IGNORED

2014 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Of course I'm playing Sunday morning QB, so it's easy for me to critique.  Phil and Keegan are emotional guys, you don't sit them on a critical positioning day.  Furyk is the oldest guy on the team, he should have been rested one match Saturday.

Even if he goes with them, how much difference does it really make? That's kinda my point. Whatever combo we throw out there, I don't think the score ends up much different than it will. This is one of those Ryder Cups where you just tip your cap and say 'They have a much better team.'

I seriously think we should look at making our Captain's picks after the TOUR Championship. If that were the case, we'd probably have Horschel and Kirk on our team rather than Simpson and Bradley or Mahan. The youth on this team played well. The veterans, outside of Phil, not so much.

Players that want to play, inform the coach during the season. Then understand all the picks will be made at the last possible moment. It is golf. It is not like they are going to do any extra prep.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I seriously think we should look at making our Captain's picks after the TOUR Championship. If that were the case, we'd probably have Horschel and Kirk on our team rather than Simpson and Bradley or Mahan. The youth on this team played well. The veterans, outside of Phil, not so much.

In hindsight I'd have preferred Horschel over Simpson.  At the time, I think Watson was looking for guys that had experienced the pressure of Ryder Cup golf to offset the high number of rookies we already had on the team.

Joe Paradiso

I love Furyk, but he is not a clutch player by any means the last few years. Between the 2012 US Open, the 2012 Ryder Cup, the WGC where he flubbed it up on the 18th, earlier this year in Canada....I can go on and on. He's great at putting himself in contention but terrible at finishing the deal.

Bradley is collapsing under the pressure.  They should have had Phil play early and Keegan play late so Phil could have coached Keegan at the end.

Joe Paradiso

On a positive note, I think the outfits for Team USA look pretty good today

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

In hindsight I'd have preferred Horschel over Simpson.  At the time, I think Watson was looking for guys that had experienced the pressure of Ryder Cup golf to offset the high number of rookies we already had on the team.

Horschel wasn't doing much at the time of selection, though. He was not even a blip on the radar. Kirk you could argue. The guy I would have liked to have seen at the time was Snedeker, but I understand why he wasn't.

The real problem was that when the Captain's picks were made, there were no Americans showing they truly "wanted it." Mahan, Bradley and Simpson were playing "okay" but nobody else was playing better.

This was a weak team this year, IMO. A very weak team mixed with guys either just short of their prime or guys past their prime. Europe, on the other hand, is filled with guys in their prime.

On a positive note, I think the outfits for Team USA look pretty good today

Don't tell that to @Spitfisher .

I think Haas would have been a way better choice than Watson or Simpson, let alone Bradley.

Horschel wasn't doing much at the time of selection, though. He was not even a blip on the radar. Kirk you could argue. The guy I would have liked to have seen at the time was Snedeker, but I understand why he wasn't.

Horschel's performance at the Accenture Match Play should have been taken into consideration. I agree on Sneds too.

The real problem was that when the Captain's picks were made, there were no Americans showing they truly "wanted it." Mahan, Bradley and Simpson were playing "okay" but nobody else was playing better.

This was a weak team this year, IMO. A very weak team mixed with guys either just short of their prime or guys past their prime. Europe, on the other hand, is filled with guys in their prime.

Losing Dufner and DJ from the team certainly hurt our chances but I think the US team had enough fire power to play closer than they did and even win.

Joe Paradiso

Losing Dufner and DJ from the team certainly hurt our chances but I think the US team had enough fire power to play closer than they did and even win.

Those two hurt a lot, as did not having Tiger at his best. We have firepower, but nowhere near what they have. And Europe traditionally always has more chemistry, which is why they've beaten us so many times with weaker teams. But the fact that I think they have so many guys at the top of their game right now and we have very few is a big difference.

You know it's not your day when Garcia scores birdie, birdie, eagle at the end of a big match.  I love how the European team seems to rise to the challenge while our guys (except Phil and Reed) look like they want to vomit.

Joe Paradiso

Those two hurt a lot, as did not having Tiger at his best. We have firepower, but nowhere near what they have.

Yep, Europe is just a better team. Also playing "at home" is worth at least a point.

Great shot by Donaldson, impressive.

Mike McLoughlin

Going back to what I said yesterday, the only solution is to do away with the Presidents Cup and make it Europe vs. The World. We pick up Scott, Day and Matsuyama...we may have hope.

Hoping Couples gets the Captain's nod in 2 years. Well-respected and does a great job Captaining the Prez Cup. Really hoping it's him vs. Clarke in 2016.

Well at least we always have the President's Cup :-D

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!