Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

Geoff Ogilvy speaks candidly about golf struggles

5 posts in this topic

Here's the Golf Australia Piece

Anyway, over the last six months I have tried to get back to the way I did things earlier in my career, which hasn’t been easy. Practice is very addictive and I turned myself into a practiser more than a player. I could hit the 220-yard sign with my 5-iron six times in a row. But then I’d go out and miss the first green with my 5-iron. At some level, practising and playing are not really related.

Someone once told me that the difficulty of golf is that you are not trying to work out the game, you are trying to work out yourself. I forgot that. I was trying to work out golf. There’s nothing wrong with playing well and not doing it the way everyone else does it. The guys who made themselves the best in the world didn’t do it by copying someone else. They are the guys who are copied.

Got wind of it from Twitter - (AT)lawrencedonegan

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good for him getting back in the winners circles. Hopefully he can play consistently good golf and play well at the PGA

This resonates. Lately I've been playing "golf swing" and not "golf" when I'm out on the course.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Thanks, makes perfect sense to me as it has been what I have worked on the past couple of months, and up until yesterday it wasn't something I had to really think about during the swing.  I'll hit the range sometime this week, hopefully it was just a bad day. And yes, been planning to get a My Swing Thread going, but was hoping to get back to where I felt my swing was late last year first. But that may not happen, so guess I'll try to get some swings recorded soon.
    • more offset if for the ones who can't close the face. for me i want less offset so i don't have to worry my ball hooking when i close the face. a lot of AM golfers aren't worry about trying to spin the ball with a GI irons, they are more into trying to smoke the ball as far as they can. and the most forgiveness they can get. but their are some guys who can spin the ball with a GI because they are using a softer ball which helps a lot and knows how to spin the ball. i think it's easier to hit a ball with a small face then a big face
    • I don't really feel that. I'm not working on anything that has to do with the elbow "dropping" at all. If anything I feel it driving outward (toward the ball) more as it comes down naturally. You should start a Member Swing thread of your own. Your elbow probably gets stuck around behind you too much. I'm exaggerating some things to help with my piece right now. It exits lower when I swing normally (even on a draw).
    • @iacas  two quick questions for you. On your transition into the downswing, what is your feel for when the club/hands/right arm/elbow drops?  I ask this because I had a horrific round yesterday, once I got to the top of my swing I was totally clueless, even went back to the range a few hours later, had no issues with wedges, but everything else stayed horrific.  I understand the lower body initiates the downswing, but for me it is more of a parallel move with my lower slide/rotation and my right elbow dropping.  I tried what I would call my normal swing and it just wasn't working, then I tried to only shift my lower body first, then tried the feeling of pulling my hands down and then out.  Regardless of what I tried it just didn't work, just lost all feelings when I got to the top.  Not looking for a magic pill here, just curious if you have a certain feel at this point in your swing. On your follow through, I notice your left arm stays high (inline with your shoulder line).  Mine is much lower when I finish my follow through, sometimes probably under my shoulder line. Is this just a difference in swings or is there a common fault that you see that may cause a lower follow through? Thanks! 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. henry granic
      henry granic
      (61 years old)
    2. Jscrillah
      Jscrillah
      (45 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon