IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

Well, that didn’t go good. Full swing was not the same as day 1.  Definitely hit some good shots, but more misses. I think I lost focus on my swing thoughts, miss was a hook. Led to 2 double bogies on the back 9. Just couldn’t properly recover, although I had one amazing 3w from a fairway bunker at 270, put it on the back of the green which led to birdie. I also over played 3 5ft putts which didn’t help. I did end on a good note with a blasted 2iron and birdie. Finished with 77. So +2 overall. 

Definitely pleased with the overall play. Its my best finish in the event. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Still working with right hand grip and main thought of returning to inline position at impact. Rotation looks a little better. Obviously still very upright but not terribly worried about it right now. This was my 2iron which has been serving me very well recently. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Here’s my 9iron with a face on view. I like the move. Could still get more inline but it looks better. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I'm looking in awe at your top of backswing hand position. Don't follow much tour swings, but reminds me of Bubba Watson. What kind of club head speeds are you producing?

4 hours ago, Tepi90 said:

I'm looking in awe at your top of backswing hand position. Don't follow much tour swings, but reminds me of Bubba Watson. What kind of club head speeds are you producing?

Driver hovers around 117mph.  If I try to hit one a bit harder, it can get to 120. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

My course started a match play bracket.  Played my match last night, and finally had a decent round here.  The greens here are hard to judge.  A weird mix of small and huge breaks.  I usually score better away than at home, despite my home course being rated easier.  My round was pretty consistent, no big misses but also no real sticky shots. The guy I played against went up early (had to give him 5 strokes, my CH is +5 and his is 0), but he lost his groove on hole 8 with a push OB.  I won the next 4 holes and never looked back.  Match ended on hole 15, I was -5 at the time (6 birdies and a bogey). Overall pleased, but definitely felt like I left a couple strokes out there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Unfortunately I think I am in a funk. After that last good round, I have yet to feel comfortable over a ball. The last 2 rounds have been crap. Need to get some range time in and work it out. I think I know the next steps. At least I hope so. It feels really bad right now. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

9 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Unfortunately I think I am in a funk. After that last good round, I have yet to feel comfortable over a ball. The last 2 rounds have been crap. Need to get some range time in and work it out. I think I know the next steps. At least I hope so. It feels really bad right now. 

Golf is tough....I've gone from 13, 2, 5 and back to 12 GIR's in my last rds...and some GIR's in all rds missed from inside 110-125 yards...DUH...though all  rds on different courses...but I'm a mental midget which explains everything and not a real golfer like you.

I’ve had my night to sleep off the pathetic performance yesterday. Irons and woods were hooking and driver slicing. I have a good idea about why and where I need to go from here. 1) I need to skinny up my stance and square it up; its too wide and promoted too much slide and being open got me coming across too much; im hoping the skinnier stance will also promote a bit more turn. 2) I want to continue with the right hand slightly stronger; i think it has helped me to not over swing. 3) Need to watch my position at A4; clubface was open/down pointing

Need some range time. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

From my last post, I worked in 1 and 2 today and it went really well. With irons except for 2iron, which I’ll get to later, feel was skinny stance, squared up, closed chest to promote slight in to out path, then turn hips at at impact. They went and felt great! If I tried to over power it a bit, they hooked. But I took the right side completely out of play, no misses right. 2 iron always has swung differently, so it and the driver had a slightly open stance, closed club face (or looked like it), and make sure to release. Driver felt much better today. No misses right again. Putting was slightly off today so didn’t score too great, but it was average.

Was funny looking at the stats, average on par 5’s 4.25, average on par 4’s 3.9, and average on par 3’s........ 4.0..... 😩 3 putts or missing greens in the wrong spot. Oh well. At least, things started to feel better today. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

The slightly skinnier stance and feeling of throwing hips a little more definitely looks better! Swing is definitely feeling better. Not confident in its consistency yet but I’ll keep working on it. The position at A4 is happening on its own more now.

Next event is a pro am at Chambers Bay. Goal is to not over think it. Just play golf and work on the swing objectives. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

PK3.png.3c5289351b6a746b9446f1afe390f985.png

Side by side at close to the same moment in the swing, but I can definitely see a difference in the lower body. Body also looks generally less "crunched."  

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

It's quite likely never going to be something that's capable of being super consistent (particularly with time off) with the way the clubhead moves from 3.5 to 4 to 4.5 to 5. It's quite chaotic. There are going to be days it drops down too far, days it's too steep, etc. Especially after time off.

It's better than it used to be.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, iacas said:

It's better than it used to be.

Work in progress. Once I feel more comfortable with my current thoughts, I’ll go back to working on A4 area. Getting it right will ideally reinforce my feels around impact. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Started to create a feel for a better A4 area movement. I think I have one and this swing was from early on today. I think it got a little better as the day went on. What was interesting and nice is that if I didn’t get the proper turn around impact, I hit a hook. Forced me to make sure everything is going.  I definitely hit a lot of good shots. We’ll see how it goes/grows. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, phillyk said:

Started to create a feel for a better A4 area movement. I think I have one and this swing was from early on today. I think it got a little better as the day went on. What was interesting and nice is that if I didn’t get the proper turn around impact, I hit a hook. Forced me to make sure everything is going.  I definitely hit a lot of good shots. We’ll see how it goes/grows. 

Been sticking to this feel and it has been working well! All clubs have been working well. Need to dial in a few things (how much specific draw I need to play for) but definitely feeling a lot more positive about the swing. Putting outside of 10ft is a different story. Not sure what to do about it yet. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Played Chambers Bay in a pro am today from the Sand tees. Shot -5, 67. 3 putted my last hole too because I knew what I needed to do to tie for the lead for pros and I babied it. 

Full swing, honestly, didn’t feel quite there today. I made a lot of good putts though. Driver was mediocre, irons were good, wedges were off. Definitely pleased about the score. Will work to keep it going!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

20 hours ago, phillyk said:

Played Chambers Bay in a pro am today from the Sand tees. Shot -5, 67. 3 putted my last hole too because I knew what I needed to do to tie for the lead for pros and I babied it. 

Full swing, honestly, didn’t feel quite there today. I made a lot of good putts though. Driver was mediocre, irons were good, wedges were off. Definitely pleased about the score. Will work to keep it going!

Nice shooting.

How are the greens now?....what's the stimp?

Why would the pros have a net event?....pros have a cap?

$100 is really cheap to play in an event like this.

Hope you didn't play behind the woman that shot 140...WTF.

What happened on 18 at Lake Padden for you when you played in a similar event at the end of August?...it's fairly benign hole...penalty strokes adding up that you were unaware at the time?