IGNORED

Club advice for the mid handicapper.

Note: This thread is 3669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

This is my first post since joining and I am after some advice on my clubs. Currently I have the following in the bag:

Big Bertha Driver (2008 one) with a regular shaft, given from a friend.

Nike Covert 3 Wood (2013) stiff shaft.

Nike Slingshot 3 Hybrid to PW (2010) regular shaft.

Cleveland 588 RTX 56 Degree (2013).

Cleveland 588 DIADIC 53 Degree.

Nike Clearview putter.

The Covert is a recent purchase and the stiff shaft seems to work well for me, it goes like a dream (230 yards on a good hit). On purchase from "American Golf" they said my swing speed was between 85-90 mph which I hope to increase as I get better. The stiffer shaft seems to be a better option.

My thoughts are that I should get a newer driver with a stiff shaft it is my worst club in the bag and doesn't seem to go very far (240-250 yards on a good hit) and possibly replace my Irons for properly fitted ones as they are just off the shelf from "American Golf" but have served me well so far.

I'm becoming a bit of a swing geek and think I could be playing off low teens by the end of the season, so I might wait till then for new irons but should it get stiffer shafts with them also?

I'm only off 18 at the moment but have only been playing seriously for 2 years. Any advice for fitting or new clubs would be great.

If your hitting your irons good no need to change. There is a YouTube video were Mark crossfield hits a project x 6.0 against a woman's graphite shaft. I would watch that video it will explain more then I can. But flex is not what everyone believes it is. But it is also a game of confidence so if it makes you feel better do it.

Seems like you're going to increase your golf activity. If that's the case, you might start with lessons to identify any significant flaws and stabilize your swing.

Then, get fitted for clubs. Your swing doesn't have to be perfect to benefit from a fitting, just somewhat stable. You don't have to buy 14 clubs all at once. You can determine the specifications you need for different types of clubs (drivers, wedges, etc.), and buy them a few at a time.

Fittings range from static to dynamic...

• Static is a basic fitting that looks at shaft length, lie angle, grip thickness and swing speed (to estimate shaft flex needed). Probably takes an hour or so. Usually included in purchase price of the clubs.
  • A full dynamic looks at all of the above, plus tests you for different shaft types, estimates where you should put hybrids between irons and FWs, etc. You often get data similar to what the Mizuno shaft optimizer delivers. This can be an all-day affair, or split between two days. The most involved ones are done at dedicated fitting centers. There's often a fee of $150 on up depending on its complexity. If you get fit a Ping headquarters in Arizona, it will cost you more than at the local Golf Galaxy or GolfTec.
  • A specific fitting for a driver or irons would fall in between, involving some elements of the dynamic fitting, but focusing on that one club type. These often are free if you buy a new club.

If your (driver) clubhead speed is 85-90 MPH, you're roughly on the Regular-Stiff flex dividing line . And, you could benefit from a launch monitor to see which driver head + shaft combinations work best for you.

Many golf shops have trade-in clubs they need to sell. Sometimes the clubfitter can find you a used set that fits you, or can be tweaked a little to fit you.Sometimes you can find a decent teaching pro who's also a clubfitter.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm becoming a bit of a swing geek and think I could be playing off low teens by the end of the season, so I might wait till then for new irons but should it get stiffer shafts with them also?

You've come to the right place for that. Just keep an open  mind and absorb as much good information as you can.

This section will keep you preoccupied for a long time, it's always good to have knowledge.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts

Also, I recommend you posting a video of your swing here,

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Here are some guidelines on how,

http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

You will get some great advice from some very smart people about the golf swing.

Welcome to the forum, and hope you stick around!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you are hitting 240-250 with a 90mph swing speed, it sounds like you are getting good distance.  My swing speed is around 90 with similar distance.  All the clubs you mention are quality sticks. If your fitting specs are in the "average" range for shaft length and lie, then you should be able to reduce your handicap with practice and a coach.  Of course, new clubs can always give you a confidence boost if they feel good and look good.

Thanks for the advice,

I'll definitely trawl through the forum links and look at the posts.The differences in club fitting are interesting and I'll look to see how things are towards the end of the year and find a place to get fitted.

Winter here in the UK is a good time for off season practice and adjustment. Uploading a video of my swing is great idea so I'll look to do that soon.

My GIR stats are pretty poor so accuracy is clearly needed so a good coach will need to be found as I normally only 2 putt which leads for a lot of frustrating bogeys.

Thanks again

Note: This thread is 3669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!