IGNORED

What have you learned about golf today?

ClintonM3
Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please post one thing you learn about golf today, that you did not know before. Can be anything, for example - trivia, facts, swing thoughts, players info, equipment info, golf courses etc. Basically the anything golf related, but one thing that you just learned.

Don't be afraid to post something that you think is too obvious or well-known. Someone else might find it interesting or didn't know about it as well. But please do try not to post false info.

I've seen threads like this in other forums of different topics. I find it interesting, hope it works out here.

I'll start,

I learned today that:

Most missed putts are missed to the left.

I didn't really just learn this, and it's a really negative swing thought - but I'll post it anyways....

90% of the time the ball does nothing like I envisioned it doing.

And it's not something I truly have learned because I consistently, and relentlessly repeat envisioning what I want to happen.

Since I have not learned that the above statement is true, I keep playing golf, and I LOVE it. I hope it never comes true.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Here's what I learned during my last round (saturday)

I'm not good enough to make the risky play, especially considering I'm trying to improve. Focus on pars, not birdies, which means making smart decisions on the course.

Ken
http://labs.live.com/photosynth

Driver: R7 425 9.5 ProLaunch Blue R65
3W: Raylor Burner RegIrons: R7 TP 3-PW ProjectX 6.0GW: 52/8 Vokey Oil CanSW: 56/14 Vokey Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: 330 PutterBag: Grom

I learned after hitting a new demo driver that I want to replace my worn out driver grip. It's only 2 seasons old but it felt so much better to hold a new grip. Way more control feeling.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I've learned that the week goes a lot slower now that I don't have a regular Wednesday round to break the stretch between my Sunday rounds.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I learned today that I shouldn't try to baby my driver into the fairway and I need to drive it like I do on the range, hard. Not stupid hard, but full throttle balanced swings. the 70% I really want this one in the fairway deal doesn't seem to work for me.

In My Bag:
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I've learned that playing more often [63 holes in 5 days] does not necessarily result in one's game improving.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

cubfanbob, I also learned that last year. Played 7 days straight before a tourney. Got into the worst playing of my life. It was a mess. Focused practice and smart playing is a much better way to go. Just like going to the driving range and pounding 500 balls but not having a clue what you are working on. May as well sit on the couch as do that.

In My Bag:

what i have learned in the few months that i have been playin golf
is that its the hardest thing i have attempted as far as sports..
everything else i have played i picked up purdy easy.. kinda came naturaly,
but golf i just cant pick up that quick .

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

I picked this game up late and learned what I have been missing out on. Never played any sport which demanded so much focus and tenacity to play as crappy as I do.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I learned today that the driving range that I've been going to is giving me inaccurate yardage because it is on a slight incline. Went to a different range today and noticed a different bounce and roll. How I manged NOT to know this all this time is beyond me.

Ive learned to leave my ego in the clubhouse before I head to the first tee. Im not a proffesional golfer, so I cant expect to play like one.

Golf can be a cruel game, you have to be have the mental fortitude to deal with unsavoury results from shot to shot.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

the things I learned about Golf today (literally) is no matter how much you think your improving, theres always days like todays round was for me that I wonder why I love this game so much....I didn't even shot that bad when I first came back to playing Golf after a 4 yr absence....that is the thing I learned today.........

The sig in the guy above me. The guy with the fastest cart never has to play the bad lie.

But really, my biggest lesson is to stop trying to murder the ball. Although by no means does that not mean give it a hundred percent effort, I've stopped tying to muscle the ball down the fairway. I actually lose distance because my predominant miss is a toe hit, and it hurts when I take a mighty swipe at the ball and it only travels 60 yards. Not only my hands, but my ego. Especially when playing with my regular buddies.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!