IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Both driving accuracy and GIR >70% this tournament. Yet 3 bogeys on the front nine (and two birdies). His scrambling % and strokes gained putting is holding him back. Needs to win 2, but probably 3 shots on the back nine to make the cut. Come on!

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All together a disappointing start of the season / Florida swing. It started pretty good with a T11 at Honda Classic, but a pretty low position at Doral and a missed cut at Valspar Championship is not even close to as good as expected. Mostly his scrambling and putting costs him it seems, so he knows what to work on. I once said in this topic that I believe he's one of the best in the world from tee to green. So far that seems true, he's ranked 6th this season in strokes gain tee to green. Hopefully he can work on and improve his short game. Now a couple of weeks no tournaments untill three in a row again: Shell Houston Open, Masters, RBC Heritage. His reaction after missing the cut: [QUOTE] Couldn't score This week I played The Valspar Championship on a course I never played before. It takes some time to get used to a course, but that is not the reason I missed the cut. That was because I couldn't score. Today my game wasn't all that bad, I hit 10 fairways and 13 greens, but I didn't convert. Especially my scoring clubs (9-iron to lob wedge) weren't very good today. If you miss the green from the middle of the fairway three times and make two bogeys because of that, you know you're not going to score well. The putter also wasn't very warm this week. I made 32 putts yesterday and 33 today. The bottom line is that I just couldn't score this week, and that's why I'm not playing the weekend. This was my third tournament in a row so now it's time for a little rest before I play the Shell Houston Open in preparation of The Masters. [/QUOTE]

~Jorrit

• 3 weeks later...
A good -3 today. Needed it after +1 (double bogey in second last hole) on day 1. Normally this is enough to make the cut so good for him, two more days of competitive golf.

~Jorrit

Any info on how Joost is feeling/looking at Augusta?

Thinking about using him as a back up in fantasy golf.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Any info on how Joost is feeling/looking at Augusta?

Thinking about using him as a back up in fantasy golf.

Given that last year he had the best score of the entire field on day 4, his last experience at Augusta is quite positive. He tweeted earlier this week a picture of him, Jimenez and Wiesberger walking a practise round, and his last tweet is that he did a good practise 9 there.

About his game he became more positive since Friday he was playing pretty well. Yet after missing the cut in two events in a row and a medior performance at Doral I can imagine that his confidence is not as good as it could be.

This is what he said after round 2 last week:

Quote:

Much Better Today

After yesterday's 73 I knew I had to bring in a score under par today to make the cut. Luckily I played much better than yesterday en shot 69 (-3).In the beginning of my round I holed a couple of good putts for birdie, which meant I was under par early. I did make a mistake on the second hole when I hit my 5-iron into the bunker from the middle of the fairway.

I actually could've scored even better today because I missed a couple of short putts on 11, 12, 15. Make one of those and you don't have to worry about making the weekend or not, now you still have to wait in agony.

I also made good birdies on thirteen and fourteen, but on sixteen I hit a 7-iron in the bunker and made bogey.

The game is feeling better and better, so all I have to do now is get rid of the mistakes - like that double yesterday - and then everything will be fine for The Masters.

~Jorrit

Luiten in a flight with Schwartzel and Bae. Tee time tomorrow set at 10:30.

~Jorrit

Excellent performance at the par3 challenge today. -3 and T2 for now. Even though it's mostly for fun and practise, this should be good for Luiten's confidence.

~Jorrit

Luiten at the par 3 contest with his girlfriend.

He will tee it up today at 10:30.

~Jorrit

Again a disappointing start at day 1 for Luiten. His opening round finished at +4, needs a good round tomorrow to make the cut. Last year he managed to do that despite a opening round of 75.

~Jorrit

Luiten: Very disappointing first round

Quote:
I had a very disappointing first day at The Masters. I was struggling on the difficult greens of Augusta National. My putting is letting me down the last couple of weeks. Instead of putting on instinct and feel, I’m thinking too much when I’m over the ball.

Today I made a couple of 3-putts, the one on 13 was extremely disappointing. I had about eight metres for eagle after a good second shot, but I walked away with a five. That was a stupid mistake.

Unfortunately my long game isn’t up to standard either. I can’t get the balls close enough to the hole, that gives extra stress on the putting.

Of course I still hope to make the cut. Last year I started with an 75 and I made the weekend, eventually finishing 26th. Let’s hope I can make one long putt early in the round tomorrow, that could be the turnaround on the greens I need.

~Jorrit

Luiten: Very disappointing first round [QUOTE]  [COLOR=000604]I had a very disappointing first day at The Masters. I was struggling on the difficult greens of Augusta National. My putting is letting me down the last couple of weeks. Instead of putting on instinct and feel, I’m thinking too much when I’m over the ball. [/COLOR]

Today I made a couple of 3-putts, the one on 13 was extremely disappointing. I had about eight metres for eagle after a good second shot, but I walked away with a five. That was a stupid mistake.

Unfortunately my long game isn’t up to standard either. I can’t get the balls close enough to the hole, that gives extra stress on the putting.

Of course I still hope to make the cut. Last year I started with an 75 and I made the weekend, eventually finishing 26th. Let’s hope I can make one long putt early in the round tomorrow, that could be the turnaround on the greens I need.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. I wondered about him when I scanned the bottom of the leaderboard today for surprises. Rather shocked to see Joost so low. Hopefully he will get more comfortable at Augusta.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Luiten: Very disappointing first round

I saw him play a few shots yesterday. Sometimes there is nothing marked wrong in the game and the mistakes can be like splitting hair but a course like this is merciless especially if you have even a shade of second guessing putts. I think from what I saw it more a case of getting used to these greens and course management then the quality of his game. I think he will bounce back. Hopefully he can bounce quickly enough to make the cut.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Wow, Luiten trough the turn at -2 for the day, at this moment within the cut. Shot besides 2 bogeys also 2 birdies and an amazing eagle at the 2nd (2'' away from an albatros). Hopefully a good back nine and into the weekend.

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!