IGNORED

Diary of a bogey golfer with his 1st custom fit clubs

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4/27/15 Revised 2015 HI goal

Here's my assessment on future improvement to be made by end of this year.  This is based on how much practice time, and lessons I can devote while holding down my full time job.   In the last 4 months, I collected the low hanging fruits (new fitted clubs, workouts, 1st set of lessons, increased practices).  Going forward, other than putting improvement through Edel/Aimpoint, lowering my handicap is going to face tougher challenge.  It comes down to how smartly I use my limited practice time to continue to improve.   If I am not smart about it, just maintaining 17 HI will be a challenge.

17.0 = Current HI trend

-2.0 = Edel putter, Aimpoint lesson.  Target date the fitted putter & mastering Aimpoint = 6/30/2015.

-1.0 = Short game improvement (bunker, pitching).

-1.0 = Ball striking

-------------

13.0 <--- new goal by 12/30/2015

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I always thought that putting was a good way to lower my scores. It is as much a mind game as physical, so getting a "special putter," regardless of make or model, might actually be beneficial to your game. (I have 4 putters that go in and out of my bag based on performance. When one has a good round, I stroke it and tell it how much I appreciate how well it played that day. But, when my putting is poor I warn that putter that there are 3 other putters just waiting their chance, and one more bad day will send the putter to the dark, dingy basement.)

I disagree with that just about as much as I can without it being 100%.

The guy with the better technique - the guy who has the three Keys to putting - will be the more confident guy because he hits the best putts. Who is more confident at hitting the green from 100 yards: a PGA Tour player or a 20 handicapper? It's not because the PGA Tour player is more confident - though he is .

In 2010 I averaged 32.1 putts per round and decided I would spend the winter months practicing diligently in my game room, which has a carpet that stimps about 10.5. I combined the extra putting practice with an excellent book called, "Zen Putting," by Dr. Joseph Parent. During the 2011 season I lowered my putts per round to 31.1, or one full stroke per round, so I was pretty happy with the results.

You might have also missed an extra GIR or something, and you put in a lot of practice, so… that's a lot of stuff that goes into a stat that's suspect to start ("PPR" is not a great stat, though it's easy to track).

The last two years I changed focus to my short game, and i agree with you that improving your short game pays big dividends. Having seen the wide swings in some of your recent scores I am convinced that you are currently on the right track in overall game improvement by working on your putting and short game, and the big numbers may soon be a thing of the past.

It pays immediate dividends, but I disagree strongly that it provides BIG dividends.

4/27/15 Revised 2015 HI goal

Here's my assessment on future improvement to be made by end of this year.  This is based on how much practice time, and lessons I can devote while holding down my full time job.   In the last 4 months, I collected the low hanging fruits (new fitted clubs, workouts, 1st set of lessons, increased practices).  Going forward, other than putting improvement through Edel/Aimpoint, lowering my handicap is going to face tougher challenge.  It comes down to how smartly I use my limited practice time to continue to improve.   If I am not smart about it, just maintaining 17 HI will be a challenge.

17.0 = Current HI trend

-2.0 = Edel putter, Aimpoint lesson.  Target date the fitted putter & mastering Aimpoint = 6/30/2015.

-1.0 = Short game improvement (bunker, pitching).

-1.0 = Ball striking

-------------

13.0 <--- new goal by 12/30/2015

Those seem reasonable, though I'd look to take more off your ball striking. Try to shave two there, while keeping the short game at about -0.5, because you're going to have fewer opportunities to save short game shots if your full swing gets better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd look to take more off your ball striking. Try to shave two there

There. :-)

17.0 = Current HI trend

-2.0 = Edel putter, Aimpoint lesson.  Target date for fitted putter & mastering Aimpoint = 6/30/2015.

-0.5 = Short game improvement (bunker, pitching).

-2.0 = Ball striking

-------------

I think it will be very tough to get to 14 HI by end of the year but I need to aim high.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The guy with the better technique - the guy who has the three Keys to putting - will be the more confident guy because he hits the best putts.

