IGNORED

2014 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nope, not at all.  William Tecumseh Sherman was born in Lancaster Ohio and he burned Alabama with this scorched earth warfare during the civil war. :whistle:

He burned Georgia, but what's the difference right?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He burned Georgia, but what's the difference right?

Nothing really, still a southern state. I am sure if Alabama was on his hit list, or actually important enough, he would have burned Alabama to the ground as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I just read that Bama has only allowed 3 rushing touchdowns this season. Now I wish I had seen all the games.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46950/film-study-nick-sabans-pattern-matching-pass-defense

I thought you would enjoy this. It is an OSU Blog, but they do a really good job at the X's & O's on opposing teams. Here is the break down on Saban's defensive schemes and little history on how it was developed.

With Jone's cannon for an arm and with two deep threats in Thomas and Smith for Ohio State I am sure there will be a lot of shots taken down field to keep those DB's on their heels a bit.

Even if it is a matchup zone, you can still overload the zone and run plays to clear out an area to give you 1 on 1 scenarios. I think you just got to get creative with the route calls to force the hand of the DB's and then run a route with another WR that takes advantage of that situation. If you know they run this sort of pattern versus this route combination. Then throw in a wrinkle that forces that call and run a route that is favorable to your WR in that situation. Basically run a dummy route. Still in the end like any good team it is the WR versus the DB, and OSU's WR will have to win some 1 on 1 matchups.

Alabama has some huge D-lineman, even their defensive ends are 290 lbs. Looks like they like to just act as roadblocks and let their athletic linebackers make plays. I would bet OSU runs a lot of sweep plays to force those big lineman to go sideline to sideline. That can soften up the middle as well.

I think OSU will turn up the tempo even more in this game. Even if Alabama is 10 deep on the line, it doesn't help when 4 of them get stuck in for a drive and are forced to cover sideline to sideline, especially if OSU gets on a roll.

I am not saying OSU will have clear success on this. I don't think Alabama has faced an offense that is this efficient maybe since Auburn. Auburn put up 44 points on Alabama. Not saying OSU will put up 44 points. It does show that Alabama is human when they have cracks in that armor.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/738#post_1089049"] Do you think that since General George Armstrong Custer was from Ohio it will effect the Buckeyes? I ask that because of a Buckeye quarterback by the name of Art Schlichter who had some problems also. I am not so sure about that area. There are 5 Bama players on the Bengals team and they still only just made it to the playoffs.[/QUOTE] I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 20% of this year's Buckeyes know who Custer was. Schlister certainly has had a lot of problems, but I wasn't aware that he had been killed by Indians or by the Tide. As far as I'm aware, he's safe and sound in prison.  As far as the Bengals go, they'd do better with those Alabama guys if Saban hadn't taken the best out of them during their college days.

I am sure, since one of the 5 Bamabengals is on the IR list, that they will have a chance if he comes back in. My prediction is Bama / Oregon. However, for those readers who are unfamiliar, there is a quote. On any given day an SEC team can beat another SEC team. I dont think that quote will be modified to include other conferences, but I see things through crimson glasses.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I am sure, since one of the 5 Bamabengals is on the IR list, that they will have a chance if he comes back in.

My prediction is Bama / Oregon. However, for those readers who are unfamiliar, there is a quote. On any given day an SEC team can beat another SEC team. I dont think that quote will be modified to include other conferences, but I see things through crimson glasses.

“We've talked to several coaches in their league and every coach to a ‘T’ said -- these are coaches that have been in the SEC -- without a doubt, they've got an SEC team,” Crimson Tide defensive coordinator Kirby Smart said. “They look on film just like one of the teams we play, if not better, because they've got big, fast receivers. Big, fast skilled guys.

“Do they look like an SEC team? Are they built like an SEC team? Yes, they're fast and big and they're physical. They've got SEC speed and SEC size. They just don't play in the SEC.”

-Alabama's Defense Coordinator

Just saying, the guy who is game planning against Ohio state says they got SEC speed and size. Ohio State just doesn't play in the SEC.

Crimson colored glasses can get you beat :whistle: Luckily for you your D-Coordinator isn't looking through the same glasses you are.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46950/film-study-nick-sabans-pattern-matching-pass-defense

I thought you would enjoy this. It is an OSU Blog, but they do a really good job at the X's & O's on opposing teams. Here is the break down on Saban's defensive schemes and little history on how it was developed.

With Jone's cannon for an arm and with two deep threats in Thomas and Smith for Ohio State I am sure there will be a lot of shots taken down field to keep those DB's on their heels a bit.

Even if it is a matchup zone, you can still overload the zone and run plays to clear out an area to give you 1 on 1 scenarios. I think you just got to get creative with the route calls to force the hand of the DB's and then run a route with another WR that takes advantage of that situation. If you know they run this sort of pattern versus this route combination. Then throw in a wrinkle that forces that call and run a route that is favorable to your WR in that situation. Basically run a dummy route. Still in the end like any good team it is the WR versus the DB, and OSU's WR will have to win some 1 on 1 matchups.

Alabama has some huge D-lineman, even their defensive ends are 290 lbs. Looks like they like to just act as roadblocks and let their athletic linebackers make plays. I would bet OSU runs a lot of sweep plays to force those big lineman to go sideline to sideline. That can soften up the middle as well.

I think OSU will turn up the tempo even more in this game. Even if Alabama is 10 deep on the line, it doesn't help when 4 of them get stuck in for a drive and are forced to cover sideline to sideline, especially if OSU gets on a roll.

I am not saying OSU will have clear success on this. I don't think Alabama has faced an offense that is this efficient maybe since Auburn. Auburn put up 44 points on Alabama. Not saying OSU will put up 44 points. It does show that Alabama is human when they have cracks in that armor.

Auburn didn't put up 44 points running the ball. I am an Auburn fan and hate the tide. But I think OSU is outmatched in every aspect.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Auburn didn't put up 44 points running the ball. I am an Auburn fan and hate the tide. But I think OSU is overmatched in every aspect.

I never said they did by running the ball. I was just saying what Ohio State would probably do to deal with those over-sized D-lineman. Get them moving sideline to sideline. Auburn did have a few big run plays on the edge with some Jet Sweep plays. I think when you have big D-lineman you got to keep them moving. The advantage they have is just pure helmet on helmet strength and acting as a brick wall.

In terms of the 44 points I was just pointing out efficient offenses. Auburn was having trouble in the run game, but they still lite up Alabama in throwing the ball. The only team similar to Ohio State that Alabama has played all year in terms of just pure offensive power is Auburn. Ohio State has been pretty balanced all year long in terms of their offense.

I'd like to hear why you think they will be overmatched?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I never said they did by running the ball. I was just saying what Ohio State would probably do to deal with those over-sized D-lineman. Get them moving sideline to sideline. Auburn did have a few big run plays on the edge with some Jet Sweep plays. I think when you have big D-lineman you got to keep them moving. The advantage they have is just pure helmet on helmet strength and acting as a brick wall.

In terms of the 44 points I was just pointing out efficient offenses. Auburn was having trouble in the run game, but they still lite up Alabama in throwing the ball. The only team similar to Ohio State that Alabama has played all year in terms of just pure offensive power is Auburn. Ohio State has been pretty balanced all year long in terms of their offense.

I'd like to hear why you think they will be overmatched?

I was speaking to the run the defense sideline to sideline statement. Bammer has the best run defense I have seen in a long time, and it hurts me to say that. I watched Auburn try to run around the ends, and they failed all day. Don't think OSU has played against a defense any where close to the talent of the tide. OSU is close to a top tear SEC team, but not there yet. But I think they will be soon, Urban knows what it takes. Third string QB can't help, although sure didn't seem to hurt in the game against Wisconson. Will be interesting game to watch, and when it comes right down too it........................................................ I hope they both lose ! :-P Not really, if bammer was playing ISIS I think I would pull for ISIS !!

