IGNORED

Clubface staying open at impact with weight forward

mfillyaw
Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've recently been working hard on getting my weight forward at impact. It has shown some great results! I consider myself a great iron player but had been having contact issues recently, and had lost my sweet little draw I used to have. I was playing a practice round last week and really focused on getting my weight forward. Pure strikes after pure strikes, but I had a few go straight right because of an open clubface at impact (there's no slice or fade to it, the ball just starts right and stays right).

Went out and played a round yesterday and basically the same thing happened. Started out great, but after a while my hands couldn't keep up with my body and the clubface isn't squaring.

Any tips to help the clubface come through the ball and keep it from going right?

Sounds likely the hand positioning has changed in your swing at impact.

Could be your sliding a bit in your effort to get your weight forward.

Ball position could also be affected by the body sliding, ball is now back further due to body movement.

Also head position at impact now could be too far forward.

A swing which creates a push shot is typical of the conditions of the above scenario's.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you tried a slightly stronger grip ? Usually it promotes a closeb clubface at impact. So maybe your grip is a little too weak, and your natural hand position at impact makes the head to be slightly open.

Adress your club with the face pointing as you do right now, strengthen your grip a little without changing the clubface angle, and try a couple of swings.

Okay, I'd suggest you check out the thread "Ball flight laws". Sounds like your club face is open, but with no curve, path is square to clubface.

Does that make sense? Close clubface slightly to get your draw.

Have you tried a slightly stronger grip ? Usually it promotes a closeb clubface at impact. So maybe your grip is a little too weak, and your natural hand position at impact makes the head to be slightly open.

Adress your club with the face pointing as you do right now, strengthen your grip a little without changing the clubface angle, and try a couple of swings.

Brian   

Okay, I'd suggest you check out the thread "Ball flight laws". Sounds like your club face is open, but with no curve, path is square to clubface.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, what you said makes total sense. His swing is probably in-to-out, but his clubface is open the same amount of degrees that his swing is. Since he said he had a nice little draw before, he was probably swinging in-to-out before too.

Since the problem only arrived since he started to put his weight forward, he probably contacts the ball earlier than before so his clubface has not "released" yet. If before he was hitting with his club face square to target, but now he is hitting the ball a little bit earlier due to a forward shift (his whole downsing moves forward, which makes the ball contact a little earlier in the downswing) his clubface is probably still a little open (with a good slow-motion video we would probably see his clubface return to square a couple of inches after impact).

Changing the grip would probably help, but rethinking about it, when he puts his weight forward, he probably moves forward at the same time to promote the weight shift. He should try to notice if he does move forward when shifting weight. If he does, that would be the problem.

• Administrator

Apologies for the brevity of this message - on my phone.

But… I'd try the "rev the motorcycle" (left wrist arches slightly throughout the whole downswing - turn 12 o'clock on grip to 9 o'clock) during the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!