IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 1595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

You're working on it how? Because countless times we've tried to help you with this and every video just seems to be (it's not EVERY video, but that's why I said "seems") you just pulling the crap out of the ball at full speed.

It's pretty bad @Lihu . And you're just baking that further and further and further into your golfer DNA hitting 200, 300, 400 balls a day doing this. You're the proverbial horse here, and "how to practice" is the water you ain't drinking.

P.S. You're probably going to lose a good chunk of yardage when you stop pulling the ball 20° right of your body's alignment.

P.P.S. All the above said with love, man. C'mon.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I lost about 8 yards to get at least some of my shots straight as I mentioned in one of the 5 minute challenges. The ball goes a lot higher now. Next video will show some reduction which was taken yesterday. Still processing this one. . .will probably not finish it before my vacation, though. I'm changing the swing path that the ball takes. Video of drill swings to follow in 2 weeks or so, as mentioned in my previous email. Edit: BTW, this is a priority for me. I do know that when I hit it straighter, higher and shorter that it ends up with a lot more spin. It's not that there's less energy imparted on the ball that it goes shorter. . .it's a serious goal I am trying to achieve. Not falling on deaf ears. I just haven't solved it yet. I'm sure it'll take time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Bummer, I was less than 110 miles from Erie. . .didn't realize that until now. :slapping forehead: We're visiting universities, anyway.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
Bummer, I was less than 110 miles from Erie. . .didn't realize that until now. :slapping forehead: We're visiting universities, anyway.

Well more importantly how far were you from Chautauqua, NY? :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Grrr, I didn't know I was that close! :slap forehead: slap slap slap!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Grrr, I didn't know I was that close!

:slap forehead: slap slap slap!

Geography… it doesn't change too much, you know… :D

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71030/my-swing-lihu/594#post_1170895"] Grrr, I didn't know I was that close! :slap forehead: slap slap slap![/QUOTE] Geography… it doesn't change too much, you know… :D

True, my family decided to go an hour before we drove up, though. Couldn't look up where everything was placed. I figured you were hundreds of miles west. . .next trip up I'll know better.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, played George Wright with some bigwigs at my company. I helped with our team score. The other three players were 15 to 18 HC. I provided a few good drives, for good points. Made two good shots. One from 260 yards downhill from first cut with my 3 hybrid. Perfect contact with a slight push-draw. The other was from ankle to knee deep rough 80 yards away to 6 feet. Now to get back to serious work on OTT. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Mirror work to see what my "pushed shot" swing looks like versus my regular swing. Not a lot of difference, but my pushed shot swing really gets the club behind my hands. I need to work on my sequence. There are at least two reasons the club head gets ahead. I'm trying to figure out the sequences that gets me the most power and still keeps the club in the proper position.

I did a lot of slow mirror swings to try to keep from coming OTT, and spent a good deal of time working out the sequence. It's a bit more complicated than I originally thought. I looked at the videos of my swing with pushed shots from 2 weeks ago, and found that my hips are not cleared when I push the shots. This is why my distances were shorter with the pushed shots. If I am able to clear the hips and still keep the club head behind the hands, I don't think any distance will be lost. In fact, while at the range yesterday, I noticed that I seemed to gain some distance?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Working on the drill swing with the wrist load, and merging it with the 9-3 drills. Hoping it will work better at the range.

Got straight and pushed shots on demand. Now, I just need to do this with full speed swings. Simple, right?

Well, it worked for 9-3 swings. I was able to pull and push shots whenever I wanted, and even the "amount" of push or pull. So, the question is how to I translate this to a full swing? I guess I could do it progressively by just keeping on doing it slow and short until I'm "ready" for slightly longer. Kind of like moving back a degree or so a week at a time? Video planned once I get a little more comfortable.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
100 yards is shorter than my LW, and a pain.

So at this point you're longer than most PGA Tour players? They don't hit their lob wedges outside of about 90 yards or so.

Are these the huge pulls (i.e. that turn your LW into a PW)?

Just asking.

Quote:

100 yards is shorter than my LW, and a pain.

So at this point you're longer than most PGA Tour players? They don't hit their lob wedges outside of about 90 yards or so.

Are these the huge pulls (i.e. that turn your LW into a PW)?

Just asking.

Huge pulls of course!

I think I land about 85-90 yards with a properly shot LW, and my 52 is about 105-110. The problem is I still have a tendency to pull every few shots and it goes right and too far.

Doesn't really change my response to the topic other than the fact that I need to get a 56 wedge, but I'm not long enough with my 4i to get rid of the 3i yet. Of course, all my MP-32 clubs are about 3/4 club too weak, so once I get fitted for a proper new set of clubs that issue should be resolved.

Back on topic:

Just finished a session, where my distances are better and even the range balls seem to stop instead of rolling so much after landing.