First, let me clarify my posting. I coached basketball, softball, golf and tennis at the high school level, and believed that you needed to start with basics in any sport that you played. All of my players, regardless of the sport, were subject to my daily rigor of the fundamentals, to the point where they would not have to concentrate on that part of the game during our competitions.

But, I also am a firm believer that the mind is integral to getting the most our of your game. In my experience, it wasn't always the player with the best technique that ended up on top.  Here is an excerpt from WebMD that talks about mental golf...

The mind is the most formidable opponent a golfer confronts, so mastering the game of mental golf is essential. The mind can be a golfer's best friend, helping to develop the mechanics of a smooth, reliable swing and devising clever strategies for moving the ball efficiently from the tee to the cup. But the mind also produces anxiety and tension, which can tighten the muscles and destroy concentration. Suddenly the technically proficient golfer is slicing the ball deep into the woods and choking on a short putt. Trying harder only seems to make matters worse. At that point, the mind is the enemy, and the only way to overcome its powers of self-sabotage is through applying the principles of mental golf - principles that yield benefits off the course as well as on.

So in my posting to rkim...

I always thought that putting was a good way to lower my scores. It is as much a mind game as physical, so getting a "special putter," regardless of make or model, might actually be beneficial to your game.

I was just reaffirming that getting fit with an Edel putter might provide a mental lift to his putting.  There is no guarantee that your game will improve when you get a new club, and I have said so in prior postings on your outstanding website. However, sometimes a new club can actually make a difference. (I got a TM R11 driver in December of 2013, and my fairways in regulation average for 2014 of 58% was more than 10 percent higher than the 47.5% average from the previous 5 seasons. This year it is 56.4%.)

So, when you say, " The guy with the better technique - the guy who has the three Keys to putting - will be the more confident guy because he hits the best putts ," I would agree with in many cases. But, I really can't always equate a person with better technique as being the player who is more confident. The mind is funny that way.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

4/29/15 Fitted with Edel putter (will get it in 10 days or so), got Edel wedges, and took Aimpoint lessons - whew!  what a busy, costly day it was.

Despite self claim of being good at putting, I decided to be fitted (first time) with Edel putter.    Having read about Edel putter fitting, I was convinced that I can lower my HI by at least a stroke.  After the fitting, I am fully convinced that will be the case.  I have strong dominant left eye so I found out.   This caused me to aim my putter to left of target (6 inches to left from 8 feet).   On green, I'd practice pendulum swing and putt.  If I putt straight on target, the ball will miss to the left.   If I pushed it a bit, the ball has a better chance of going into the cup.  The new putter will compensate for my dominant left eye aim. There were other benefits of the fitting that will help me even more.

Then there was the Aimpoint lesson.  The lesson made sense to me.   How many strokes would it save me?  I am not so sure.  I need to practice "feeling" the green for steepness and that won't be an exact science unless I chart my home course greens and use it as reference before I putt.

Finally, I did a quick wedge fitting while at it.   The store had the wedges in house and was on sale.   I didn't plan to buy them  when I walked into the store and admit it was an impulse buy.   The new clubs may get me to practice my wedge game more.  My 40 - 60 yard pitching game used to be better and I feel I can save a stroke/round with a little bit of work.

Of course, once I play at least 10 rounds with the new putter/wedges and Aimpoint ways, I will have something real to say about them.

defreuter415, iacas - I am not clear if you guys are really disagreeing or reading too much into each other's post.   I plan to continue with my practice regimen which include daily practice of short & long game (65%+).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator
Despite self claim of being good at putting, I decided to be fitted (first time) with Edel putter.    Having read about Edel putter fitting, I was convinced that I can lower my HI by at least a stroke.  After the fitting, I am fully convinced that will be the case.  I have strong dominant left eye so I found out.   This caused me to aim my putter to left of target (6 inches to left from 8 feet).   On green, I'd practice pendulum swing and putt.  If I putt straight on target, the ball will miss to the left.   If I pushed it a bit, the ball has a better chance of going into the cup.  The new putter will compensate for my dominant left eye aim. There were other benefits of the fitting that will help me even more.

