IGNORED

My Swing (jasonowens)

JasonOwens
Note: This thread is 3349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 9 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 18

My typical ball flight is: Weak fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: chunk, or top, and weak fade

Ive been playing so much since march, I work my butt off to play better golf. I was a wrestling coach just trying to excel at a new sport. To say Ive been bit by the bug is an understatement, its like I got bit by a swarm of bees more like it. My mis is a fat shot. Playing more off grass rather than mat. Im lost into what Im doing wrong. I try to take advice of low point and ball placement. Its my first post here looking forward to talking with everyone!

Videos:

Hi @JasonOwens welcome to TST. Your swing is pretty good for someone just starting out. Fat shots typically occur because your low point is behind the ball. To see this I need a face on video. We also would like to see a down the line video of not only your shadow.

You have a great deal of promise so I hope that you will look around and participate in the forum.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the forum @JasonOwens ,

There is a lot of great information in the Swing Thoughts section.  I would check out the thread below.  It goes through the 5 Simple Keys that all good golf swings have.  Improvement in the first two keys, Steady Head and Weight Forward at Impact, will definitely help fat shots.  A face on video will help show how you are doing now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It is tough with the lighting. It looks like your weight is toward your heels at address. This may lead to your head moving down and toward the ball on your backswing. Then on your downswing, you have to create room and pull your head away from the ball. Check out the above link and look at Key #1 for starters. Looks good for just starting.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

• Administrator

Your video is private.

What did you work on with your instructor?

FWIW, a lot of what you hear here will be based on this: . EVERY good lesson is essentially a 5SK® lesson (whether the instructor is a 5SK® guy or not) because the 5SK® are the five things all great golfers do. They're the true commonalities.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

hitting down on the ball. standing farther from the ball to allow the trunk to move freely and induce a proper weight transfer. Just focusing on turning the body through the shot as opposed to having my hips freeze. It was such a big difference in ball flight.

• Administrator

hitting down on the ball. standing farther from the ball to allow the trunk to move freely and induce a proper weight transfer. Just focusing on turning the body through the shot as opposed to having my hips freeze. It was such a big difference in ball flight.

I'd have started with your backswing. You sway back instead of turning (hips).

Affects Keys #2, #3, and #4 quite a bit.

BTW: http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

will do! It helps me greatly to have something to practice on solely. Thanks for the valued input!!

Just to add to what Erik posted

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 7 months later...
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/SSWXY53Cnjk [/VIDEO] Hey everyone some progress, sorry for the shakiness I did my best as usual. I've changed quite a bit with my swing but I still have issues with my right hip on my backswing. I've got my handicap down to 4.5, I play at least every day and I practice for over an hour a day. I've taken quite a liking to this game and I'm starting to become much more serious as the days go on. My shot shape is kind of a straight ball, used to be a baby draw but now it's starting to fall off to the right more which I'm incredibly unhappy with. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I just signed up to Evolver to so I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Hey everyone some progress, sorry for the shakiness I did my best as usual. I've changed quite a bit with my swing but I still have issues with my right hip on my backswing. I've got my handicap down to 4.5, I play at least every day and I practice for over an hour a day. I've taken quite a liking to this game and I'm starting to become much more serious as the days go on. My shot shape is kind of a straight ball, used to be a baby draw but now it's starting to fall off to the right more which I'm incredibly unhappy with. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I just signed up to Evolver to so I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Very cool, those guys are great.

I'd keep an eye on that hip turn, make sure the hips don't slide back.

Mike McLoughlin

After some crazy practice I made ALOT of changes this week. Let me know if im on the right track guys! I prob have made thousandssss of swings in the past week to ingrain the changes in the backswing especially. Still a ways to go!

by the way @mvmac am I posting these correctly for others to see too?

After some crazy practice I made ALOT of changes this week. Let me know if im on the right track guys! I prob have made thousandssss of swings in the past week to ingrain the changes in the backswing especially. Still a ways to go!

by the way @mvmac  am I posting these correctly for others to see too

It's better. To really exaggerate it feel like the head moves a little right and that the hips move towards the target on the backswing. Feel like the chest stays "flexed over" and points towards the ground on the backswing. More "Zach Johnson" on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!