IGNORED

Help picking irons

sammyclay
Note: This thread is 6080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a new set of irons and I am a bit overwhelmed. I know i want cavity-backs, but other than that, i am stumped. I was looking at some of the clones on turbopowerusa.com since i am a student and i cant spend too much on them. Considering i am still new to golf i need something that is rather forgiving and will help build my confidence. I know im still gonna have bad days, but i want something that will help me out here and there. Any suggestions on which ones i should get?

Calloway or Cobra is a great way to start they are more foregiving clubs and will last you a very long time. any of the X models being x-12,x-14 and so on from Callowaymore maybe some DCI from Titleist these are some clubs you just cant go wrong with

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

If you are looking for "off-brand" irons to save a little cash, I would highly recommend Pine Meadow Golf. My brother recently purchased a set from them, and I was very surprised by the quality of the clubs. Below you will find a link to their site.

www.pinemeadowgolf.com

These are the irons my brother got. He loves them.

http://pinemeadowgolf.com/golf-clubs...ong.irons.html

There are many other "off-brand" clubs on the market, but these are the only ones that I can say I have seen and they are decent club for the price.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

If your NEW to the game, I'd stay away from Titleist at this time. They are more of a players club. Callaway have good offerings in GI irions as do many others. I'd check into components for high quality affordable price. Start at Golfsmith or some place similar. Check Ebay or other forums. Go to FGI (Freegolfinfo.com). The Flea Market Swap Shop there is 2nd to none! Many affordable high quality irons at that forum.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Im not completely new to golf. I have been playing for about 4 or 5 months now. I normally hit around 50 for 9 and 110 for 18. I bought a complete set from dicks sporting goods and im not completely satisfied with those irons. I was looking for a cheap clone set that would give me more forgiveness and help.

Im not completely new to golf. I have been playing for about 4 or 5 months now. I normally hit around 50 for 9 and 110 for 18. I bought a complete set from dicks sporting goods and im not completely satisfied with those irons. I was looking for a cheap clone set that would give me more forgiveness and help.

Sammy.....

I forgot one thing. If you are looking for name brand clubs at great prices and dont want to deal with the E-bay issues, make sure you check out www.rockbottomgolf.com There are few places, if any, that beat their deals.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

If your NEW to the game, I'd stay away from Titleist at this time. They are more of a players club. Callaway have good offerings in GI irions as do many others. I'd check into components for high quality affordable price. Start at Golfsmith or some place similar. Check Ebay or other forums. Go to FGI (Freegolfinfo.com). The Flea Market Swap Shop there is 2nd to none! Many affordable high quality irons at that forum.

Golfsmith is good advice. I just took their 1/2 day club building class at one of their stores (free if you sign up for their player rewards program.) It was a 4 hour class. The first three hours was on club fitting. The differences between equipment, how it works together, and how to pick the right heads, shafts, and grips for people. The last hour we put together a sand wedge, which they let me take home (a snake eyes viper, $30 bucks on their web site.)

They also give you promotional code that is good for 15% off of club building supplies (heads, shafts, etc...) for 30 days. Turned out the guy giving the class had retired 9 years ago from the company I had worked for, and had taken the club repair/building job at Golfsmith as a retirement job so he could stay busy at something he enjoyed. This guy has worked on just about every brand, and according to him Mizuno is far and away the best quality club from a manufacturing stand point (he even uses Mizuno clubs to double check the calibration on his lie/loft machine, their quality tolerances are that tight.) There is a big gap in quality after Mizuno. According to him, Golfsmith's high end components are as good or better quality wise than any name brand club (save Mizuno.) The point is, when I ran the numbers (buying components that are already on sale, using my 15% discount, and putting the clubs together myself) I figured for about $350-$400 I could put together a full set of clubs that quality wise would be equivalent to a full set of Pings or Callaways (which new would run you a grand or more.) Now they aren't going to have much resale value, but the savings up front make up for that (imho.) Plus, because you are picking the components separatly (heads, shafts, grips) you end up with a set that is more customized for you. The shafts and grips you would get through Golfsmith are the same brands name brand clubs are made with (UST, Wynn, etc...) so the only question is are the heads of equal quality. From what my friend said (who works on both Golfsmith and name brand clubs) they are. If nothing else, take that free clubmaking class. It's free, you learn a lot, and they give you a club!

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I would highly recommend the Cleveland TA-5 clubs, they are a few years old but can be bought off Ebay for around 100 bucks for the entire set of irons, they are very forgiving and easy to hit.. They also get great reviews, just make sure you get the proper shaft, regular or stiff for your swing speed.

Greg

Note: This thread is 6080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!