IGNORED

Problems with duck/snap hooks

gbk56
Note: This thread is 6089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been having some problems with duck/snap hooks off the tee with my driver and I am not sure what causes them. What I usually do is just focus on slowing down my back swing (count one, two) stay centered and balanced and concentrate on an inside-out takeaway. This usually cures the problem after a few swings.

My question is does anyone have any idea what the root cause of the duck/snap hook. I am not sure what in my swing is causing it. The ball flight will either start out straight or a little right then go 50 yards left.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

If the ball is starting straight or just right of the target then your swing path is not in question (inside-out). It's the angle of the clubface upon impact that's the problem. Perhaps, weaken the grip with your driver? How many knuckles do you see on your left hand at address?

Maybe your grip is too strong with your driver? Thus upon impact you are rolling the clubface closed and thus causing the severe right to left spin on the ball.

OR, the clubface is closed at the start of your swing. How do you address the ball with your driver?

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

I went through a stretch where I was just way off with my driver, doing just what you were: trying to take it back real slow. What I found I was doing was completely stagnating my lower body, and I was making a 100% torso/arms swing, and just whipping the club around myself. Stay "connected" - fix your tempo but make sure your hips start your downswing, and that they pull your torso, shoulders and arms through impact as a unit.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I have been having some problems with duck/snap hooks off the tee with my driver and I am not sure what causes them. What I usually do is just focus on slowing down my back swing (count one, two) stay centered and balanced and concentrate on an inside-out takeaway. This usually cures the problem after a few swings.

I think we've had a few threads in the forum already on this (must be a common ailment).

I had this issue earlier this year.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hands/arms getting ahead of lower body

i do this all the time..... or vice versa and push the ball or something

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

When i had this problem it was due to either starting the swing with the right shoulder and swinging over the top, which also usually led me to cast the club.
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

If the ball is starting straight or just right of the target then your swing path is not in question (inside-out). It's the angle of the clubface upon impact that's the problem. Perhaps, weaken the grip with your driver? How many knuckles do you see on your left hand at address?

I can see 2 knukles. Not sure what that means.

I went to the range today and find that I am sitting back too long on my right leg and letting my hands get in front of my body at impact. I guess my club head is closing too soon. I think I have to remember to unwind form the ground up as waas mentioned in several of the posts. Thanks for all the input!!!
In my bag:

You are flipping

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

What is flipping?

Flipping: letting the right hand collapse the left wrist in an attempt to square the clubface. Learn to square the face with a flat left wrist. Hands in front of the clubface at impact.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Flipping: letting the right hand collapse the left wrist in an attempt to square the clubface. Learn to square the face with a flat left wrist. Hands in front of the clubface at impact.

Great advice!!

I am not only hitting my driver straighter, I am hitting all my clubs with more accuracy. Thanks
In my bag:

very good advice Leek.

Also check your setup with your driver. lots of people stand to far away from the ball for their tee shots which exacerbates any problems from a delayed lower body.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

On your left hand the logo on your glove should be facing your target. Your thumb should go in the middle of your right palm and your left thumb should be slightly more than half-way across the shaft. Also make sure that you don't take your hands back straight instead of inside. Open your stance slightly allowing you to go through the hitting zone with ease. Finally hit out and away from your self finishing high. I had the same problem.

driver- ping rapture
3/5 wood- cobra speed ld f
irons- titleist 735 cm
wedges, 52/58- cleaveland cg12
putter- ping pal 4

Finally hit out and away from your self finishing high.

Great recipe for a hook or a push! You need to swing from the inside to square to inside with a flat left wrist at impact. If you swing in to out, then you must FLIP to square the clubface.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

Great recipe for a hook or a push! You need to swing from the inside to square to inside with a flat left wrist at impact. If you swing in to out, then you must FLIP to square the clubface.

to be fair, for people with issues with their swing plane, driving the clubhead down the target line feels like hitting out.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Note: This thread is 6089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!