IGNORED

knock-off calloway's?

Twan013
Note: This thread is 6031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

there is really nothing wrong with knockoffs when you first start playing. and $80 is pretty good for a whole set

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Personally I'd never buy knock-offs. I'd rather bye an older used set. But for $80, you certainly aren't investing a lot so why not.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

oh sure, i COULD go spend more money on a set of clubs than what my car is worth, but considering i've just gotten the itch a couple of weeks ago, and i can't invest a lot of money at the time, i thought i might be better off with these clubs... another option i had was to buy a set at wal-mart for $200.. i forget what brand they are, but they looked good in my opinion...

i would have thought that the KO's would be a good set to learn the fundamentals with... getting used to how a good solid swing feels, positioning of my body, etc. etc....

I don't know, there's always 2 sides to the story... stay cheap and learn to be good with that, or spend money to have the equipment be good for you... same as buying cars... buy the fully decked-out car, or buy the econo-version and fix it yourself..

Why are they called Callaway Knock-Off's. If they are made my Callaway then then are not Knock Offs. If they are made to look like Callaway then you are just buying Brand X Golf club.

You don't know what your getting and believe it or not, it could discourage your continuation with the game. When starting you need all the help available - you don't need $ 2000 Callaway, but you may not want $ 50 Northwestern's either.

Maybe a friend has some clubs you could borrow.

Looks don't make a golf club perform, it's the technical work that goes into the design, spec's matching, weighting etc.. You need to hit the ball correctly, but from there it's the club that does the work.. You wouldn't put rated Grade C tires on your Corvette. Think of yourself as a Corvette - and what you will be using to make the ball go..

Either way - It's a Great Game - Good Luck and Enjoy what ever you decide.

What kind are they?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Why are they called Callaway Knock-Off's. If they are made my Callaway then then are not Knock Offs. If they are made to look like Callaway then you are just buying Brand X Golf club.

You obviously haven't seen in hand what knock-offs clubs look like. They have similar physical appearances and brand name as well, but you can see the imperfection compared to the real ones. In some cases, they look 90-95% real and you'd have to really know to spot the differences.

If they look almost similar with different brand name and physical features, such as color, etc., they are called clone/replica/imitation. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, even top companies such as Titleist, Nike, Cleveland, etc do that. For instances, check and compare Titleist 660, Nike Forged Blades, Cleveland CG1, and Mizuno MP-33.
hey guys, I got offered a set of knock-off calloways (a complete set, extra driver, and a bag included) for $80... is this a good deal for a beginner's golf set?

It doesn't matter what clubs you're playing as long as they're not blades if you're a beginner, because during those times you'll first learn a lot how to swing than actually hitting the ball. If you can't swing right you can't hit the ball right. Once you get your fundamental settled and able to hit the ball quite consistently, then it's about the clubs. You'll know what clubs to get by then.

Getting this so-called knockoff clubs isn't what it is all about. It's about you whether or not having the habit to pick up something and drop it in a month. You said you've just gotten the itch few weeks ago, but you don't know for sure yet if golf is your sport, do you? I've seen many people spent a lot of cash by buying high-end latest model of golf clubs and just to drop it later after a few months. Don't make the same mistake.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

It's about you whether or not having the habit to pick up something and drop it in a month. You said you've just gotten the itch few weeks ago, but you don't know for sure yet if golf is your sport, do you? I've seen many people spent a lot of cash by buying high-end latest model of golf clubs and just to drop it later after a few months. Don't make the same mistake.

hence the reason for me buying these clubs.. if i drop it as soon as i pick it up, its only 80 dollars that i lost, as opposed to what could be a few thousand?... and i can probably make that money back (as long as the clubs aren't rusty and stuff).. and maybe in a year or so, i'll know what to look for in a set of clubs.. and if i play for a year pretty steady, then i'll know for a fact that its something i can invest in; something that i will continue to play

I happen to play 'knock off' Calloways. My sig says 'Calloway X-16', but my clubs actually say 'Acer XP'. I bought them from a guy who custom made them. Measured me, adjusted my lie angle, suggested and installed a particular shaft, and even allowed me to pick out my own grips. My Irons cost all of $200 after all was said and done.

Your club needs change so much the first few years you play I don't see any reason to go spend $800-$1200 on a set, especially since you probably won't be hitting off the fairway very often when you first start

If I were you I would find a place that does something like what I mentioned above and get some new clubs that are made for you for $200 or less.

In the Bag:

-Driver- 905ti 10.5 deg Speeder Shaft
-3W- R7
-Hybrid- G5 22 deg -Irons- X-16 Reduced Offset Created -GW, SW and PutterAnd a Big 'ole Umbrella!

well, i'm gonna buy these, and if i play regularly until the holidays, then i'll give myself a christmas present! let's see... that's 4 months for 80 bucks, spend about 200-250 on a new set of clubs (custom fit for me of course)... then a year after that, if i'm STILL playing, upgrade again to some "top dawg" kind of stuff.. i really like the nike SQ series that i've seen on the net...

you know how that saying goes "You pay for what you get" just dont get high expectations and most importantly dont get discouraged... Does that guy have a demo set or a few clubs for you to try out?
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Acer makes some GOOD "component" stuff. Got a couple of sets of their heads now. Owned by HIREKO Golf.

-Landon

What golf4life said, you get what you pay for. I got my Cleveland Irons for $200 off ebay. They're a great price for them IMO, and havent had any problems with them at all. Before you buy the cheap immiatations built in some town in china you've never heard of, at least look for some better options.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5*
3W: r7 Draw 15*
2H: Slingshot Hybrid 17*
7W: Launcher Sport 22*
Irons: Launcher 5-PWGW: X-Tour 50*SW: SV Tour 56*Putter: Sabertooth 34"Ball: TaylorMade TP LD Red

• 1 month later...
What golf4life said, you get what you pay for. I got my Cleveland Irons for $200 off ebay. They're a great price for them IMO, and havent had any problems with them at all. Before you buy the cheap immiatations built in some town in china you've never heard of, at least look for some better options.

I've got news...MAJOR MAJORITY of clubheads are from some town in China we've never heard of !!!

-Landon

Note: This thread is 6031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!