IGNORED

Good and cheap golf irons?

ElMachoGolf
Note: This thread is 3438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would think, and again just my opinion, you would probably be looking for something with regular flex. You also want clubs that you can use as you continue to get better.

I don't know what my speed is all I know is my max with a driver is 200 yards. Keep in mind I'm a beginner so I stink.

[quote name="jcurtis2014" url="/t/75935/good-and-cheap-golf-irons/18#post_1024347"]I would think, and again just my opinion, you would probably be looking for something with regular flex. You also want clubs that you can use as you continue to get better.[/quote] Jcurtis2014 is right. You might hit it 200 now because you are a beginner but their could be a lot of factors in that which makes you hit it less than your swing speed would. Without knowing your swing speed, unless you are older I would look at regular flex and probably steel if you plan on getting better or you will probably be looking to buy new clubs sooner rather than later. I swing my wife's clubs and barely swing and feel like I am going to snap the shaft. Maybe take a trip to golf galaxy or a golf store with a launch monitor and try a couple of drivers and see what readings you get in swing speed. Just act like you may buy one or something. What type of irons is an endless choice but the wrong shaft flex can make them unplayable.

James

I've gone to Golf Galaxy and done the simulated thing and it doesn't say the swing speed it just says the ball speed. Can I see how fast I swing based on ball speed?

I've gone to Golf Galaxy and done the simulated thing and it doesn't say the swing speed it just says the ball speed. Can I see how fast I swing based on ball speed?

I am pretty sure I have seen clubhead speed there. But I mainly pay attention to my spin when I go there so I may be wrong. Look up "club head speed calculator" in that advance search box up top. The chart on the second post might get you in the ballpark although there are different factors that can change that and you know your swing better than me so if you aren't hitting it solid maybe adjust it a little higher. It's guess work but I guess it better than just randomly picking a shaft.

James

Ok so I went to Golf Smith today and tested out some clubs. These are the ones that I'm interested in: Taylormade Rocketbladez and Burner 2.0. I haven't tried the Nike vr_s convert or the Rocketballz. Also I've learened that my driver swing speed is 70-80 and irons are 50-55. Any other recommendations for stuff would be helpful. Thanks

Glad you got out to test them! I haven't had a chance to hit either, but I'd say it all comes down to feel and preference.I know friends who have had the 2.0's and love them. Some of them tried out the rocketbladez but they didn't see enough difference to change. Everything i've heard about the 2.0's say they're great irons! Also for your price point you could get a set new. I don't know if you'd be able to find a set of rocketbladez new for that price point.

What were your thoughts after hitting them? How'd you swing?

Ok so I went to Golf Smith today and tested out some clubs. These are the ones that I'm interested in: Taylormade Rocketbladez and Burner 2.0. I haven't tried the Nike vr_s convert or the Rocketballz. Also I've learened that my driver swing speed is 70-80 and irons are 50-55. Any other recommendations for stuff would be helpful. Thanks

With your swing speed senior flex would be right. The problem is, depending on how long you have played, if you aren't older or have limitations that keep your swing speed down, you might start to swing faster the more you play and the better you get. Which means you will be buying new clubs sooner rather than later. So I am no expert by any means but to sum up my thoughts, if you are older or have played for a couple years than that eBay deal you posted looks good. Just hope they are in good shape. If not then possibly go with regular flex, probably graphite, and let your swing grow into them. But that's just my opinion. Either way good luck with the new irons and enjoy them and hit em well.

James

I felt that the Rocketbladez we're ok but I still like the 2.0. They felt kind of clunky to me and didn't hit as far as the burners and as far as I wanted. Now this may seem stupid, but what's more important driver or irons. I thought it would be the irons but if you hit farther then you don't need the new irons. But my pick is still irons. Let me know what you guys think.

but what's more important driver or irons. I thought it would be the irons but if you hit farther then you don't need the new irons. But my pick is still irons. Let me know what you guys think.

I am firmly of the belief that if you can hit your irons, then you can play golf, and have fun playing golf.

Of course, it helps if you can putt a bit, too. ;-)

People (and especially high handicappers) often worry far too much about being able to hit a driver. Where's the fun in visiting the trees or lake on the right of every fairway, or topping it 30 yards off the tee-box for 15 holes out of 18? If a 4 iron (or hybrid equivalent) finds the fairway and a respectable distance, I'd sooner play that and go back to the range with the driver, later. I don't struggle with my driver much, these days - but on days when it's not working quite right then back in the bag it goes for the rest of the round.

If I had to choose between having irons I loved or a driver I loved, I'd invest in the irons every time.

If you can hit your irons, then you can play golf...

ElMachoGolf,

I've got a set of Burner 2.0's. I like them. I think my swing speed isn't much faster than yours... when I have a good swing, my 6 iron goes 150 yards... that's not a rare event but it's entirely too uncommon for me.

The Rocketbladez are like 2 maybe 3 generations newer than the Burner 2.0's... after the 2.0's Taylormade released the Rocketbladez, Speedbladez, Jetspeed, and SLDR... not sure in which exact order those came in.

I paired my 2.0's with Taylormade RBZ adjustable driver, RBZ Stage 2 3 wood, and RBZ 7 wood... the irons I purchased new whereas the driver and woods I purchased used.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

I am firmly of the belief that if you can hit your irons, then you can play golf, and have fun playing golf.

Of course, it helps if you can putt a bit, too.

People (and especially high handicappers) often worry far too much about being able to hit a driver. Where's the fun in visiting the trees or lake on the right of every fairway, or topping it 30 yards off the tee-box for 15 holes out of 18? If a 4 iron (or hybrid equivalent) finds the fairway and a respectable distance, I'd sooner play that and go back to the range with the driver, later. I don't struggle with my driver much, these days - but on days when it's not working quite right then back in the bag it goes for the rest of the round.

If I had to choose between having irons I loved or a driver I loved, I'd invest in the irons every time.

If you can hit your irons, then you can play golf...

I think I've made my decision thank you all for the tips and advice.

:tmade: Burner 2.0

• 3 months later...
I am curious is there any real significant difference between irons that made say golf digests hot list in 07 vs. Ones released today. I mean a great set of clubs is great right? Regardless of age. Not saying clubs out of the era but just clubs released a few years ago vs. Today's??

depends how cheap you want to go.

There is nothing wrong with Tommy Armour silver scott 845's. I've seen pretty good players using these for years. I'll bet you can find a set of irons second hand for considerable less than $100.

Put on some new grips and or replace the shafts and you'll be good to go.

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

I am in need of good but cheap golf irons. I have heard about the Taylormade Burner 2.0's but there are some cons that made me nervous. My budget is $300 but I have $50 dollars off at Golf Galaxy. I am ok with new or used clubs. My clubs right now are about 15 year old Wilson K28 hand me downs. So any suggestions would help. :-D Thank You.

Hard to beat last years rocket blades, great iron and they can be found for around $299 4-pw, you may need a gap wedge in addition to them. These were the best selling iron last year 2013.

Note: This thread is 3438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!