IGNORED

Weight Room

gjwhite
Note: This thread is 6041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This seems the most appropriate board for this topic. How many of you out there a) go to the gym for weight/cardio training, and b) have a golf specific routine?

I've been lifting weights for about 6 years to build and maintain strength, while I've been running for about 3 and I must say when I train harder at either, my game seems to become a touch more solid.

Lately I've been doing exercises geared towards the muscles used in the golf swing, namely back, core, forearms, shoulders and legs (throw in chest and you've got a full body work out).

Anyone try experimenting with their routines?

In my bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R5 Dual-N, Stock stiff, 9.5*
Woods: 3 & 5 wood, Taylor Made Supersteel
Irons: Nike ProCombo, stiff, 3 through pitchingWedges: Wilson Harmonized, 55* SW, 60* LWPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport Studio 2.5Ball: Whatever ends up in my bag

i try to get into the gym as often as possible, usually about 4-5 times a week. I dont do any golf specific stuff, but i work almost all of the muscle groups (chest, back, biceps, forearms etc). I dunno really if its helped my golf game, my distance keeps increasing in small amounts, but it may just be that my swing is slowly improving. O well it certainly doesn't hurt your golf swing.

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

it can hurt your swing by trying to bulk up instead of keeping in shape. when i lift for golf i lift less weight than i would for basketball(my other sport). if you bulk up too much you become stiff and lose flexibility, which is one of the most important things in the golf swing

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

I only really try to maintain my cardio. I run about 25 miles a week. The only other things I do are push ups/pull ups/sit ups. I don't think it's done a whole lot for my game, accept when we play 18 holes in mid july and its 105, and the guys I'm playing with are dying carrying their bags, I'm as fresh as can be.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Bulk won't help in any sport where flexibility is required--I think the main thing weight lifting can do for the golf swing is provide much more stability over the golf ball which translates into not necessarily increased yardage (although it can), but more consistent ball striking. Specifically, the stronger your legs, lower back and core, the better the base for your swing.

In my bag:

Irons: Nike ProCombo, stiff, 3 through pitchingWedges: Wilson Harmonized, 55* SW, 60* LWPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport Studio 2.5Ball: Whatever ends up in my bag

it can hurt your swing by trying to bulk up instead of keeping in shape. when i lift for golf i lift less weight than i would for basketball(my other sport). if you bulk up too much you become stiff and lose flexibility, which is one of the most important things in the golf swing

Also, on the note of flexibility, it's a common misconception that the bigger your muscles, the less flexibile you become. In actuality weak muscles lead to inflexibility. Being stiff is a result of ineffective, improper or lack of proper and thorough stretching routines.

In my bag:

Also, on the note of flexibility, it's a common misconception that the bigger your muscles, the less flexibile you become. In actuality weak muscles lead to inflexibility. Being stiff is a result of ineffective, improper or lack of proper and thorough stretching routines.

i know...thats why i work out with lighter weights than if i wanted to bulk up...not working out at all would hurt flexibility

in my bag

and i learned all of that from the coaches at wake forest so i trust them

in my bag

You are correct, but there is a happy medium. When your muscles reach a certain size, you will begin to lose flexibility and range of motion, but I dont think most of us will ever run into the problem.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Look at KJ Choi. Powerlifter. Watch his hip turn in slow motion. It looks like he is swinging slow, but his leg drive is outstanding. Squats and Deads are where its at.

and i learned all of that from the coaches at wake forest so i trust them

For future reference, they are wrong.

Other than the absolute extreme, the bigger and stronger you are the better you will perform. Funny how the human body has limits... Just because you powerlift, doesnt mean you will end up as an overweight, 300+ lb monster. You may just end up as a better, faster, stronger version of yourself. I ONLY do powerlifting work: Pendlay Rows Bench OHP Squats Deadlifts and sometimes speed work like snatches and cleans. I can roll out of the bed, hung over with 2 hours of sleep and put both my palms on the floor with straight legs. Im 5'7 and weigh just a shade under 200lbs. I believe it was Flex Wheeler that used to do splits as part of his posing routine in the Olympia You think an Olympic Pole Vaulter or long jumper does sets of 50 "Pec Flyes" so he can "feel the burn" and not get "too big"... I dont think so. What about a gymnast? Dont believe everything a coach tells you... Unfortunately even at that high of a level, when it comes to crossing disciplines they usually dont know as much as they think they do.

I work out at the gym regularly, but mostly for hockey, I usually do cardio arms and legs, I like to work all around.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

the best exercise I've found for golf is using a rowing machine. You build a lot of back and arm strengh as well as an aerobic workout. Also a good replacement for running if you have bad knees

I always thought that would be a good cardio workout for golf. It would help build muscle in your back and arms while helping you lose weight. I may move from jogging to that and see how it turns out.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

That's a pretty bold statement considering all of this is based on a matter of opinion and personal preference. Just because ONLY powerlifting may work for you does not mean that it would for me or anyone else. Nearly everything I have ever read for golf fitness has been to use lighter weights with more reps working mainly on core exercises and a stronger base. This adds balance and stability to your swing. So saying that ONLY powerlifting is the way to go seems like the incorrect choice IMO.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post

I didnt say that... I said "they are wrong"

Because he said " if you bulk up too much you become stiff and lose flexibility, which is one of the most important things in the golf swing" He then implied his coaches had told him that.. They are wrong. Im not saying that lifting like a powerlifter will work for everyone, BUT it isnt like lifting heavy weights will magically make you gain 100lbs of muscle overnight. People seem to think if you go to the gym and work out heavy you will just "get huge" overnight. It just doesnt work that way. You may work out for 5 years and not gain 20lbs. But I can absolutely guarantee that the core strength you gain from "ass to the floor" squatting 315, will be a lot better than tossing a 5lb medicine ball around while standing on some gel pads. Bulk does not equal lost flexibility. It just doesnt work that way, period. All you have to do to maintain flexibility is stretch, simple as that. Of course I would agree that there is an effective limit. Doing complete bulking/cutting cycles to pack on as much mass as you can doesnt make sense. But diet addresses all of those concerns. Adding strength will ALWAYS help your golf game, and getting stronger doesnt mean adding lots of pounds of fat (or muscle either necessarily). my whole point is that all the sissy, half ass "core work" takes a lot more time and is *maybe* 70% as effective as real lifting. Its better than nothing, no doubt about that! But to shy away from a more advanced program if you can handle it, so you dont "bulk up too much" is a joke.

Nearly everything I have ever read for golf fitness has been to use lighter weights with more reps working mainly on core exercises and a stronger base.

BTW, There is a reason that is what you read... because the people writing those articles have ZERO experience, either factual or theoretical with Olympic lifting and increasing strength while still meeting weight.

That is my whole point, you cant honestly tell me the guy doing "core work" is stronger at the same weight, than his counterpart who is an olympic lifter... remember SAME WEIGHT. That debunks the whole myth in one statement :) I know I come off a little strong sometimes, but people just herd around like little sheep without actually Questioning what people are saying... they just assume that because it was in Golf Digest it HAS to be right. Just sit back and ponder my second paragraph for a second and ask yourself how being stronger (a lot) than you are now, and leaner, but at the Same weight, could possibly be bad for your golf game?

Note: This thread is 6041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!