IGNORED

Michelle Wie's Letter

iacas
Note: This thread is 6869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really think it is all down to mentality. Many see the hazards, trees, water and traps. Very few see their shot where they really would like to see it. It makes a big difference.

I agree with Ole_Tom_Morris about his malaise regarding the LPGA.

Where there are always going to be younger, stronger athletes to challenge their more experienced brethren, it still remains a mystery how during the 2nd LPGA major of 2005 not one professional lady golfer separated themselves from the field. Even though each of the top ten players had decent rounds none of them could put their whole game together better than an inexperienced 15-year old. Wie didn't give up either. Right down to the final holes, she actually thought she could win. King Cobra said a mouthful when he mentioned the mental part of the game as being the deciding factor. I think the ladies might feel defeated right from the start when Sorenstam is in the field. Not so for Michelle Wie...

Sincerely,
Stacy Solomon

• 3 weeks later...
Michelle Wie should play in the most competitive events she can find. There is no need to play in junior events...she already can hit a drive about 300 yards and plays with the like of Els and Woods. She is now a new class of female competitor...the young gun who is athletic and has no fear.

I totally agree with the above quote. Michelle is playing like a pro. She is precocious, talented beyond belief, ambitious, and confident she can run with the big dogs. So, let's not try to keep her on the porch.

Reactions run the gamut on the PGA Tour regarding Michelle Wie's exemption into this week's John Deere Classic.

John Cook stated to the Denver Post, "It needs to end and it needs to end now. Michelle is great talent but it is a story that needs to go no further. LPGA golf and men's golf are apples and oranges."

But, according to my local newspaper, the Journal News, "Deere organizers apparently know what they're doing. Wie's presence in the field has led to 10,000 more tickets being sold this year and that's not including walk-up sales".

Wie is looking forward to making the cut and qualifying for the British Open. The Open said that even though the bylaws apply to men they would make an exception for her...smart move!

Sincerely,
Stacy Solomon

same discussion takes place in the Indy Car racing with that Patrick girl. I liked the comment I heard on the ESPN Radio this morning (applies to Wie as well) : "it's been a great story, it's good for the sport and the fan intrest - but enough already. Win something and we'll talk about you again. If you just participate - no media coverage is needed. Enough. How many times we'll start interview with the winner of the event asking "how do you feel about xxx playing here?". Cut it out."
I agree 100%. Does it mean I will be watching JDeere for any other reason, but to see the hottest looking 15yr old swingin' a golf club? No. Without Wie I wouldn't even turn it on. But the media circus gotta stop, it's sickening.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The people who run big events know the importance of advertising in making a buck. For any event it is all about the money. How can a guy like Tiger Woods, a young guy, reach the $50 million mark in career earnings? Because there is a crapload of cash available when people create a buzz.

I don't think that is ever going to change and therefore, organizers of events will continue to grant sponsor's exemptions because they know that they can make more money by doing it. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing. The good people at the John Deere event stand to make a lot of money by including Michelle Wie in the field and so they do it. If I was in charge and knew I could sell 10,000 more tickets I'd sign her up too, particularly if I was pocketing the money. Yeah... it might not be "fair" for the PGA guys, it might take attention off the "real competitors," and it might create a "circus" environment but in the short and long term it creates controversy which translates into more attention for John Deere, the PGA, the LPGA and for golf in general.

Its a money thing.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Here is my question... If the same was offered to you on the PGA Tour would you take it? I would
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

As much as I enjoy watching Michelle play I agree she does get more than her share of attention. After all, Morgan Pressel is still the No. 1 ranked amateur and she isn't discussed nearly as much. In a one on one match play situation I think Morgan could teach her a thing or two. But I digress; my point is that I agree it's time for her to win something or I believe the media and spectators will start losing interest.

• Administrator
The sad thing is, too, that it took Tiger Woods ten solid years to earn $50,000,000. Baseball players do it in three years, and they don't come anywhere near as dominating as Tiger Woods has. He's closing in on 50 career victories on the PGA Tour. He has a front nine full of majors.

And he's "only" made $50,000,000 in official money. Harumph. In the grand scheme of things, golfers are still drastically underpaid. Vijay's $10M last year was underpayment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The sad thing is, too, that it took Tiger Woods ten solid years to earn $50,000,000. Baseball players do it in three years, and they don't come anywhere near as dominating as Tiger Woods has.

And if a baseball or basketball player is in a slump they still get a fat paycheck... if you're a golfer and in a slump you just pray you can retain your tour card while you try to break out of your funk.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Note: This thread is 6869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!