IGNORED

Leaving Playing Partners Behind

Warik
Note: This thread is 6066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK - I'm not the best golfer in the world, but today I learned I'm clearly not the worst. I had time to squeeze in 9 holes before dinner, so I went to a local regulation 9 hole course. Got to the first tee at about 5:15 PM. Though a par 36, it's fairly short and I expected to be out of there no later than 6:45 PM.

I end up being grouped with a twosome that is about to tee off from the blue tees. Either they are good and this will be a pleasant round, or they suck more than I do and this will be a torture session. Guy 1 slices it 180yds into the right fairway, Guy 2 tops it to the whites. When he finishes hacking away, it's my turn. I put it down the middle a decent length. My second shot reaches the fringe, their 6th shots reach the green.

The second, third, and fourth holes weren't much better. I felt like I was watching my 8-month-ago self play. My worst mishit was a 9-iron I pulled and hit past the green. I really felt like I could have shot low (for me) today, but I had to wait literally 10 minutes between shots for these guys to catch up to me. I could have probably walked up to my ball before they could have hit up to it.

So there we are on the 5th tee and the ranger tells us to pick up the pace because we have to be off the course at sunset. I look at my watch and it's 6:30. An hour and 15 minutes to play 4 holes! There are two clear holes ahead, I'm bored out of my mind waiting for these guys, but I don't want to be a jerk and tell them I'm going to play ahead because they are too slow.

Have you ever been faced with this situation? What did you do? I ended up sticking with them till the bitter end. Had to wait 15 minutes to putt for eagle with the flagstick in because I couldn't see the hole because it was too dark (missed and took birdie ). I would have loved to just gone ahead and avoided the wait and finish when there was still daylight, but just didn't know how to say it without seeming like a jerk.

Seriously - there's no excuse for a 36 handicap wanting you to hurry the heck up.

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

what course was this? I just moved from Miami. Anyways, are you going to see these hackers again? did you exchange phone numbers? Exactly..... It's after 5:30am everyone know the rule is to get as many holes in as possible, before sunset.. I would have said, CYA! Keep working on that stroke ....

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Last weekend I got paired up with 3 players ( 2 younger kids id say 17 and an older guy) to play 18 holes. First 9 holes were painstakingly slow. After we hit the turn, the 2 younger guys headed to the clubhouse for some food so me and the older guy took advantage of the situation and left them behind. Had a great back 9, and a much more enjoyable day.
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

Seriously - there's no excuse for a 36 handicap wanting you to hurry the heck up.

If not before, definitely when the Marshall got there. Say, "hey, I'm going ahead."

Or don't say it. Look at what Rory Sabbatini did to Ben Crane a few years ago. Opinions will differ on this, but I think it's one of the best things that happened on the PGA Tour as far as affecting how we should play the game. If someone is intolerably slow -- and playing from clearly the wrong tees -- leave them behind. Look at it this way -- if you went up to your tee shot on 4 or 5, hit it, and kept at this pace, would there be a chance that they'd (a) catch up? (b) hit you with their tee shot? Seems the only way to get hit with their tee shot is to be two fairways over and unlucky.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would have politely said "adios" & played ahead. I have done similar deals when paired up with someone who I just didn't care for, I would deal with it for the front 9 but then I either play ahead for the back 9 or I head into the clubhouse for something to eat & leave them to play on their own.

it's my turn. I put it down the middle a decent length. My second shot reaches the fringe, their 6th shots reach the green.

sounds like you shot gr8 for a 36 handicap .... congrats just remember tho.. before someone can improve there are alot of slices,tops, shanks..ect. this said from a beginner that played today and yes did all them things

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

I've had it done to me when I first started playing years ago and I do it others now. Actually I do it a lot now, because I like to play fast...it's pretty much part of the game, just be polite and move on.

Today a 13 year old kid ( i am only 14) was playing his hcp. round with our comp group. He shot 154 (72 over). Our group in comp took a 5 hour round and the group behind were pissed!!!
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Have you ever been faced with this situation? What did you do? I ended up sticking with them till the bitter end. Had to wait 15 minutes to putt for eagle with the flagstick in because I couldn't see the hole because it was too dark (missed and took birdie

What you should have done was, Politely told them your going to go ahead and putt out this hole and move on to the next hole because you have to get going and have other things to get to. Tell them good luck and go. That's what I've done and usually the slower party doesn't mind because now they don't have you waiting on them.

I always play better when I'm not waiting on anyone too. For example, on my last Round of 18 I hit a 50 (ouch, I know) on the front 9 while waiting for the group in front of us. At the turn, they told us to play through. I ended up hitting a 42 on the back 9 which is a lot harder with more hazards and elevation changes. After all that we ended up playing a 3 hour and 15 minute round.

You had a putt for eagle and you're a 36 Handicap? Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment.

Anyways, I would have politely said goodbye. Those guys sound intolerable.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Golf4Life, it was Granada Golf Course in Coral Gables. Was $10 walking at that time.

---

Yeah I was definitely shooting below my handicap yesterday. The eagle putt on the last hole was from the fringe and stopped 3 feet from the hole. It was a short par 5 though (only 431 yards) but hey, a par 5 is a par 5. =)

Next time I'll try to politely move on. I finished on time but the round lost a lot of its enjoyment due to the slowness.

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

He shot 154 (72 over).

Your course must have a lot of par 5s to have a par round of 82.

I would definitely have explained I was in a hurry and walked on. It isn't rude at all. They'll probably play better without having to worry about holding you up or having you watching their every shot anyway.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

OK - I'm not the best golfer in the world, but today I learned I'm clearly not the worst. I had time to squeeze in 9 holes before dinner, so I went to a local regulation 9 hole course. Got to the first tee at about 5:15 PM. Though a par 36, it's fairly short and I expected to be out of there no later than 6:45 PM.

This isn't a competition.... leave them. No reason for you to be punished when there are open holes ahead.

In a competition, there may be stipulations made by the committee on this issue (my men's club does NOT allow you to leave your starting group in a tournament, regardless of the reason).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

What you should have done was, Politely told them your going to go ahead and putt out this hole and move on to the next hole because you have to get going and have other things to get to. Tell them good luck and go. That's what I've done and usually the slower party doesn't mind because now they don't have you waiting on them.

Exactly.

You had a putt for eagle and you're a 36 Handicap? Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment.

Nice! I've never had an eagle putt.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Have you ever been faced with this situation? What did you do? I ended up sticking with them till the bitter end. Had to wait 15 minutes to putt for eagle with the flagstick in because I couldn't see the hole because it was too dark (missed and took birdie ). I would have loved to just gone ahead and avoided the wait and finish when there was still daylight, but just didn't know how to say it without seeming like a jerk.

If nobody was in front of us, I would have just told them I was in a hurry and needed to go on ahead.

Loyalty above all else, except honor.

Note: This thread is 6066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!