IGNORED

4 Broken shafts...no solution

Ethan21
Note: This thread is 3645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have had a Ping G25 since July and have broken four different shafts. I have taped it and tried to see why I broke them..no luck all have broken where the hosel and shaft meet. I have not hit a ball off of the hosel or near it nor have I hit the ground hard I skim it. Been golfing for 10 years. I have been told I have fast hands and club head speed but no way I am as fast as others? Shafts: Aldila Phenom 60-3.5 x-stiff Aldila RIP 60-2.7 x-stiff Aldila RIP 70-2.7 stiff Ping stock shaft S-Flex [IMG] [/IMG]

Perhaps some tiny little defect in the club? Something that would compromise the shaft when installed? Or if they were all installed by the same person, perhaps he's doing something wrong? Otherwise, no idea.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are breaking the fibers with the hosel. Check for a specified ferrule. The idea is that the ferrule is actually a component of the head instead of a decorative effect, and its purpose is to spread force up and across the fibers and not edge break them as your problem shows is possible. Ping is kinda famous for interesting hosel ideas. Dont ask me why they did that, my only guess when hosels change shape is some designer is using the metal as weighting one way or another.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I have gotten the shafts from various places. Have you heard of this happening before?

Sure, just not four in a row breaking the exact same way. That's why I'm just trying to think of a possible common denominator.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks lik[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/77581/4-broken-shafts-no-solition#post_1064594"] Sure, just not four in a row breaking the exact same way. That's why I'm just trying to think of a possible common denominator.[/quote]e tricky putt might be on to something? I hope!!

When a shaft breaks at the hosel, it probably means the hosel was never properly coned. The hosel top should look a little like a funnel. The club head will rock back and forth slightly and if the top edge of the hosel touches the shaft it will break the fibers and eventually break the club. I would think this wouldn't be a problem with shaft insets. I picked up a used driver and broke the shaft as you did. I got the old piece of shaft out of the hosel and deburred the hosel. I smoothed it out with emory cloth to make it really smooth. Shouldn't have a problem with that club again. It is also wise to make sure your graphite shafts don't rub the top of your bag causing wear. This can also cause the shaft to break. I put a piece of clear tape on the shaft wear it touches the golf bag.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The supply houses should have them. They are usually called a collared ferrule, and sort of wedge themselves down into the hosel, typically into a matching opening left in the upper part of the hosel. I dont play Ping but understand that the hosels are .350. Check for slop with a dry fit or measure it if you are using a .335 tip. They would be very susceptible to breaking without a support. By support, include the idea of a brass shim on a .335 shaft. They may make a smaller ID ferrule, but I dont know.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Hireko, Golfsmith. If you are gonna play with clubs, spend 20 bucks at a hardware store and get a cheap digital micrometer. It will save you some bucks.

Tom R.

Have the batteries ever corroded? I have had that problem and couldnt stop it.

Tom R.

I have southern humidity. I guess I will try some dieletric grease.

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!