Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dables

Question about the Trusty rusty

6 posts in this topic

All, I have a question about my Trusty Rusty lob wedge. Even though it has the Tri-bounce sole, I'd like to find out if it could be ground down to a flat zero bounce. I have a wedge that I did this to myself years and years ago that I've played since high school, but I'm not willing to mess up a club that like by trying on my own. (I was 16 then and didn't know any better) so my questions are:

- Does a club have to be forged to do this?

- Is the Trusty Rusty Forged?

- Can anyone that typically does this sort of work match the bounce on the wedge I'm trying to duplicate?

All, I have a question about my Trusty Rusty lob wedge. Even though it has the Tri-bounce sole, I'd like to find out if it could be ground down to a flat zero bounce. I have a wedge that I did this to myself years and years ago that I've played since high school, but I'm not willing to mess up a club that like by trying on my own. (I was 16 then and didn't know any better) so my questions are:

- Does a club have to be forged to do this?

- Is the Trusty Rusty Forged?

- Can anyone that typically does this sort of work match the bounce on the wedge I'm trying to duplicate?

a) I don't know why you'd ever want zero bounce. Bounce is your friend in a wedge.

b) Does a club have to be forged to be ground? No. Vokey wedges are cast and ground.

c) I think a club designed to rust is probably forged, yes.

d) What are you wanting to do exactly?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I want the leading edge of the club to sit completely flush to the ground. The club is pretty close, but I haven't found a club the way I want it without getting it ground. My short game is far and away my strength as a player and I really want to get this club just the way I want it or I will end up pulling it from the bag in favor of my old wedge, which is past worn out after seeing probably 2000 rounds since my Dad and I assembled and customized it 2004

I want the leading edge of the club to sit completely flush to the ground. The club is pretty close, but I haven't found a club the way I want it without getting it ground. My short game is far and away my strength as a player and I really want to get this club just the way I want it or I will end up pulling it from the bag in favor of my old wedge, which is past worn out after seeing probably 2000 rounds since my Dad and I assembled and customized it 2004

So lean the shaft forward a bit. Bam: leading edge on the ground. :)

Bounce is your friend.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So lean the shaft forward a bit. Bam: leading edge on the ground. :)

Bounce is your friend.

Totally get your point about bounce, I play a SW with 16 degrees bounce for that very reason. I play the 2 clubs very differently. Perhaps bounce isn't what I want to change, it's more how the club looks when I set it down. When I put my SW on the ground, it sits almost like a half an egg, with a clear curve that can tilt one way or another. With the wedge I'm trying to replicate, it sits flat on the ground like a block of wood that's cut on an angle on 1 side. Does any of that make sense?

I'm certain I only want it this way because I learned to play on crappy courses with lots of hardpan and wanted to hit flop shots anyway. I made the club for that and I've learned to play it in every condition. It's hard to believe that as much of a club ho as I am I'm afraid of change with that one club.

To follow up on this, turns out it wasn't the bounce I wanted changed but the sole relief. Took the guy 5 minutes and the result is exactly what I wanted