IGNORED

First time in North Carolina - too many choices!

bradsul
Note: This thread is 3753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

My brother and I don't have time to do our usual Florida trip this December so instead we thought we'd try North Carolina since we've never done anything but drive through it.

We were looking for a relatively inexpensive stay&play; from Dec20-23 (so 3 nights).  Hoping to spend no more than $300-400 per person.  The problem we're having is the number of choices is rather mind-boggling!  I was hoping someone could help us narrow it down a bit.  We're not looking to play any expensive TPC courses or anything but we don't want to play goat tracks either.

Thanks!

Brad

Glad to hear you're thinking of N.C. to take your golf trip! Since we are located in the state, maybe I can help. Do you know what area of N.C. you are looking to play/stay around?

See you on the course.

Glad to hear you're thinking of N.C. to take your golf trip! Since we are located in the state, maybe I can help. Do you know what area of N.C. you are looking to play/stay around?

We were originally thinking the area around Charlotte (sp?) but mostly because it was the first name that came to mind (we usually stop for lunch there on our drive to Florida).

Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach of course were near the top of the list but there are so many options it's hard to know where to start.

Really we have no preference and recommendations from locals are usually the best.  You guys (and gals) tend to know the local hidden gems!

Brad

We were originally thinking the area around Charlotte (sp?) but mostly because it was the first name that came to mind (we usually stop for lunch there on our drive to Florida).

Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach of course were near the top of the list but there are so many options it's hard to know where to start.

Really we have no preference and recommendations from locals are usually the best.  You guys (and gals) tend to know the local hidden gems!

You'll find that both Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are in South Carolina, not North. How about somewhere in the Pine Hills area? Not necessarily Pinehurst, which is expensive, but some of the courses in the surrounding area are very nice, I hear. But if you have driven through there in late December, you know it can be quite chilly. But no problem for Ontarians, eh?

• Administrator

You'll find that both Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are in South Carolina, not North. How about somewhere in the Pine Hills area? Not necessarily Pinehurst, which is expensive, but some of the courses in the surrounding area are very nice, I hear. But if you have driven through there in late December, you know it can be quite chilly. But no problem for Ontarians, eh?

I second this. There are a LOT of great courses in that area. Heck, prior to the renovation, I liked Pine Needles more than Pinehurst #2.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Harmonious , wow that's embarassing!  My US geographical knowledge is worse than I thought! :-D And if that was what you consider chilly I think I can deal!  My last round this year was -4C with snow flying and a wind chill of -12C.  Anything above 0C now will feel like shorts weather to me.

@iacas I think I came across a thread you posted a couple/few years ago mentioning those courses?  We will definitely check them out,

Brad

Even though Myrtle Beach is in SC, most people associate Brunswick County NC as being "Myrtle Beach" for purposes of planning a golf vacation. There are dozens of courses in Brunswick County, NC that will give you some good golf at good prices. You can probably do 3 nights lodging and 4 days of 36 holes each for close to $400 per person if you do a package of courses that are affiliated with one another such as the Cats at Ocean Ridge or Sea Trail. That's a lot cheaper than Pinehurst. Here are a few suggestions:

Rivers Edge

Cape Fear National

Bald Head Island

Tigers Eye

Leopards Chase

Thistle

Carolina National

The Pearl (2 courses)

Glen Dornoch and Heather Glen are in SC as you cross the border

For some less expensive choices:

Farmstead

Meadowlands

Crow Creek

Sea Trail (3 courses)

Panthers Run

Lions Paw

Sandpiper

The problem is the weather in December can be challenging.

I'm waiting for a few more quotes to come in (I gather it's a holiday today for you guys) but I think we're probably going to go with the big cats courses at Ocean Ridge.  The courses look great and they gave an excellent price (assuming the accommodations are decent) of a little under $300USD per person.  3 nights and 6 rounds (2 on each of the 'cheaper courses' and 1 each on the other 2) all taxes and fees included.  No food or anything but that's fine and should put us perfectly in budget!

Thanks for all the assistance!

Brad

Sorry for the delay! Sounds like you've made a great choice. Price is RIGHT too!! WOW! Enjoy North Carolina, while you're here let us know if you have any questions or if we can guide you somewhere!  Here's to low rounds!!

See you on the course.

• 2 weeks later...
@Bradsul - I see your travel dates are right around the corner, so you've almost no doubt made up your mind. But if not, I'd also recommend the Pine Hills area of North Carolina. It's a little more expensive than the beaches, but the golf is greater quality (in my opinion), and I'm sure many well traveled players would agree with that. The area is home to several courses that offer reasonable prices, but are still on at least on one of the 'Greatest 100 Public' lists. Perhaps it's too late, but if it's not, check with Tobacco Road about what packages they're offering. I'm on their mailing list (I live in southeastern VA and frequently visit NC to visit family) and recall having seen something about 3 nights/3 rounds for $300, and it included Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, and Pine Needles. No matter where you go, I hope you hit 'em well! Eric

@Riz757 thanks for the advice!  We did indeed end up going with Ocean Ridge and the Big Cats courses.  The price just couldn't be beat.  I liked the look of Pine Needles but it was just way out of our price range.  My brother and I are both the play all day kind of golfer and travelling that far to play only 3 rounds just isn't appealing to us.  I think the next time we're going to Florida I'm going to suggest detouring to play Pine Needles on the way down (or back up). It definitely looks like a course I'd enjoy.

We're leaving Ontario late Thursday afternoon and tee off at 12:30pm on Friday.  We should get down in time to hit a couple buckets because neither of us has hit off grass for a month and a half.  Should be pretty interesting though I imagine that first round is going to be frustrating at times.

Brad

@Riz757 thanks for the advice!  We did indeed end up going with Ocean Ridge and the Big Cats courses.  The price just couldn't be beat.  I liked the look of Pine Needles but it was just way out of our price range.  My brother and I are both the play all day kind of golfer and travelling that far to play only 3 rounds just isn't appealing to us.  I think the next time we're going to Florida I'm going to suggest detouring to play Pine Needles on the way down (or back up). It definitely looks like a course I'd enjoy.

We're leaving Ontario late Thursday afternoon and tee off at 12:30pm on Friday.  We should get down in time to hit a couple buckets because neither of us has hit off grass for a month and a half.  Should be pretty interesting though I imagine that first round is going to be frustrating at times.

Sounds like a great deal.  The forecast looks AWESOME for you guys this weekend.  Temps in the southeast are expected to be fall-like.  Hit 'em good, and follow up to let us know what you and your brother thought of the courses.

Note: This thread is 3753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!