Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeparker

Do certain styles of putter help certain swing paths?

3 posts in this topic

I have a number 9 style putter and i only have a little bit of arc in my swing the putter style is sopposedly better for a player with a strong arc. I put better with this style putter than any other putter head shape... is it really all preference or does it help some people to get a putter head shape that in theory helps there game.

I find #9 good when I feel like using the back of the arm to putt like backstroke I like practice putting with one arm. The plumber necks look better when I stroke it with just forehand

Style --

How about characteristics?

Typically, a face balanced or toe down putters that maybe go down to 4:30, or a center shaft will go well with slight arcing paths.

A putter that when held straight out with a finger or two balancing the shaft and the toe pointing straight down or near straight down have traditional been what is called a strong arc style of head.

I prefer the putter that keeps your putter head square to the path -- there is no manipulation with the wrists or hands -- I call it "handless."

I try to take out the hands when I putt. Heck, I try to take out the right hand when I putt... (Ima Rightie)

What I've found is that I putt well with a heel-shafted putter that is face balanced or at 4:30 when I'm on the living room carpet.

On the course, I need a putter with heft to quiet the nerves that can take over when we're having .... fun?

So I may add weight to my toe down 34.5 inch Edel putter, or go with my

Gargantuan 38 inch face balanced Bobby Grace counter balanced putter with tungsten weights that I grip like a 34.5 inch putter.

C'est depends....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades