IGNORED

Are you happy with your current network of golf buddies?

PeterKratsios
Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Our happy little group varies between 8-12 somewhat regular players.  As a general rule I schedule a time Friday afternoons and Sunday mornings.  Onus is on the players to let me know if they'd like to play on either or both days by Tuesday evening via text or email.  On Wed I book as many times as necessary to accommodate the confirmed players, whether I'm playing or not.  Everyone understands that if they miss the Tues deadline, they may not get to play.  They equally know that if they commit and something comes up, to let me know immediately.

We tend to play 4 or 5 courses that we like and are central to everyone.  Pretty simple and it works for us.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My best golf partner is an hour away. If I was retired, I would be able to get in the birdie club or play with more people. I wish I had a group and I feel like I am the one always arranging golf get togethers. I don't how I am always the one to put things together all the time. Since I live in a semi remote area, I doubt that the app would be much use, but I would try it out.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I actually only have about 4-5 guys who I regularly play with. The problem is, I usually still end up playing solo about 90% of the time. I would love to have a few more reliable and fun guys that I can count on to golf with though. I usually find myself flying solo when I play because nobody ever seems to be available to golf early. I have two kids, so I like to wake up at 5am, shower, check the weather.. grab my coffee and go. I love 6:30-7:00AM tee times and most of the people that I know want to tee off at noon or 2 PM, which just doesn't work for me that often. Plus, what's better than a coffee followed by a cold beer and hot dog before tee time? That's the breakfast of champions... :beer:

My "network" includes several people who are new to the game. Problem is, these are the guys who will decide at the last minute they need to clean the garage rather than show up to play.

I live in Ilinois and work in Missouri, so I'm stuck in two very loose networks, rather than a single strong one.

Fortunately, if I show up solo to my home course, I can usually pick up a round without much hassle.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I actually only have about 4-5 guys who I regularly play with. The problem is, I usually still end up playing solo about 90% of the time. I would love to have a few more reliable and fun guys that I can count on to golf with though. I usually find myself flying solo when I play because nobody ever seems to be available to golf early. I have two kids, so I like to wake up at 5am, shower, check the weather.. grab my coffee and go. I love 6:30-7:00AM tee times and most of the people that I know want to tee off at noon or 2 PM, which just doesn't work for me that often. Plus, what's better than a coffee followed by a cold beer and hot dog before tee time? That's the breakfast of champions...

Coffee, Cold Beer, AND Hot Dog before 7am is very impressive. I like your style!

• Upvote 1

Best friend -- got married and bought a house. Bought a new hybrid recently; I asked him if it was an Adams, and before I could list another brand, he told me it was a Ford Focus. He hasn't played golf in a while, and probably won't any time soon :-(.

That's great! You know you're addicted to golf when... :-D

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

I downloaded the app last night after reading this. Being new to SLC, it's taken time to find some regular golf buddies, but I've found a few (mostly transplants like myself). So this app could prove helpful to people in my situation (assuming the word gets out). I've only had it for less than a day, so I'll probably have more suggestions as I use the app more... But here is one: Allow users to choose more than one item in each category. For instance, I would have preferred to choose 3 selections in golf style... Friendly, Wager, and Parent With Kids. All 3 of those would fit what I'm looking for, and would give me more options, same for any user likely. Same with the Age selection... I don't really care about the age of the player, so if I choose my age, would that exclude someone 10 years younger, or 30 years older? Maybe it should be just an age minimum?

I downloaded the app last night after reading this. Being new to SLC, it's taken time to find some regular golf buddies, but I've found a few (mostly transplants like myself). So this app could prove helpful to people in my situation (assuming the word gets out).

I've only had it for less than a day, so I'll probably have more suggestions as I use the app more... But here is one:

Allow users to choose more than one item in each category. For instance, I would have preferred to choose 3 selections in golf style... Friendly, Wager, and Parent With Kids. All 3 of those would fit what I'm looking for, and would give me more options, same for any user likely.

Same with the Age selection... I don't really care about the age of the player, so if I choose my age, would that exclude someone 10 years younger, or 30 years older? Maybe it should be just an age minimum?

That sounds weird. Is this a Tinder-style app, or a golf-buddy app? I'm not sure I care about age. Put a disclaimer on the app saying you need to be 18+ to use it (for simple security/privacy reasoning since you are actively meeting strangers off of the internet) and do away with the age. Age should be an optional profile item that users can view if they care enough.

I think there's something "odd" about searching for a golf buddy as if you're searching for someone to go on a 7AM date with. "I want my golf buddy to be 6'-6'4, dark hair/dark eyes, athletic build and 200lbs, 18-25 years old and be a 10-15hc!". Weird, imho, and I think most people would agree age isn't that important when you're looking for someone to pair up with.

I downloaded the app last night after reading this. Being new to SLC, it's taken time to find some regular golf buddies, but I've found a few (mostly transplants like myself). So this app could prove helpful to people in my situation (assuming the word gets out).

I've only had it for less than a day, so I'll probably have more suggestions as I use the app more... But here is one:

Allow users to choose more than one item in each category. For instance, I would have preferred to choose 3 selections in golf style... Friendly, Wager, and Parent With Kids. All 3 of those would fit what I'm looking for, and would give me more options, same for any user likely.

Same with the Age selection... I don't really care about the age of the player, so if I choose my age, would that exclude someone 10 years younger, or 30 years older? Maybe it should be just an age minimum?

Thank you very much for your feedback! Keep it coming.

1) I definitely agree with your suggestion to choose multiple criteria when it comes to the 'Type of Game' you are looking for.  We will also look into this for other criteria that users can filter.

2) If age is not a factor, simply do not touch that feature, and we will suggest you golfers of all ages.

That sounds weird. Is this a Tinder-style app, or a golf-buddy app? I'm not sure I care about age. Put a disclaimer on the app saying you need to be 18+ to use it (for simple security/privacy reasoning since you are actively meeting strangers off of the internet) and do away with the age. Age should be an optional profile item that users can view if they care enough.

I think there's something "odd" about searching for a golf buddy as if you're searching for someone to go on a 7AM date with. "I want my golf buddy to be 6'-6'4, dark hair/dark eyes, athletic build and 200lbs, 18-25 years old and be a 10-15hc!". Weird, imho, and I think most people would agree age isn't that important when you're looking for someone to pair up with.

I appreciate your feedback.  Our app can be used in many different ways...

1) Someone looking to network with others in their industry

2) For specific type of golfers you are looking to play with...age, handicap, game time, game day, tees, the type of game...etc

3) If you want to use it to find someone, like you would a dating app, you can certainly try that as well

People these days use social platforms for a myriad of reasons to "meet" someone before they actually meet in person, so I don't see why golf should be any different.  You are going to randomly get paired with someone on the course, why not at least give yourself the best chance of finding that ideal golfing buddy?

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!