• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dr5093

New to the game and I have an interesting question.

4 posts in this topic

Hi, my name is Daniel and I am new to golf. My wife plays and has gotten me interested in the game. I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I have come across, what I believe to be some pre-1900s Winter-Dobson golf clubs. I have tried looking them up online but have come up empty. The clubs have a metal plate on the bottom that say: Witner-Dobson; Dallas, TX;Handmade; 2; Model 87. Beside the plate in the wood, is a stamped engraving: REG 1893. Does anyone know anything about these clubs and/or where I could go online to find info about them?

Sounds like a definite antique, and maybe one of a kind! If you've googled them and came up empty, I'd take them into a golf shop (not Dick's).

Hi, my name is Daniel and I am new to golf. My wife plays and has gotten me interested in the game. I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I have come across, what I believe to be some pre-1900s Winter-Dobson golf clubs. I have tried looking them up online but have come up empty. The clubs have a metal plate on the bottom that say: Witner-Dobson; Dallas, TX;Handmade; 2; Model 87. Beside the plate in the wood, is a stamped engraving: REG 1893. Does anyone know anything about these clubs and/or where I could go online to find info about them?

Treat them like antiques, and put them in a nice place near the fireplace. They sound too good to use as they are "Handmade". There is a links style course up near Brandon Dunes OR, and they had antique clubs that they let you play. The balls were custom made for the clubs, I am not sure if a modern ball would be too hard on the old hand forged steel clubs. Wish I could remember the name of the place, but the owner sounded like he knows all about these historic clubs.

They are probably worth something, if not just sentimental value.

Get a beginners set (or a nice fitted set, depending upon your budget) from Golfsmiths or Dicks to actually play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, I will look into finding a golf shop to take them to. And trust me, I have no intentions of using them at all.