IGNORED

Strata Tour Straight Review

Note: This thread is 7087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are so many golf balls out there, and before I'm through with this sport, I'd like to be able to say I've hit them all. Played in a 36 hole 4 man scramble today. My usual scramble ball of choice is Maxfli's noodle, but all my partners are <12 handicap, so I wanted a slightly better ball. Before the tournament, I went down the the local golf shop and browsed around. I settled on the Strata Tour Straight (a dozen for $22.95).

Tour straight is a three piece golf ball. The golf ball's real gimick is Strata's Slickote, a teflon like coating that is supposed to reduce slices and hooks by reducing side spin and wind resistance. The balls feel slightly greasy and are a magnet for dirt. Be warned, take a wet cloth with you to clean balls off on greens. Dry towels do nothing. One thing I really like about these balls is the green arrow imprinted on the side of them (where most companies put the ball name) to help line up putts. I, like a lot of players, usually put a line on my balls, and it was nice that a golf ball company took care of it for me.

The conditions were very windy today 10-25mph. These balls were solid in the wind, even high fairway woods didn't seem to be affected too badly. The balls are definately straight. The course we played is all straight fairways or dogleg rights. I tried on the front nine to draw the ball several times and the shots simply went straight. Finally on the 14th I decided that if a slight draw went dead straight, then a hook must turn into a nice draw, WRONG, LOL! The ball hooked pretty badly into the rough. So if you play with an unwanted fade/draw the ball will straighten you up, but is still no cure for a bad hook or slice. This isn't a ball for players who like to work the ball or would like to try. I didn't notice any dramatic changes in distance compared to V1X which I usually play.

The big difference though is spin. I can usually back up most any three piece ball with my scoring irons, but not this one. Even though the greens are pretty soft, I had trouble holding balls on the green, they really wanted to run a ways, even with my wedges. This is understandable with a low spin ball, but V1X gives me the same distance and the ability to hold greens nicely.

Around the greens the ball played nicely. I wouldn't describe it as soft, but it was definately acceptable. Maybe in between Noodle and V1X. These definately aren't topflite rocks. They were also pretty durable, didn't scuff too much even in bunkers.

All in all, I was plesantly surprised with this ball, I'm not a big fan of Strata's other products and I think that better beginners (about a 20 handicap) would really benefit from this ball. The price is very close to the high end 2 pieces (Noodle, NXT) and it performs very well.

• Administrator

Not sure I understand...

My usual scramble ball of choice is Maxfli's noodle, but all my partners are <12 handicap, so I wanted a slightly better ball.

I didn't notice any dramatic changes in distance compared to V1X which I usually play.

You list yourself as having a 5 HI. Why would you play a "lesser" ball, or for that matter, a different ball in a scramble?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why would you play a "lesser" ball, or for that matter, a different ball in a scramble?

I've got a couple of reasons. Mostly, I never take scrambles very serioiusly. I see them more as a chance to enjoy the company as much as the golf.

Secondly, our club has an informal tradition that one person always supplies the balls for the foursome. This was my turn. Noodle has become the standard for most since it seems to fit everyone's game pretty well and it's cheap. If I hit a $4 ball into a lake I'm okay with it, but for someone else to lose one of MY $4 balls, esta no bueno senor :)

Note: This thread is 7087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!