IGNORED

Playing a new course for the first time: does it seriously affect your score?

k-troop
Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How does playing a new course for the first time affect your score?

• I focus more on a course I've never seen before and usually score better.
    • Playing a new course for the first time doesn't affect my score.
    • I might miss one or two shots due to a confusing yardage, line, or slope, but nothing serious.
    • I usually score much worse than my index when playing a new course for the first time.

Its kindof a silly question without more detail.

I played La Tour Golf Club, which is about 45 minutes from my home course for the first time the other weekend.  Its the same 6700ish yards, same type of grass, same relative layout as my home course, same weather conditions and wind etc... I didn't notice too much.  It was totally flat, like most courses where I am.  I shot 76, which is what I would expect to shoot at home.

I played Sunnapee Country Club in New Hampshire, which was a beautiful, short Donald Ross track with devilish greens and tons of hills.  Grass was different on the greens.  Was hilly (which I had very little experience with).  Some holes had greens way above some way below.  Its a fantastic course.  I shot 92 the first day, 94 the second day, and 81 the third day.

So, it depends on how different "different" is.

EDIT:  Fully aware those are bad scores for my handicap, before GHIN0001 goes off on me.  It was very different playing golf in the hills with greens up and down.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My handicap is climbing because I am playing a new course every week. I've played two courses 3 times not and shot low 80's while a new course last Friday I carded an embarrassing 95. Knowing where the landing zones and green slopes make a big deal. I hit one green on the wrong tier and it was so drastic that the putt I barely got going picked up so much speed it rolled in a lake. Nothing like hitting a GIR then takin a double. I voted 1-2 shots, but I'd say for me it's streaky and can be anywhere from 2-8 shots

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

My handicap is climbing because I am playing a new course every week. I've played two courses 3 times not and shot low 80's while a new course last Friday I carded an embarrassing 95. Knowing where the landing zones and green slopes make a big deal. I hit one green on the wrong tier and it was so drastic that the putt I barely got going picked up so much speed it rolled in a lake. Nothing like hitting a GIR then takin a double. I voted 1-2 shots, but I'd say for me it's streaky and can be anywhere from 2-8 shots

Of course, the "glass half full" side of this would be that you're developing a handicap that "travels" very well. :beer:

The muni courses in that part of MD are nice and tough, man. Northwest, Hampshire Green, Laytonsville, Little Bennet aren't exactly gimmes. I've had many frustrating days on those courses. The nicer ones like Lake presidential, Whiskey Creek are tougher tho.

I voted much worse, for some reason I just can't quickly get my head around the course fast enough. Last week, I shot 96 on a new course, I replayed the back nine and shot 8 strokes better on that nine alone. Just like the OP, I'm a head case.

It's on my list of things to improve tho.

Little Bennett is a beast.  Northwest Park is long but not that penal.  The whites there are reasonable though.  Haven't played Laytonsville and only played Hampshire Greens once a long time ago.  Whiskey Creek is very tough.

I normally play Needwood, Falls Road, and Northwest Park, with occasional rounds at Redgate and Little Bennett.

But back to the original question, I have a comfort level at courses I know.  On a new course I'm not as comfortable, and I think I press which leads to more mistakes.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I picked the third choice that it I might make a mistake or two that I wouldn't normally make.

I usually hit the ball a little better when I go off on a special golfing trip. I suppose I just get a little more fired up at the prospect of playing a different course.

Unfortunately I don't make as many putts so those factors sort of cancel each other out.

A good example of a mistake I wouldn't normally make was last year on a par 5. I hit a decent tee shot but thought the green was just a little out of my reach but it looked like a perfectly safe landing area short of the green so I hit the shot.

As I expected the ball went down short of the green but I thought I was in good shape. To my surprise there was a low gulley type area with thigh high grass right where I landed and no chance to find my ball. I certainly would have never hit that shot if I had known.

Of course, the "glass half full" side of this would be that you're developing a handicap that "travels" very well. :beer:

True, but at one point a few years ago I was a 4 and it kills me to shoot this high. I make a mistake and just think man why did I do that. Back to the topic, I love getting paired up with locals who know the course well.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I find that most courses have characteristics that only become obvious by playing them. I have always been able to rely on local knowledge, especially with the greens. I don't know how anybody can score well on a new course unless the greens are very benign.

I agree with this if you are referring to approach shots and knowledge of what is off the green that is dangerous.  Once on the green, I am confident that I will putt well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!