IGNORED

Progressive Set... Titleist & Mizuno

Note: This thread is 3376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, sorry to add yet another new irons thread but what else is there to talk about when the temps are below zero? I think it's about time I retire my current set of Titleist 775 CB's and upgrade to a new set of sticks. I'm looking once again at Titleist as well as Mizuno's, but I'm thinking I would like to build a progressive set to give me some of the forgiveness that I'm used to with the long irons. I modestly believe that I am a good ball striker, especially 6 iron and below, so I want to go with a shallow cavity back in my scoring irons for sure. I have played some MB's that belong to a friend of mine and while I hit them very well, I don't feel that the gains outweight the sacrifices in forgiveness for me compared to CB's.

So here's what I'm looking at right now.

Titleist- Thinking about doing 4-6 in AP2's and 7-PW in CB's.

Mizuno- 4 & 5 in MP-H4's and 6-PW in MP-64's.

With that said, I haven't had a chance to hit any of these clubs and it will likely be another month or so before I actually get to do my club fitting so I won't make any for sure decisions until then. Keeping that in mind, I could see myself doing a full set in AP2's, CB's, or the 64's, but before hitting them I am leaning towards a combo. I know the 64's are already kind of set up as a progressive set with varying degrees of cavity, but until I hit the long irons I won't know for sure.

Regardless, I was looking for input from anyone who has hit any of the aforementioned clubs to get your thoughts on them. Aesthetically, I love the look of the Titleist CB's and the MP-64's. The AP2's don't appeal to my eye that much, but I have heard great things about them and from address they suit my eye fine, which is all that truly matters.

I used to have some AP2's the 710's 5-pw , I ended up selling the set for around .45 cents on the dollar paid. Unless you're willing to have a club set that is for keeps...I would do some rethinking. I like your idea, but if it does not pan out in playing, you may have a problem selling the sets. As for the AP2's  I had... they were so-so, not for me. My Mizuno MP-57's however are great, a semi cavity back forged iron. I would go with the 64's as a set.

I used to have some AP2's the 710's 5-pw , I ended up selling the set for around .45 cents on the dollar paid. Unless you're willing to have a club set that is for keeps...I would do some rethinking. I like your idea, but if it does not pan out in playing, you may have a problem selling the sets. As for the AP2's  I had... they were so-so, not for me. My Mizuno MP-57's however are great, a semi cavity back forged iron. I would go with the 64's as a set.

You make a great point that I hadn't really considered yet. It would definitely be more difficult to sell a set that starts with a 5 or 6 iron. With that said, I'm not overly concerned with the resale value because in the past I have never been one to change clubs much. I bought my current set of Titleist's brand new with a club fitting that set them up for me and I have played them since 06 (?) and frankly they are just worn out. Accompany that with the fact that I've grown a few inches and my swing has undoubtedly developed, so I've decided it's about time to replace them. What I'm getting at though is that I intend to do the same with these clubs, and will likely keep them for a minimum of 5 years assuming I like them.

I would definitely like to get a full set of the same line if I could though, just for consistency purposes. I won't know for sure until I'm able to hit them I guess, but out of the ones I have listed I won't get a complete set of the H4's. I just want more of a players iron from 6 iron down. If I'm able to hit the long irons in the Titleist CB's or 64's consistenly well then I think those are the two I'm leaning towards. I would like to have a little bit of forgiveness in my 4 and 5 irons though, so hopefully I feel that one of those sets gives me that. At this point I'm more concerned in being comfortable and confident with every club in my bag that resale value... Without hitting any of them, I think the 64's have the lead.

I second @Jodastra 's advice to go with the 64's. While my ball striking is certainly not on par with a 2 hcp, I have tried every Titleist and Mizuno club out right now (at Roger Dunn), and the 64 progression up through the 4 iron seems to be more of what you are looking for than what the CB line would offer. IMHO anyway. Let us know what you decide on!

I just got a full set of Mp-64's and find forgiveness not to be an issue. They are the kind of set in which if you can hit the 6 iron you can hit the 3 iron... Assuming you can get it in the air!

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

With the Mizunos, you could also look at doing a combo of the MP54 and MP64. The 54s are pretty damn forgiving and still have a good look to them... not nearly as big or thick on the top as the H4. The only thing is that that the short irons in the 54s are pretty slimmed down and have a fairly shallow cavity so you may not even need or want to blend them with the MP64 irons.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not one you've mentioned, but also take a look at the MP4s. I had a chance to hit them a few months ago, and was really surprised at how forgiving they were (for a MB iron). If I was in the market for new sticks, they would be near the top of the wish list.

Tyler Martin

Not one you've mentioned, but also take a look at the MP4s. I had a chance to hit them a few months ago, and was really surprised at how forgiving they were (for a MB iron). If I was in the market for new sticks, they would be near the top of the wish list.

I agree. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods the other day but they didn't have them. They just had the Mizuno JPX EZ irons . I don't think they really carry Mizuno clubs like they do other brands.

I will be sure to check those out whenever I go for a club fitting. I went by the local golf complex over the weekend to look at the clubs in person but they were out of the 64's. They assured me that they would have them in whenever spring rolls around for my fitting though. They did have the 54's though, and I could see them being a viable option for my higher irons as someone mentioned above. In fact, I think I like the idea of those over the H4's. I won't know until I hit them though. Man, I'm going to be hitting a lot of clubs.

I'm trying to keep my ego set aside when choosing my new irons. I would love a nice set of MB's or a high level players iron, but I don't need that. I am a good ball striker and iron play is a strength of mine, but for my personal game I don't see the need in declining a certain amount of forgiveness if it is available to me. The club face already shrinks enough in tournaments when I'm sitting 185 out on the 18th fairway and need par to win.

Maddog, I did/bought a set this past summer nearly exactly like you're referencing.  I purchased the MP64's 5-PW and added the H4 4i.  I don't find the 5i hard to hit at all.  It's not intimidating and offers plenty of forgiveness.  The H4 4i is my get out of jail club.  It's extremely easy to hit no matter where the ball lies.  I didn't like the H4 5i look or sole thickness.  As for the MP64's, they are top notch.  The forgiveness on off-center shots is greatly improved over my previous 704CB's.  As a 2 hcp, I don't think you will have any problems finding the sweet spot on these clubs.  Buy with confidence.

amac

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

Interesting, from the feedback I've heard, they've been a lot less forgiving than Mizuno's previous MBs.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Maddog, I did/bought a set this past summer nearly exactly like you're referencing.  I purchased the MP64's 5-PW and added the H4 4i.  I don't find the 5i hard to hit at all.  It's not intimidating and offers plenty of forgiveness.  The H4 4i is my get out of jail club.  It's extremely easy to hit no matter where the ball lies.  I didn't like the H4 5i look or sole thickness.  As for the MP64's, they are top notch.  The forgiveness on off-center shots is greatly improved over my previous 704CB's.  As a 2 hcp, I don't think you will have any problems finding the sweet spot on these clubs.  Buy with confidence.

amac

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. If I share your opinion after hitting them then I will likely go with a full set of the 64's. They are at the top of my list right now, but I'm trying to keep an open mind until I get an opportunity to hit the clubs. I don't want to be set on getting a certain model before hitting them in fear of letting my bias make convince me that they are the ones I want. The design of the 64's look really good to me though, and man they are sexy online. They were the one's I was most looking forward to checking out this weekend at the golf complex, but of course they didn't have them. I've never owned Mizuno's but hear that they are the best feeling forged iron on the market.

After having such a good season last year, maybe I'm crazy for wanting to switch irons. I feel that I have outgrown mine though and truthfully they are just worn out. They have had a good, long life. Time to retire them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Interesting, from the feedback I've heard, they've been a lot less forgiving than Mizuno's previous MBs.

To be fair, I have only hit the 6 iron, and it was on a launch monitor. I hit the 64, the MP4, and my Grad 6 iron, and as far as forgiving, would probably rank them in that order, with the 64 most forgiving, and my Grad the least. I hit a few low and the face and out toward the toe on the 4 and didn't see a significant drop-off in distance (5-7 yards IIRC). I'd like to hit the long irons to see how they handle.

Tyler Martin

I got a set of the Mizuno MP-H4's about six months ago and love them. About a month after I started playing with them I shot my age (67) for the first time. Although the topline is thicker than anything I've ever used before, these irons have great playability with minimal offset, but are also quite forgiving. My previous irons were Adams Idea Pro Gold's, and with them I carried two hybrids (a #3 and a #4) and 5-PW plus a gap wedge in the irons. Now I've been able to take the #4 hybrid out of the bag and replace it with the MP-H4 4iron, which is pleasantly easy to hit.

Your thoughts regarding a mixed set make sense from a playability standpoint but, as has been pointed out, that might cost you down the road if you're trying to sell them. While I personally love the MP-H4's, the MP-64's (or even the MP-54's) would be a good option, too. You might also take a look at the new Callaway Apex Pro irons, and there's nothing wrong with the Titleist AP2's. Good luck!

Got to hit the MP-64 six iron off of the mat into a net yesterday afternoon. I hate hitting off of mats and into nets, but it's the best option I had at the time. I would much rather get to hit off of grass, and I definitely want to be able to see the ball flight before I make any type of purchase. With that said, the 6 iron had a very nice feel to it and honestly had a more forgiving feel than I expected. I obviously can't tell how much distance was lost with mishits, but they provided enough feedback to let me know where I mishit the ball while still feeling like a decent shot. My swing felt better than expected for not playing in a couple months with very few mishits, although I suppose the mat could have been helping a little too.

Preliminary impression is that I could definitely see myself going with a full set of the 64's. Of course I won't know anything until I can see the ball flights, but they are not as demanding as I expected and the purely struck shots were buttery smooth.

Preliminary impression is that I could definitely see myself going with a full set of the 64's. Of course I won't know anything until I can see the ball flights, but they are not as demanding as I expected and the purely struck shots were buttery smooth.

I play the 775's as well. I have tried the MP64's on several occasions last month and think they are a really nice iron. They feel/sound a little different then the 775's on good impact (very nice feeling) and performance is about the same as the 775's for me. They have slightly wider soles so should be a bit more forgiving on fat shots and I really liked the look of them at address. Not enough of a difference for me to consider switching, but they sure felt like nice clubs. They didn't seem more demanding compared to the 775's to me either.

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

I play the 775's as well. I have tried the MP64's on several occasions last month and think they are a really nice iron. They feel/sound a little different then the 775's on good impact (very nice feeling) and performance is about the same as the 775's for me. They have slightly wider soles so should be a bit more forgiving on fat shots and I really liked the look of them at address. Not enough of a difference for me to consider switching, but they sure felt like nice clubs. They didn't seem more demanding compared to the 775's to me either.

Well I really don't have a good reason for switching, other than my current set is just beat up and worn out. Frankly last year was the best iron play I've had in my career. That's why I'm wondering if I'm crazy for wanting to switch now, but I keep telling myself that it was my swing and hours of practice that yielded the good results, not the irons. Accompany a great year last year with a $1,000+ price tag and then I really begin to wonder what I'm thinking, but I've made up my mind that I'm treating myself to new irons this year so damnit, I'm doing it!

Note: This thread is 3376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!