Did more 9-3 drills and tried full swings. I setup an alignment stick about 3 degrees outside of the target line. I hit the stick a few times, but was finally able to figure out how to keep the path out. Feels good. I'm going to do this for a while until I get the muscle memory ingrained. Not used to it yet, so my 7i (MP-32) only carries about 150 yards. Hope to have some time this weekend to take some video. I caught a flu in NYC, or a hospital in Boston so I might need to wait another week.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 weeks later...

Resting, might have a minor MCL injury from overworking myself 2 days ago hitting too many balls (almost 500) then playing 18 holes yesterday. Probably less than a grade 1 injury, as I can only feel it when I press hard on the inside of my knee. My lead small toe is healing a little.

I played pretty bad golf yesterday due to the injuries (shot 92 with a triple due to "purposeful" OTT swings to keep the pain down), but was able to get one or two decent shots in. Unfortunately, most of my tee shots were too short and my approach shots too long.

Going to stay on the range for a couple weeks to prevent further injury to my MCL and the swollen little lead toe. Will take some more slow drill swing videos for a reference point. My videos from 2 days ago barely showed any improvement other than a shorter swing. Grrr, it's taking a long time, and I anticipate another 6 months of work. If I can eliminate this main issue before the end of this coming winter golf season in months, I'll be very happy.

Maybe this minor injury is a blessing so I can really swing slower to change the picture?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That sucks @Lihu . I don't think those injuries get any better without really giving them time to heal. You certainly don't want it to get worse.

Going to stay on the range for a couple weeks to prevent further injury to my MCL and the swollen little lead toe. Will take some more slow drill swing videos for a reference point. My videos from 2 days ago barely showed any improvement other than a shorter swing. Grrr, it's taking a long time, and I anticipate another 6 months of work. If I can eliminate this main issue before the end of this coming winter golf season in months, I'll be very happy.

I assume you meant you are going to stay "off" the range?

Jon

That sucks @Lihu . I don't think those injuries get any better without really giving them time to heal. You certainly don't want it to get worse. [QUOTE] Going to stay on the range for a couple weeks to prevent further injury to my MCL and the swollen little lead toe. Will take some more slow drill swing videos for a reference point. My videos from 2 days ago barely showed any improvement other than a shorter swing. Grrr, it's taking a long time, and I anticipate another 6 months of work. If I can eliminate this main issue before the end of this coming winter golf season in months, I'll be very happy. [/QUOTE]  I assume you meant you are going to stay "off" the range?

No, I meant no more rounds for me. The range is more controlled, and I can focus more on body motion type stuff on the mats. Plus, slow swings. The injury is not even a grade 1 tear according to the doctor. He just said don't over exert myself, but not to stop. In fact, it will heal faster with less stressful motions than a full speed swing. What this means is slow, and really slow" movements on the range. One thing I've been guilty of at the range is trying to out hit the person next to me. They do the same, and getting into this unspoken competition is just plain stupid and counterproductive to improvement. That's stopping, now!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Went to the driving range and it was closed again. I didn't even notice that they have done this almost every Monday.

So, I spent a little time practicing my putting. 30 foot lag putts still leave me with half 3 putts. I'm going to need to work on my approach game to reduce my first putt to less than 30 feet. The shortest approach I've made in the last 8 rounds was 7 feet with my 52 wedge and everything else was over 25 feet. Statistically, I miss at least half my 7 footers. I missed for a par. On the driving range I can hit pins with great regularity from that distance, but on the course I'm lucky to hit a green. :surrender:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So, I spent a little time practicing my putting. 30 foot lag putts still leave me with half 3 putts. I'm going to need to work on my approach game to reduce my first putt to less than 30 feet. The shortest approach I've made in the last 8 rounds was 7 feet with my 52 wedge and everything else was over 25 feet. Statistically, I miss at least half my 7 footers. I missed for a par. On the driving range I can hit pins with great regularity from that distance, but on the course I'm lucky to hit a green.:surrender:

Just work on your lag putting. Get your second putt's distance within 10% of your first putt's. It's both easier than hitting approach shots closer and realistically achievable. PGA Tour players are 50% from 8 feet, so if you're 50% from 7, you're not that far off. Get your first putt closer to the hole.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

So, I spent a little time practicing my putting. 30 foot lag putts still leave me with half 3 putts. I'm going to need to work on my approach game to reduce my first putt to less than 30 feet. The shortest approach I've made in the last 8 rounds was 7 feet with my 52 wedge and everything else was over 25 feet. Statistically, I miss at least half my 7 footers. I missed for a par. On the driving range I can hit pins with great regularity from that distance, but on the course I'm lucky to hit a green.

Just work on your lag putting. Get your second putt's distance within 10% of your first putt's. It's both easier than hitting approach shots closer and realistically achievable.

PGA Tour players are 50% from 8 feet, so if you're 50% from 7, you're not that far off. Get your first putt closer to the hole.

Appreciate the confirmation. :beer:

My son never practices lag putts because he tells me that he's never that far from the pin on his first putt. Yeah, sure. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!