IGNORED

Driver Loft ?

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Guys,

looking for a new driver and i am partial to Callaway as I have an old big bertha.  At the range I was using a buddy's Xhot in a 10.5.  While it wasn't much longer then my old big bertha It was straighter and more consistant.  I was thinking maybe going original Xhot driver in a 9.5 and a xhot 3 wood.  But seems like the trend is to going to a higher loft driver? any thoughts?

• Administrator

The trend is for higher lofts, yes, because people are finally starting to clue into the distance gains to be had from "high launch/low spin."

10.5 or even 11 or 12 are the way to go for a lot more people than still believe it. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How was your friend's XHot 10.5?

Also, if you go to callawaypreowned.com, they'll have some exotic shafts at sale prices for that club.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You really need to get on a launch monitor to determine the ideal loft. The trend is certainly for higher lofts, but nothing can replace getting properly fitted.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Could not agree more, get fitted.  I am going through a fitting now for a driver and 3W with a local club maker.  My prior fittings were alway at a big box golf store or the Mizuno fitting system, so this one is a little different as it includes multiple sessions at the range.  It has been a good experience thus far, hopefully it ends with a good addition to my bag.

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

thanks for the help guys, i recently got fitted at a big box store for my ping G20 irons, i was pretty happy with the process and have seen a difference at the range and one day i snuck 9 in before the polar vortex came back here to the northeast ( i am in NJ).

still doing my research for my drivers . . .

thanks for the help guys, i recently got fitted at a big box store for my ping G20 irons, i was pretty happy with the process and have seen a difference at the range and one day i snuck 9 in before the polar vortex came back here to the northeast ( i am in NJ).

still doing my research for my drivers . . .

Luckily last weekend was in the mid 50's - I actually got a round in down near Atlantic City ... Today is a bitter 20 degrees ... This is why I am moving to Orlando ...

Ohh yea... the topic on hand: Fitting, fitting, fitting!!!

Even though I have never had an official fitting b4 ... I know my numbers are where they should be from hitting on an LM after the fact / I got lucky ... If I was in the market for a new driver I would go to a club maker.

Also, I see a lot of people & manufacturers talking up the whole "loft up" campaign ... I don't buy it, but I will not knock the fact that most people (Not Me) need help with carry distance and low spin.

Rob

I lofted up from 9.5 Callaway razr hawk to the ckevland classic 10.5 and will never look back. I was a Callaway guy since u started playing and man that ckevkand us awesome I Olay the 270. Try other brands too don't go in thinking the only club is a cally just my opinion.

Could not agree more, get fitted! IMO it is all about driver shaft length, weight, flex point, stiffness, and the feel of a firm or soft tip. After that, swing weight and total weight of the club. After that, the club head loft, face neutral open or closed, and eventually lie angle come in to play I think once you get those figured out you could throw any brand head on the end and you will have good results assuming you have a workable swing. There are a lot of options out there for a fitting, big box store, club pro, local club fitter, wishon fitter etc. IMO the latter ones will deliver a more elaborate fitting based on more than just 20 minutes on a swing monitor as they will normally include range time and the viewing of ball flight vs just numbers. Good luck, it's worth the time and effort! :-D

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

Wow thanks for all the help guys.  I was able to get out to my dicks sports freehold NJ, if anyone is ever in the area check out there golf section.  i was told it is basically the biggest golf selection east the mississippi, only bigger selections are in cali and the golf staff there is great!  I hit 5 different drivers Xhot1/10.5* Xhot2/9* pingG20/10* new big bertha and big bertha alpha think those were both 10.5*

Keep in mind my old driver was an old bertha with the firm flex shaft and my acg drive was about 240 yards.  I liked the callaway X2/9* driver and hit it consistently 263-265 and I like tha way that felt the best everything else i hit was in the 250 range and did not like the feel of the ball coming off the club face.  When my pocket allows I am gonna go X2 in driver and 3 wood!!!

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!