep. . .

60 degree up to 9i performance is relatively good. 8i is okay, but if I try different things bad things can easily happen. Hit my 5i to the correct distance once out of something like 20 shots, most of which fell short up to about 10 yards of where I would like them. 3i is a mess, but at least it rolled a lot (too much). In fact, everything rolled way too much. My 9i would land optimally then roll another 5-10 yards on some of my shots. PW and down worked reasonably I only thinned two shots and hit less than 1/4 of them "fat". The sound was kind of "fat" on 25% of the shorter iron shots. I fatted more of the 8i (the net result is a shot that carries 5 yards shorter), and in some cases 10 yards short. As I went up in iron length, the proportion of fat shots increased. If I was playing the course more than likely would have gone unnoticed.

Last night I "thinned" my 60 degree to 120 yards twice one right after another on the same hole, so this morning I worked pretty hard on figuring out why I thinned the shot. I think I early extended with this club because it is so short. I remedied this by standing more upright at setup. Seemed to avoided all but one thin shot with the 60 degree wedge.

What is your priority item again?  It's hard to tell from this write up.

Also, posting a swing will help to validate some of your analysis.

You are a practice animal for sure! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

What is your priority item you are working on again? It's hard to tell.

Quote:

What is your priority item again?  It's hard to tell from this write up.

Also, posting a swing will help to validate some of your analysis.

You are a practice animal for sure!

Working on this!

@Lihu, I think those drill swings are really great for you, the shaft tips out less on the downswing. Few comments.

- Better with the pacing of the backswing, you're "rushing" it less.

- Arm swing needs to shorten up. So would like to see the backswing stop closer to here

Than here. Just going to make things much simpler. Can also see how the longer swing starts to change your shoulder and hip alignments, they start to level out. This causes you to try and "cover" it more with your upper body and leads to problems with swinging too far across it.

I practice for exercise as well as skill acquisition, that's why the "animal" part. At this point it's mainly exercise, mostly because I am playing much better than I have ever dreamed I could, thus there is no incentive for dramatic improvement. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3rd attempt getting on the course with my new players club card. Unsuccessful. I can't wait until tournament season is over and I get my monthly pass again. . .

Hit 3 large buckets from 5:30am until about 8:30. 240 of the balls were expended with my 60, 52 trying to hit various targets. I got the roughly 125 yard target three times with quite a few near misses, I only hit it solidly once. Found out that it was metal on the first time. On the one solid shot it made a loud bong sound and the ball bounced high off the surface too. Very satisfying. The remaining 120 balls were used with all my clubs.

All my shots were straighter as opposed to a pull-draw I was getting nice push-draw shots. I even got a few to fade. I can only assume that my OTT is being kept at bay a little bit?

I carry my 3W off the tee about 10-15 yards less than my driver. I "just" need to learn to hit the thing more reliably off the deck to that distance.

The place was a zoo by the time I was warmed up to take videos. There is some kind of "Post Office" tournament going on. No video again. Going to do more this weekend in hopes that I can get some video and setup my ipad for "mirror" work.

3 large buckets a day feels about right as far as not physically overdoing it is concerned. I need to spend a lot more time and effort on the "deliberate" part. Today felt like just a fun day hitting those targets. Serious fun, though. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I m not a teacher (I am a nobody) and I won't give you any advice on how to improve your swing. I just like swing analysis.

- You are OTT

- Your shaft angle at impact is higher than set up.

- Your hands at impact are higher and closer  to the ball than set up.

- You leave the tush line

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

Quote:

I m not a teacher (I am a nobody) and I won't give you any advice on how to improve your swing. I just like swing analysis.

- You are OTT

- You leave the tush line

This helps! I've noticed this, and am actively using the drill I've been doing hoping to reduce this issue.

There is a definite correlation between my synchronization of the hip rotation and my OTT move. When I'm dialed in and the hip rotates first it seems like the OTT is a bit less. It's been a frustrating several months trying to eliminate it, but I at least understand mechanically what I need to do and my coach has also told me what to do. I need to do it a lot better. . . The good news is that I don't do it all the time. :-)

So, what does "leave the tush line" mean?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Those are true of almost everyone.

@Lihu should know what he's working on.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32quattro

@Lihu should know what he's working on.

Thanks. :-)

I still have a lot of work to do. . .the drill. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

In those pics the dynamic lie angle is not compromised. club at address (6 iron ?). Add some degrees than you have a dynamic lie angle pointing left. There's no slow mo video and the camera angle is not behind the club face so numbers cannot be used as reference . In any case his toe is down at impact.

Q. How do you hide pics ? Thanks for your reply

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/71030/my-swing-lihu/558#post_1157329"]   Those are true of almost everyone. [/QUOTE] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125254/] [/URL]   In those pics the dynamic lie angle is not compromised. club at address (6 iron ?). Add some degrees than you have a dynamic lie angle pointing left. There's no slow mo video and the camera angle is not behind the club face so numbers cannot be used as reference . In any case his toe is down at impact.  Q. How do you hide pics ? Thanks for your reply

Not sure, did you extract this shot where I stated 6i in the caption or title prior to the frame?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Not sure, did you extract this shot where I stated 6i in the caption or title prior to the frame?

Hi Lefty, I took it from the video where you have white pants and a blue top with horizontal stripes. I m not sure which club is it. How do you hide pics ? In your signature you have "In my bag". Then you click and shows content. How do you do that ? Thanks

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!