IGNORED

Graphite/Steel Shafts for Irons?

ChvyKc
Note: This thread is 5577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What type of shaft do you use with your irons?

• Steel
    • Graphite

I really love the feel of steel and use steel, but for years I played graphites due to the distance increase. One issue I had however, was that because I take such a big divot and hit down on the ball, I snapped far too many shafts.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nippon NS Pro 750gh and NS Pro 850 gh are steel shafts that weight about 75 - 87 grams and graphite shafts are about 60 - 65 grams.

The technology in steel shaft from Nippon golf shaft are closing the gap.

I talked to several good golfers that have switched to graphite shafts because it allows them to practice more.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Steel in irons is almost always the best option.
I have heard people say that as long as you have a good brand
it won't matter if its steel or graphite.
In my experience you get more feel and control with steel.
In the end it all comes down what you feel confident and comfortable with.
Screw what anyone else says.

My Weapons:
Driver: Tour Edge Exotics 9* (Fuji High Launch Stiff)
3 Wood: MDGolf Blackhawk (Prolite Stiff)
20* Hybrid: Maxfli Redeemer (High Launch Reg)
Irons (3-PW): Ben Hogan BH-5 (Apex shafts Reg)Wedges: 58* Progen (True Temper Reg) 60* MDGolf Superstrong (True Temper Reg)Putter:...

Steel for irons and wedges. Graphite for hybrids and woods.

My Titleist SC85 Bag holds:

Callaway Hyper X Driver - 10 Degree
Cobra Bafflers 1, 3 & 4
Cobra 3100 I/H Irons 5-GWTitleist Vokey Wedges 54 & 58PiNG i-Series Anser 4 PutterCallaway Big Bertha & Warbird Balls

• 6 months later...
I purchased a set of metal woods(1,3,5,7)from a club maker in Ft. Myers, Florida called "The Better Club"...They have graphite shafts and I hit them very acurately.
I just ordered a few days ago some graphite shaft irons from Pro-Series Golf and they
should be arriving tomarrow. These are blade irons because I am a player but did not
want the steel because I have a bit of arthritis in my fingers and wrists and the pain with
steel is noticeable at the driving range after hitting around 100 shots or so. I think that graphite is just as accurate as steel maybe even more so in my case and you don't get
near the vibration as with steel. It has been my experience that you still get very good
feed back with graphite. You must remember that most pros are switching to graphite for there drivers at least and graphite even in irons is becoming more popular with the pros. You should try both before settling on one or the other!!

I don't understand why people insist graphite shafts are for lower swing speeds. If that's true then why does Tiger Woods use graphite in his driver. As I believe I have stated before I purchased a 1, 3, 5, 7 with graphite shafts and they are not only accurate but long. And even though I am 54 I still swing pretty hard and quick. Graphite shafts do however transmit less vibration up through the shaft to the hands and that helps tremendously If you have a bit of arthritis in the hands and wrists. When I go to the driving range I hit a hundred plus balls everytime and I get the aches and pains in my hands and that is why I recently purchased a set of V-series blades(clone nike-MFB PRO
MODEL) with MCS 75 Blue Crush stiff shaft graphite. Just delivered 13 Jan 09. I will try them out within the next couple of days and report back. The graphite shaft technology is outstanding and I think it will eventually be proven that graphite is as good or even better, in most cases. These shafts come in L,A,R,S, and X flex. So if they come in Stiff and Xtra-stiff don't you think it's illogical for people to claim that graphite is for slower swing speeds??

Today I went out and hit my new MFB PRO MODEL blades with Blue Crush MCS 75 graphite shafts. They launch nice and high and land soft. Even the the 3 iron when properly hit launches impressively high. I admit I will have to practice quite a bit more with these blades but I am really amazed with how responsive the shafts are. I hit around 150 balls and I was sore but If I had hit steel this long I would not have made it that long(not to mention I have not picked up a club in 2 to 3 weeks). I think in the long run the graphite is going to be the ticket in all of my clubs. The feed back from the shafts is just fine. Aproximate distances of irons; 9-145-150, 8-155 -160, 7-165-170, 6-175, 5-180-190, 4-200-210, 3-215-220. My woods of another maker(Better Club){Graphite/stiff}, 7 wood 180 -205, 5 wood 215-225, 3 wood-250-265+, Driver 265-300. The Accuracy of all of these clubs is very good when hit squarely. Bottom line, don't rule out these shafts especially if you tire in the hands and wrists; they will make a difference after hitting around 100 practice shots plus.

Note: This thread is 5577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!