IGNORED

New Grips: When, Why, What?

Warik
Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a ~35 handicapper slowly but surely making his way down to the high 20s (I've been shooting better than my handicap for the last 5-6 rounds after a series of 6 lessons, so I think I'm on my way). My equipment is listed in my signature and I've had all of those clubs except the SasQuatch for close to 3 years. The grips aren't totally destroyed or anything, but am wondering if new grips on my clubs would be of any benefit to me.

As the thread title implies, when is it time to start thinking about upgrading from stock grips, why would a player at my level of development benefit from a change, and what should I look for in a new grip? Assume I am neither on a specific budget nor willing to spend what most players would consider an outrageous amount of money for something whose advantage over a more economical replacement would only be noticeable to someone light-years ahead of me in playing ability.

Oh yeah... also assume I play in 90+ degree weather with 70%+ humidity, change gloves every other hole, and say "dang, the club slipped" at least twice a nine.

Thank you!!

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

Grips are a personal thing. I have read recommendations that suggest re-gripping every 6 months to a year, depending on how much you play. After three years, with any amount of play time on your old grips, I would say that it is time.

Stock or replacement? That is a matter of personal preference. Some grips will last longer or feel better to you depending on what they are made of. I can tell you that I liked my stock Ping grips I used to have, until I tried the Wynn grips. I liked the way the Wynn grips felt enough to spend the little bit of extra money, although grips really aren't that expensive relative to other golf purchases.

Why? Your hand will start to slip on the club, whether you notice all the time or not. Plus, new grips will just be more comfortable.

Go to a pro shop. Make sure that the new grip fits your hand. Golf Galaxy in Indy (for example) has a huge area with grips attached to shafts. They also have a poster showing exactly how it should fit in your hand. If I remember correctly, when sitting in your left hand, your fingers should touch the fleshy part of your hand when they are closed. If they wrap too far around, it is too small. If they are not touching or really close too, they are too big (Someone feel free to provide a more accurate description if they have one). But more importantly, it should just feel GOOD to you. After trying several grips, you will know what I mean. When I was done, the Winn DSI AVS-V17 Soft grips where what felt the best to me. In fact, I liked them so much that when I got new clubs I have them re-gripped immediately.

I hope that helps and makes sense. I have to get to work. Good luck!
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

I am not sure how many rounds you have had your Winns for but mine on my driver aren't even half a season old and they are starting to wear through already.

I would say they size is more important then the cost.

2 to 3 seasons sounds about right...depending how many rounds you fit in per season.

Grip price is pretty negligible. They range from like $4-$7 per, not exactly big money, plus a buck or two for the labor unless you do it yourself.

I just regripped all my irons and woods with Winn Extremes (Xi7's, the firm ones). I think it ran me about $60.

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

I had Winn Grips before, I think they had the number 5 on them. I'm waaaay too lazy to look it up though. They got shiny in a hurry yo. Get some V55's and start pointin' them vee's over your right shoulder.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

when

When - If you play a lot, after 3 years, I'd say you're overdue. I have played about 80 rounds this year - depending on how they are by the winter time, I might need to get them re-done. (I had it last done in April).

Why - Your playing ability is irrelevant - doesn't matter whether you're a 36 capper or a tour pro, the right grip will help your game at any level. What - It all depends on what you like. Do you like the feel of the stock grip? Or do you prefer a grip you saw in the store? Make sure it fits your hand, too. Most golf stores will have models on display. I'd suggest a grip that's really tacky, if you're struggling to keep a hold on the club in the heat/humidity. Hope that helps.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Thank you for your suggestions. I went to Edwin Watts and got a look at a couple of grips and ended up liking the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound. The upper hand area is corded and the lower hand area is a softer material. Felt good on the demo club they had and felt a lot better than my 3+ year old grips.

They only had 10 in the color I chose, so I grabbed those and the DIY materials. I regripped my 3-PW, SW, and LW. Driver is brand new so I think the grip can stay as-is for a while. I'll regrip the 3-wood when they get more in stock in that color. I probably won't do the 5-wood because I'm thinking of dumping it in favor of a gap wedge.

Regripping was fairly easy but a bit of a pain at the beginning since I didn't have a vice and had to do it all by hand. They're drying now and I'm going to try them out at the range/practice green tomorrow in preparation of Sunday's round.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!