IGNORED

Driver loft

keb
Note: This thread is 6119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Resumed golf this year after years away from the game. Purchased new clubs including Callaway X driver. Austad sales rep recommending 11 degree loft after hitting in simulator. Now that I have been playing for awhile, I am wondering whether my driver has too much loft. Is anyone out there using 11 degree loft on driver? My drives are high, but I don't think extremely so.

The best way to get this set is by testing the lofts in a simulator where its possible to monitor launch angle.

I use a 10˚ and my drives go quite high.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

High is good. I dont remember where I read it, but PGA Tour players drives get 90+ feet in the air. The longer its in the air, the farther it can travel....just have to watch your spin rates and ball speed.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

If you think you're hitting to high you could just tee it up a hair lower. I was using a 10.5 degree loft cobra and now I'm using a 9.5 r7, I don't notice a ton of difference in ball height, I donno 11 seems kinda high IMO, but I'm sure it doesn't make that big of a difference.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Its all about whats right for your swing. Some nationwide tour players use a 12* driver.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Its all about whats right for your swing. Some nationwide tour players use a 12* driver.

I hit a TM burner with 10.5* when I need a lower shot i either tee it lower or move it more towards the middle of my stance. 10.5 is pretty common so 11 isnt anything crazy.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

I use a 13.5° Ping G5. When I first got it, I felt kind of embarrassed because I didn't know anyone who had one, but my dad and my pro were telling me to get it because I had a low ball flight and this would give me better control, so I went with it and have never looked back since. I used to not really be able to hit a 10.5°. Now after a year of the 13.5° I could probably go down to a 10.5° but I'm in new rush because the driver has been one of my best clubs in my bag since the switch.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

High is good. I dont remember where I read it, but PGA Tour players drives get 90+ feet in the air. The longer its in the air, the farther it can travel....just have to watch your spin rates and ball speed.

90 seems a bit too high. I hit a 8.5 driver and unless I get under it, the ball never goes that high. My ball probably never gets more than about 60 feet off the ground and I hit the ball as long as most pros (unless I have a big mishit or the ball hits a tree mid flight or something), anywhere from 280 to 340 (yeah, I know that's a big range) and that's under horrible driving conditions (SE United States with ridiculous humidity and spongy Bermuda fairways).

I use a 13.5° Ping G5. When I first got it, I felt kind of embarrassed because I didn't know anyone who had one, but my dad and my pro were telling me to get it because I had a low ball flight and this would give me better control, so I went with it and have never looked back since. I used to not really be able to hit a 10.5°. Now after a year of the 13.5° I could probably go down to a 10.5° but I'm in new rush because the driver has been one of my best clubs in my bag since the switch.

I dunno if you can really call a 13.5* a driver, its more of a 3W that is 460CC. They work well if you have a slower swing speed or have a more attacking swing that reduces loft.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I have heard a lot of talk in the last few months from teaching pros and club fitters about most amatuers being able to benefit greatly from a 12* or 13* lofted driver. I bought a new driver recently but went with a 10.5* because of cost considerations. I would likely do a bit better with a higher loft but most of the clubs that offered 12 or 13* were out of my price range.

Doin' my best to keep 'em in the short grass,

Tobin

I Play The Muni

90 seems a bit too high. I hit a 8.5 driver and unless I get under it, the ball never goes that high. My ball probably never gets more than about 60 feet off the ground and I hit the ball as long as most pros (unless I have a big mishit or the ball hits a tree mid flight or something), anywhere from 280 to 340 (yeah, I know that's a big range) and that's under horrible driving conditions (SE United States with ridiculous humidity and spongy Bermuda fairways).

36 cap....280-340???? Something there doesnt compute. Anyhow....you may roll em out to 300-320, but the big hitters on tour carry the ball that far. There is a huge difference.....and that difference is the height they can get with low spin rates due to their incredible swing speeds.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

36 cap....280-340???? Something there doesnt compute. Anyhow....you may roll em out to 300-320, but the big hitters on tour carry the ball that far. There is a huge difference.....and that difference is the height they can get with low spin rates due to their incredible swing speeds.

Hmm, I never put that I am a 36 handicap, that must be the default setting for a profile or something. I'm around a 10 handicap. And I never said the "big hitters" in my post, I said "most players", which would imply the average to perhaps a bit above average. I was never comparing myself to Bubba Watson or JD.

Note: This thread is 6119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!