• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mitch360

Common cause of missed putts

5 posts in this topic

What do you think is a more common cause of missed puts? - misread line, or; - mis hit putt. Interesting to know what people think.

I would say both misread and poor distance control. I think like most things, golfers can be consistently bad at something. Most golfers probably have a repeatable putting stroke. They probably can hit it where they are aiming. The problem is they are aiming in the wrong spot and can't control their distance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with @saevel25 and would add that they don't start the putt on the line they are aiming to start on.

Wrong line, wrong speed, or both.......

All other putts go in.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • It's now 8 months since I started playing golf.  I'm fairly happy with the progress I've made so far... ...I've (mostly) got past the impulse to try and whack the ball really hard ...I've (mostly) learned not to overswing and start standing up in the backswing ...I get the concept of the hips starting the downswing rather than the arms, and can see how this causes the club head to rocket through at the bottom of the swing AND I seem to end in a good finish position ...that said, I have also learnt to move my hips at a moderate pace rather than too fast, as that was making me slice it - confused me for a bit but I get it now ...fat shots are now a rarity rather than a constant plague - tend to now only occur on uneven lies but not too often ...I'm not yet as consistent as I would like to be, but I hit the ball cleanish and straight most of the time ...chipping and putting is reasonable compared with my playing partners ...I would expect to get 4 or 5 pars in a round, mentally before each hole my target is a bogey, but a double bogey or worse is a disappointment I am also starting to get a reasonably good idea of my distances for each club.  What I have noticed, however, is that my distances are much shorter than my friends.  I can hit straight drives about 210 yards, a straight 4 iron about 150 yards, a 7 iron about 120 yards.  Now, I'm ok with this, I'm not bothered about outdriving them or being a big hitter - I know that trying to match them club for club will not end well for me. My question is, will my distances increase as my swing develops and gets more consistent?  Looking at some of the swing speed charts online - for what they're worth - maybe my driver swing speed is around 80mph for those distances?  My irons are Callaway X-16 with new Dynamic Gold R300 shafts.  Are these a heavier shaft, and would I see an improvement with different shafts?  I've no intention of changing them just now, but have my 40th birthday next year so a new set might be in the cards then. Im really enjoying my golf at the moment, and am quite content with my progress, but the desire to improve is very strong - I guess this happens to a lot of new golfers.  How might I expect things to go from here on?  I've been working it out by myself and with the help of YouTube videos and books, and lessons are not an option - the nearest pro is two hours away. Cheers, Joe
    • Umm, the penalty he took is directly related to that. It would be strange not to emphasize the reason why he took the penalty. 
    • Does anyone have a picture of the pin chart for this course? It's usually on the back of the carts but I can't find it online.  Thanks. 
    • If the fitter did not give you an idea of what shaft you need, you did not get full service.
    • Played in our B-Team interclub March at Heritage Hunt G&CC, 6500/132 Par 72 shot best round of year. 36-35-71 (1 under)) 3 birdies and 2 bogeys, with one bogey was hitting into hazard on Par 5 and the other was a bogey on another Par 5 where I short sided myself .  Even with that we only won 2 up.  But not bad for first time seeing the course.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Adunifon
      Adunifon
      (36 years old)
    2. Mech12
      Mech12
      (42 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon