• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
early1981

Why Is It?

7 posts in this topic

Why is it that when I go to the practice range or a public park I hit the ball well but when I am on the course I cant do that. I would say I am a beginner. I have played a bit over the years in annual competitions etc but now I am a member at a club and want to improve my game and consistently shoot under 100. Cheers

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Why is it that when I go to the practice range or a public park I hit the ball well but when I am on the course I cant do that. I would say I am a beginner. I have played a bit over the years in annual competitions etc but now I am a member at a club and want to improve my game and consistently shoot under 100. Cheers

Welcome to TST.

Your description is not much to go on. Could you elaborate as to how you can't hit the ball?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the welcome. Well when I am on the practice range I seem to hit the ball well 80% of the time. But when it comes to playing on the course I go to pieces. I can hit a good shot then the next 10 shots you would think I have never played golf before in my life lol. My main problem is getting the ball in the air. I can hit a PW and it will travel along the ground the full distance of the shot. I bought clubs that are designed for the high handicapper and are meant to be designed for getting the ball in the air, but not for me. I also reckon my set up is different for every shot.

Dear Early,

It is great to have you here on TST.

I can tell you that I was having the same exact problems before, and I found that the main reason is because my swing is "consistent"!  The problem is that it was "consistently bad"!  and thus the results were good one day and bad the other, but overall nothing to write home about.

If you want my advice, it would be for you to start a my swing thread and let some of the people with knowledge here comment on your swing and start getting you in the right direction in terms of practicing correctly and more importantly practicing on the correct piece of your swing that will make the biggest impact and help you improve with very minimal learning curve hopefully.

I have tried it and my swing has changed significantly over the past 3 months and my contact and ball flight have significantly improved as well as my scores!

Try it and it will surprise you.. You just need a camera 120fps will do ( I think an iphone ) will do.  Just get a Down the line video and a face on view, you can look them up on this site and you will be able to get many hits on video taping your swing.

Good Luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will do that thank you very much for info and advice. ;)

My experience tells me that your mental condition on the course is not the same as on the range. On the range, who's watching and who cares?  But on the course, with friends and competitors all watching and waiting for you to perform, the self-expectations of personal betterment take over your mind.  And the result is a massive loss of self-confidence and poor shot making.

No doubt some of this problem arises in all who take up golf as adults.  Kids lack those expectations and move along quickly but most adults suffer the same stuff.

What can you do?  Keep seeking the best technique, keep improving your skill levels and keep learning to quiet your mind.

Even the TV pros talk of losing confidence and having to relearn the lesson of 'trusting the swing'.

Good advice Joe Kelly. I have uploaded a video off my swing on the forum if anyone wants a laugh go check it out lol. Cheers guys

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • The point that I was specifically responding to was, just because you're on top of another group, it still may be appropriate to allow others through.  Just because @No Mulligans hadn't experienced it, didn't mean that the concept was moot by any means... And fwiw, our relatively fast group has allowed 5-somes through....
    • These guys haven't gotten to where they are without being ultra-competitive.  I don't think the lack of money had any real effect on their desire to win.
    • The slice is just such a devastating miss for your game. It is a shot that I really have to eliminate from my game. I am an incredibly inconsistent player, to the point where I can be hitting a beautiful high fade and start to go pin hunting for several holes, having several looks at birdie in a row and then within the next several holes be almost unable to hit the ball without hitting a horrendous slice. I am so inconsistent that it is not abnormal for me to go something like par, birdie, par, birdie, par, quad, quad, quad in an eight hole stretch.
    • I recently won some pro shop credit ($100) at a semi-private course nearby.  Thing is, I need to use it before November or it expires. I don't really need any clothes or accessories so I was thinking I might put it towards a new driver.  The problem is, while I'm sure I can test it out on the range, they just have regular old range balls and I'm doubtful there's any kind of fitting process.  I also can't really play a round there with a demo club unless I'm someone's guest or I'm willing to shell out $100+ to play off-peak times (which I'm not).  There's a decent golf shop down the road from the course that offers fittings for $75/hour, with a $50 credit toward a related purchase within 30 days.  I've never had a proper fitting, so would it make sense to go to the golf shop, get fit, assume I'll probably get a custom shaft, go buy the same driver at the pro shop using my credit, and then buy the shaft from the golf store, applying the fitting credit?  When you get fit and end up with a custom shaft, is the shaft price usually totally on top of the full price of the off-the-rack driver, or is there typically a discount since you're not getting the OEM shaft? Obviously different stores do things differently, but I'm just wondering what is common practice. I'm trying not to overthink it but I also don't want to waste my pro shop credit. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • The whole thing gets started with: Single Plane Swing, Full Extension at address, which is where you will be at impact - so start there; also the opportunity for Single Length irons, which would make it easier in establishing a consistent swing. Wishon says we are victims of Marketing (someone selling you Lighter is better, lower lofted clubs for faster swing) buying the mass produced clubs off the shelf. Yep - I agree! These clubs do not fit me; not worth the cost. My intent is not to increase my swing speed, or see how far I can Drive the ball off the tee. (Leave it in your pants; no one cares how long you are except maybe your lover.) I am in the game of Golf to play good. Accuracy trumps distance in my book. I watch all the Tell-a-vison crap Pro's driving great distances into the rough and trees. Just not fun for me to do that. You see they cut the grass much lower on the fairway so the second shot is easier. My PW is very heavy. Bryson's Single Irons are 280+grams head weight. I wanted to try a 6 iron heavy at 280grams. Can't get one. You can't skim read my first post and understand much. I have listened to interviews with Mo Norman several times. He states very clearly what he needed to do with his clubs. This helps a great deal. But the fitter can't help me (though Wishon tells me to go see one) because he has never heard of single plane, he has never built a heavy club head, and he can't purchase anything over 274grams. He is programmed somewhat like the mass produced manufacturers Wishon speaks out against. And it still comes back to my favorite club in the bag: a heavy PW X18R. It's short and heavy and I want to try this in the lower number irons. I'll build it myself and I will stop asking the so-called "experts" for help. If we stop comparing ourselves against others we can focus on our game. So what if your neighbor hits his 6i 200 yards. I'll pull out my 3 hybrid to get there. So What!!! My focus is accuracy. First target is the fairway on the way to the Green (short grass); then there is the Pin on the Green and that little hole. Targets require accuracy; "Left-Right-Left-Right" all the time is unacceptable to me. Lately I have noticed that one mass-produced club is going heavier - against the industry norm. Boccieri Golf seems to headed my way.   RLW
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. wadekilpatrick76
      wadekilpatrick76
      (40 years old)
  • Blog Entries