IGNORED

My Swing ( PickItUp )

PickItUp
Note: This thread is 3486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years off and on, 1- 5 rounds a year.

My current handicap index or average score is: Haven't broken 100

My typical ball flight is: All over the place, lots of stuff to the right.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push/slice

I started playing in high school causally with friends and was always a hacker.  Didn't play much in my early twenties and only in my late 20's did I play a few rounds a year.  Bachelor party golf mostly, lots of booze and not great golf.  I played about ten rounds this summer and really got hooked again.  I'm looking to eliminate the fat shots in my irons and i seem to have a push as well.  Occasional slice with the driver but thats usually only if I try to kill the ball.  I went to the range today and tried to get some video, not the best results.  I'm going to play tomorrow and planned on hitting the range to warm up.  I have my camera and tripod in the car already so I'll get a better DtL and Caddy view vids to post tomorrow.  I the mean time, break me down and build me up.

7 iron

Welcome to the site. Yes, I would recommend getting some better camera angles. Here's a great article we have on filming your swing.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the welcome mvmac.  I felt a little sheepish using my first post to ask for swing advice but I don't have much to offer at this point.  :)  Here a are a couple of better videos I got today.  I hate hitting off a mat and was getting some glares by fellow golfers when I was outside the "hitting area" so I didn't get a down the line on my driver or front iron but maybe I can get a bit of analysis of these two.    Turn the volume down, 'twas very windy and I haven't figured out how to mute all the sound.  Thanks for looking!

6 iron

I know the club disappears a bit but I assure you, this has not been photoshopped ;)  I use my dslr camera next time..

Could a mod remove my first post's vid?

Couple things

1. Grip looks palmy, get the heel pad of the left hand more on top. For more info go here

2. Left shoulder needs to go down longer, note how it doesn't get under your chin. By working on this piece, Key #1, you'll be able to increase your hip and shoulder turn and this will help you swing more outward.

Some good resources on how to do this

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the reply and videos.  The grip is something that i need to make a conscious effort to think about every swing still otherwise it gets off. I try to keep less that 300 separate thoughts in my brain during my preshot and swing.   I went out in the yard today and tried to get my shoulder coming down more and boy was it a foreign feeling! I'm going to hit the range a couple more times until it closes for the season, then my options are pretty limited for practice until mid March when it defrosts up here.  There is a indoor golf studio 25 miles from me but its a bit expensive.  Any advise for drills I could do indoor that dont require a full swing or hitting balls since I don't have the room.

Thanks for the reply and videos.  The grip is something that i need to make a conscious effort to think about every swing still otherwise it gets off.

You can practice your grip at home. Just hold a golf club the right way while you're watching television or something. Eventually, you'll just start gripping it the new way all the time. It becomes natural with repetition.

Any advise for drills I could do indoor that dont require a full swing or hitting balls since I don't have the room.

For that piece, you can make mock swings in your home, without a club. Stand in front of a mirror and practice your backswings. If you do it in the bathroom, you can use the sink or something below you as a guide and point your shoulder down to it as you swing. Use the mirror to monitor yourself and make sure your shoulder is going low and your head isn't sliding back to your right.

When I work on my centered pivot, I like to do it while standing in front of something vertical, like a picture frame or the trim on a door. I'll make backswings like that and make sure the object stays within the center of my field of vision.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I went out in the yard today and tried to get my shoulder coming down more and boy was it a foreign feeling!

Good, it just means you're doing something different ;-)

Any advise for drills I could do indoor that dont require a full swing or hitting balls since I don't have the room.

Just add this to what Bill said.

Also you can do this hip drill and the other drill I posted with the stick aimed at the sternum in your backyard

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!