• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
dr5093

New to the game and I have an interesting question.

Hi, my name is Daniel and I am new to golf. My wife plays and has gotten me interested in the game. I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I have come across, what I believe to be some pre-1900s Winter-Dobson golf clubs. I have tried looking them up online but have come up empty. The clubs have a metal plate on the bottom that say: Witner-Dobson; Dallas, TX;Handmade; 2; Model 87. Beside the plate in the wood, is a stamped engraving: REG 1893. Does anyone know anything about these clubs and/or where I could go online to find info about them?

Sounds like a definite antique, and maybe one of a kind! If you've googled them and came up empty, I'd take them into a golf shop (not Dick's).

Hi, my name is Daniel and I am new to golf. My wife plays and has gotten me interested in the game. I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I have come across, what I believe to be some pre-1900s Winter-Dobson golf clubs. I have tried looking them up online but have come up empty. The clubs have a metal plate on the bottom that say: Witner-Dobson; Dallas, TX;Handmade; 2; Model 87. Beside the plate in the wood, is a stamped engraving: REG 1893. Does anyone know anything about these clubs and/or where I could go online to find info about them?

Treat them like antiques, and put them in a nice place near the fireplace. They sound too good to use as they are "Handmade". There is a links style course up near Brandon Dunes OR, and they had antique clubs that they let you play. The balls were custom made for the clubs, I am not sure if a modern ball would be too hard on the old hand forged steel clubs. Wish I could remember the name of the place, but the owner sounded like he knows all about these historic clubs.

They are probably worth something, if not just sentimental value.

Get a beginners set (or a nice fitted set, depending upon your budget) from Golfsmiths or Dicks to actually play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • A half inch is a half degree. But that still doesn't make this chart make sense. 
    • I ordered a PING G400 LST Driver with a Tour 65 x stiff shaft back in August. I was told that it wouldn't even ship until October. I had hit the regular G400 head with the x-stiff Project X HZRDUS Yellow shaft at a demo day and liked it even though I had to adjust the loft as low as it could go (8°) and I still launched it too high with too much spin. I was told the SLT head along with the Tour 65 shaft would correct the issues so I took a leap of faith and ordered it. While I waited for my driver to arrive I have been playing the demo because I hit it really straight even though I lost some distance due to launch and spin. Fast forward to yesterday, my new G400 SLT driver arrives. I take it out to the range and the course to play a few holes. What a difference! Club designers must be geniuses. Now with the loft set at 8.5° I launch the ball on a great angle and it goes and goes without falling out of the air. I haven't hit it on the monitor yet but I can tell the spin rates are much better. I hit the new driver and the demo to side by side and the SLT goes a good 15-20 yards farther. I just find it amazing what they are able to do with these driver heads by just moving a little weight around here and there. It's also a huge reason to get fitting if you want to play your best.
    • That new chart is wacked.  I have the original on my PC at home. Arturo has it the way I understood it... " the dot refers only to the head in relation to the factory standard lie angle which is black" I was measured on my wrist to floor and that gave them the starting point of Black +1". I then hit some balls off the lie board with tape and that showed I needed to be a lil upright so they gave me Blue dot, standard length shafts but it still off a bit.  Grabbed Blue dot, +1" and I was hitting the ball and board good so that was what I went with.  Any of my other clubs I have gone with 1* upright and +1" on shaft length.   ***** Just found this so I thought I would add it to the post ***** " a well-known standard in golf is that each 1/2" added to the shaft length = a 1* more UPRIGHT lie angle" Don't know if it is 100% but wanted to share as it might help OP with his dilemma.
    • Guess I'm not going to win this argument, so can't see the rules changing anytime soon. Hopefully the new 3 minute searching rule and maximum score on a hole will speed things up, as I guess that's one of the main reasons for changing them? Agree that ideally, we should have the same rules as the pros, but they do have advantages when it comes to looking for balls, in the form of a travelling army of spectators and marshals. Anybody who has followed a wild hitting group round in the British Open will know what I mean.
    • There are, particularly with Ping, a rather large set of variables.  And a large number of part options.  PowerSpec irons, as I understand, are "hosel bent" to reduce the loft.  Probably a bad description of what is done on my part but it, apparently, utilizes the cavity indentation near the heal/hosel.    Imagine doubling the number of parts in a Ping demo area.  Actually.... that's probably what they should do if they are going to offer it.  Regardless, it's back to the fitter time I am afraid.   
  • Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. KingHack82
      KingHack82
      (35 years old)
    2. TobyC
      TobyC
      (50 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon