IGNORED

Do I have a problem if 95% of my day is thinking about golf?

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone ever do the "air" practice swing where you grip your left thumb with your right hand as though as the thumb was part of the club while you imagine addressing the ball?  My wife caught on after seeing that a few times and now she barks at me for it every time, no matter how subtle I try to be.

As far as the addiction, I think part of it has to do with the explosive nature of a well-struck ball on a full swing.  Violence, perfection, serenity, admiration.  All addicting feelings.

I do daydream golf a lot.  When I see pictures of some beautiful golf courses or swings or equipments, I do want to jump out and hit.  I watch anything golf even during football season :-D

The worst thing about playing in winter is getting to the 18th with the sun going down and not enough time for another 18.

Playing in winter? Never heard of such a thing.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

100% Addicted, I definitely started out that way for the first 10 years or so. I started my addiction as a 9 year old kid and spent too much time drawing golf course designs in class.  The worst was my high school sophomore math class. My high school bordered our city muni golf course and from my math class you could clearly watch players hit approaches to the 17th green and then tee off on #18. September through June was pure torture sitting in there watching those old retired guy's getting to play everyday while I was stuck in school.

Marriage, career, kids, home, it all changes your perspective over time. I still love the game just as much as I did when I started 39 years ago but even outside my family and career I think it's healthier to have other interests or hobbies. I've played guitar for 25 years and it's all purely for fun. I might spend a couple hours here and there trying to nail down a tricky lead but I'm never going to lose any sleep over it. In golf I've had my fair share of sleepless nights before a tournament.

These days I go to the range or golf course 3-4 days a week and I've developed a more workman like attitude over the years. Not that it's become a chore or a job but time is priceless when you have a family and when I set aside time to work on my game that's what I'm there for. I love putting on my headphones at the range, drown out the world, and work on my game. It's actually become very therapeutic to me!

So for myself the love and addiction for the game is still there after 39 years but I've learned to turn it on and off when needed. But, yes I will still work on the old shoulder turn at work from time to time,,lol!

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

If you're married, you have a problem.

A hint you're in trouble: Your wife puts your clubs up for sale on Craig's List.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As I look around my office on a day where theres still a good 1-2 feet of snow on the ground and see my putter (which I just used to practice a few rolls on the carpet), my 7-iron (which i grab regularly throughout the day on conference calls to keep my grip "just right"), and my driver (which I want to have close by just because), and a few scorecards from last year that I look over at least once a day replaying a few holes in my head, I can only say one thing: "Hi, my name is Alex and I have a golf problem.... Anyone looking for a fourth?" :-D I slipped into the realm of a full-blown addict last year when I joined a local private club. Joined late in the year and played as much as I possibly could. Of course we now have the worst winter I've seen in these parts in 10-15 years which is causing me to have the detox shakes daily. Golf channel on all the time, online videos whenever possible, clubs are as clean and my bag is as organized as its ever been. As for my wife, my situation took a bit of a different turn than others as she happened to catch the golf bug last year and is about as hooked as I could imagine. I still catch he'll from her when I play but only because she wants to go as well. Costing me a damn fortune now since we had to completely outfit her but I'm looking forward to even more guilt free time on the course next year. Hit 'em well, fellas - I'll catch up once all this frigging snow is gone. In the mean time, will see you all at the support group meetings.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

This thread is awesome, and yes I can also say that I think about golf 95% of my awake hours. Golf is a lifestyle and Im enjoying every damn minute of it!

^^^ This for sure. Well said. :-D [quote name="hopefulhacker" url="/t/72402/do-i-have-a-problem-if-95-of-my-day-is-thinking-about-golf/36#post_950260"]Totally obsessed. Guys in the office took some time to figure this out... They used to think I had either, a mental or bowel problem... Or a combination of both for a while until I got to know them. They would look on as I was in the canteen waiting for my coffee to brew... whilst waiting, I would place my hands in my pockets while I proceeded to practice the lower body feel for getting my weight forward through impact....Gentle movements down and towards the target... TIP: Best not to do this unless you tell your colleagues what you are doing!!!! :)[/quote] I just lauded out loud picturing this - so true!

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!