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Haters gonna hate, but the real reason people dont fair well against Bama D is those linemen have flat bellies. And they are huge. Not a lot of the stereotypical floppy fat to slow them down. MAYBE the blindside OT is a touch heavy.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Haters gonna hate, but the real reason people dont fair well against Bama D is those linemen have flat bellies. And they are huge. Not a lot of the stereotypical floppy fat to slow them down. MAYBE the blindside OT is a touch heavy.

Don't hate the team, just the numerous, obnoxious, Harvey Updike type fans. (Not directed at you)

Urban knows what an SEC type defense is, he just doesn't play any.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/756#post_1089244"] Haters gonna hate, but the real reason people dont fair well against Bama D is those linemen have flat bellies. And they are huge. Not a lot of the stereotypical floppy fat to slow them down. MAYBE the blindside OT is a touch heavy.[/QUOTE] Don't hate the team, just the numerous, obnoxious, Harvey Updike type fans. (Not directed at you) Urban knows what an SEC type defense is, he just doesn't play any.

Harvey Updike is now a name that resides in infamy. A real nut who actually believed what he was doing was right when he expressed what he had done on the Finebaum show. But Ohio has a few also. Like Jeffrey Dahmer.

Tom R.

Don't hate the team, just the numerous, obnoxious, Harvey Updike type fans. (Not directed at you)

Urban knows what an SEC type defense is, he just doesn't play any.

Of course he doesn't he's the head coach :-P

Harvey Updike is now a name that resides in infamy. A real nut who actually believed what he was doing was right when he expressed what he had done on the Finebaum show. But Ohio has a few also. Like Jeffrey Dahmer.

Dahmer was from Wisconsin

Still, that is way :offtopic:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Harbaugh to Michigan!!!!!!!!!!

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Dahmer was from Wisconsin

Says the guy who thought Sherman marched through Alabama....    LOL ;-)

Anyway, Dahmer was born in Wisconsin but from age 6 through high school (Revere), he was in Ohio... :whistle:

Back on topic,  I truly hope Ohio State does well against Alabama.   Not because I like OSU but because I would like to see the B1G be relevant again..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Nah, its Alabama vs Ohio State week. And Dahmer grew up in Bath, Ohio. Killed his first person there. So how does Ohio State have 413 NFL draft picks overall and Bama only 319? And Ohio State has a history of 67 first round draft picks. Thats remarkable. Bama only has 49. Ohio State has 7 Heisman winners. 7! Bama has 1. Ohio State must have alumni on the selection comittees.

Tom R.

Says the guy who thought Sherman marched through Alabama....    LOL

Anyway, Dahmer was born in Wisconsin but from age 6 through high school (Revere), he was in Ohio...

Back on topic,  I truly hope Ohio State does well against Alabama.   Not because I like OSU but because I would like to see the B1G be relevant again..

He's sorta right on this one, There is a historic marker about 1/4 mile from my house that tells about Sherman coming through this area and destroying the iron works in a small town called Shelby.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

So how does Ohio State have 413 NFL draft picks overall and Bama only 319?

And Ohio State has a history of 67 first round draft picks. Thats remarkable. Bama only has 49. Ohio State has 7 Heisman winners. 7! Bama has 1.

Ohio State must have alumni on the selection comittees.

Don't know, ask NFL scouts.

During the Tressel Year, and the 2nd half of Cooper's years at OSU, they sent 47 more players to the NFL than Alabama. Though I might say that those were Alabama's dark ages when they averaged 5-6 loses a year. So yea, Ohio State kinda built up a lead there on Alabama when they had some tough times.

Year's Ohio State has a Heisman Winner - 1944, 1950, 1955, 1974, 1975, 1995, 2006

They only had two in the last 40 years. They had 5 over a 31 year stretch before that. Well, 4, Archie won it twice.

Looks like he will come closer to playing that type defense than scheduling any

Huh?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!