IGNORED

True distance vs imaginary distance.

iHack
Note: This thread is 3688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

10 yards for me, but I don't have a consistent draw yet and my drives are all over the map.

I wonder if one of the discrepancies in reported club distances are due to the fact that the lower handicappers use distance statistics based upon "spin" balls and the higher handicappers base them on the "distance" balls? This might make up for a 7 to 10 yard difference, and another 10 because the ball is not being shaped into position by the higher handicappers?

One of the discrepancies????? .

Yeah, at least this one. ;-)

Seriously, though, this could account for at least 20 yards.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, at least this one.;-) Seriously, though, this could account for at least 20 yards.

For most maybe even all mid handicappers, I seriously doubt it. I would be hard pressed to get 3> yards more from one ball to the next.

For most maybe even all mid handicappers, I seriously doubt it. I would be hard pressed to get 3> yards more from one ball to the next.

Agreed there is no significant difference in distance between golf balls. What you will see is spin rates. Premium golf balls or those with Eurethane covers will spin more off wedges.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Yeah, at least this one.

Seriously, though, this could account for at least 20 yards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

Agreed there is no significant difference in distance between golf balls. What you will see is spin rates. Premium golf balls or those with Eurethane covers will spin more off wedges.

Both of you can control the spin on the balls. Like most mid/high handicappers, I am just starting to learn to control the spin.

If I swing a couple degrees lower on my AoA, that could account for at least 20 yards. The Surlyn covered balls do not seem to be affected as much as the Urethane covered balls. There is at least a 10 yard difference between the two that I have seen.

I noticed that when hitting up on the ball (AoA of +2 to +5 degrees), that there is not as much difference between the two. That is at least one major difference between you lower handicappers and us higher handicappers.

I don't carry a launch monitor on the course, but I can sort of tell by the sound off the face and the sound of the ball if I hit negative AoA or positive AoA.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That is precisely correct , no significant distance, the biggest difference between a premium and 19.00 per dozen distance ball is the spin rate from 8iron on down, the premium ball enables a much higher spin rate. Spin rates remain near the same off the driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

That is precisely correct , no significant distance, the biggest difference between a premium and 19.00 per dozen distance ball is the spin rate from 8iron on down, the premium ball enables a much higher spin rate. Spin rates remain near the same off the driver.

I'll be testing them more comprehensively. Maybe once I get comfortable with them, there won't be that much difference in distance.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!