IGNORED

I'm hitting my iron shots fat?

Note: This thread is 6086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone help me with this problem. All my irons shots are going really high in the air and im losing distace because of these fat shots. Any pointers will help alot. Thanks!!

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Maybe you mean "thin", generally when I hit something high and short its not fat, fat would be a line drive. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm having trouble imagining your situation, hence making it difficult to try and help you.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Maybe you mean "thin", generally when I hit something high and short its not fat, fat would be a line drive. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm having trouble imagining your situation, hence making it difficult to try and help you.

Hitting it thin means a line drive.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Can anyone help me with this problem. All my irons shots are going really high in the air and im losing distace because of these fat shots. Any pointers will help alot. Thanks!!

Move the ball back in your stance so that you will hit the ball first.

In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

Are you hitting turf before the ball?? You may not be hitting it "fat" if you are sending the ball very high into the air. Chunkers usually don't go anywhere at all. Are you just scooping the ball maybe?....trying to "help it" up into the air?

I've been a fatty-hitter since I started golfing. Recently I discovered that if I don't let my front (left for a righty) knee break down on my backswing I make much better contact with all my clubs. I guess if your knee bends inward it's just one more thing that has to get back exactly to the same place at impact for it to work.

I was a huge chunker too, until i realized i was making too much weight shift to my right (i'm a righty), in my backswing. My right knee and foot would shift too much and I couldn't get back to my original position at adress. From many posts and videos on the internet I figured out that keeping my right knee firm and holding my right foot down will cure my fat shots. Hope that helps...

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

move the ball back in your stance and you will then be pinching it and taling a nice divot instead of hitting behind

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Moving the ball back in your stance fixes the symptom, not the problem. If you're chunking 5 irons with the ball already in the middle, moving back is clearly the wrong fix. The highly likely candidates are:

* poor balance, weight shift: you're stuck hanging back and the club is dropping before the ball

* early release: you're casting the club and it's bottoming out before the ball.

Both of these generally come from overswinging and trying to hit the ball too hard, IMO.

I would recommend this: put something (umbrella in ground, e.g.) right next to your right hip to restrict too much swaying on your backswing. Put something similar, but about 3-4" ahead of your left hip, and bump that object on your downswing. This will encourage a quiet lower body on your backswing but also promote good, yet not overdone, forward weight shift. Couple that with, place a tee in the ground about 6" behind the ball and concentrate on holding your wrist angle to keep the club up from hitting that tee, and then striking the ball with a downward angle. HTH.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

[QUOTE=sonicblue;72633]Moving the ball back in your stance fixes the symptom, not the problem. If you're chunking 5 irons with the ball already in the middle, moving back is clearly the wrong fix. The highly likely candidates are:

That may be, however golf is a lot like cancer. Fix on problem and it looks like all is well and it shows up some where else.

Besides on the course all you can do is put a band aid on it and make the best of it.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

You are simply not getting your weight to front leg and leading the club with your hands on the way forward.

I suggest you work on finishing with your chest fully over your front leg and trying to accellerate to the point where the club hits you in the back.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Thanks for all the help guys, i'll work on it tomorrow at the range.Hopefully i will fix the problem

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9

Moving the ball back in your stance fixes the symptom, not the problem. If you're chunking 5 irons with the ball already in the middle, moving back is clearly the wrong fix. The highly likely candidates are:

Not exactly. If you move the ball back and you are not hitting it fat then you are cured. But I do agree tht if you move the ball back and you are still hitting it fat you are probaly not properly transfering your weight.

In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I'm not sure you're really hitting it fat, because the ball wouldn't go up really high. Anyway, there are 3 reasons that I could think of why someone hits fat shots:

1. Swaying. 2. Improper weight transfer. 3. Casting.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Great tip i got was to focus on keeping my height throughout whole swing. Stay in your posture and turn keeping your bodyshape

That's one good tip. Unfortunately, one of the best

golfer doesn't "obey" that.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

You are probably flipping to try to keep the ball from going right.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 6086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!