Good.

Then there was the Aimpoint lesson.  The lesson made sense to me.   How many strokes would it save me?  I am not so sure.  I need to practice "feeling" the green for steepness and that won't be an exact science unless I chart my home course greens and use it as reference before I putt.

Get a digital level. Adam Scott simply redoes a quick few-minute calibration before each round he plays.

Finally, I did a quick wedge fitting while at it.   The store had the wedges in house and was on sale.   I didn't plan to buy them  when I walked into the store and admit it was an impulse buy.   The new clubs may get me to practice my wedge game more.  My 40 - 60 yard pitching game used to be better and I feel I can save a stroke/round with a little bit of work.

What did you fit into?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nice! I'm leaning towards getting fit for Edel wedges and an Edel putter next month and getting the irons in the fall/winter.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Get a digital level. Adam Scott simply redoes a quick few-minute calibration before each round he plays.

Quote:

What did you fit into?

I plan to get a digital level.  I fit to digger 58, driver 54 & 50.   I am surprised at this and may follow up with my fitter on this.  I am a sweeper in my swings.  It was a quick fitting session and there may have been short cuts in my fitting session.

Nice!

I'm leaning towards getting fit for Edel wedges and an Edel putter next month and getting the irons in the fall/winter.

If you have limited budget (for all I know, you may be a multi-millionaire, ignore this suggestion if you are one :-) ), I recommend go with the putter fitting first.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If you have limited budget (for all I know, you may be a multi-millionaire, ignore this suggestion if you are one :-) ), I recommend go with the putter fitting first.

I'm a working man (certainly not a millionaire) but I'm actually thinking of doing the putter and two wedges in one shot (56*/60*). It's an investment, but I'm comfortable with it. Depending on the price per wedge, I might also get a 52* wedge, too. I'm pretty much not spending much money on anything that isn't an expense, necessity of life, our golf, haha. Make sure you show us pictures of your putter when it comes in!

Christian

4/29/15 part II - Edel Wedges

My fitter confirmed that I have the right wedges.  So, I took the wedges to the range.  They have 2 degree stronger loft than my current wedges.  On average, they went about 10 yards longer.  I liked that.  But the strength of these wedges are how easy and forgiving they are.  Despite high bounce, I had no issue digging my club into the ball.   I liked that.

I currently carry 4 wedges, 50, 52, 56, and 60.   I will replace them with the 3 Edel wedges, 50, 54, and 58.  This gives me a room to carry one more club.   Sweet.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4/29/15 part II - Edel Wedges

My fitter confirmed that I have the right wedges.  So, I took the wedges to the range.  They have 2 degree stronger loft than my current wedges.  On average, they went about 10 yards longer.  I liked that.  But the strength of these wedges are how easy and forgiving they are.  Despite high bounce, I had no issue digging my club into the ball.   I liked that.

I currently carry 4 wedges, 50, 52, 56, and 60.   I will replace them with the 3 Edel wedges, 50, 54, and 58.  This gives me a room to carry one more club.   Sweet.

In your early posting you said that your irons were Taylormade Speedblade - PW - 5, 1/2 inch shorter, 2 degrees flat, stock regular flex shaft. Was the wedge fitting results similar to the fitting for your irons? And, are you playing steel or graphite shafts?

That is sweet that you have one more club to carry. Do you any idea what club you are going to put in your bag? (Dave Pelz advocates a 64° wedge.  I bought one but quickly put it in the basement. Too tough for me... http://www.golf.com/equipment/why-you-should-try-64-degree-wedge).

I have another question about the clubs in your bag:  I Googled the lofts of a Jetspeed 4 hybrid (22)° and a Speedblade 5 iron (23°), and wondered what is your difference in the distance and trajectories for those two clubs, being that the lofts are so close?

Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer

In your early posting you said that your irons were Taylormade Speedblade - PW - 5, 1/2 inch shorter, 2 degrees flat, stock regular flex shaft. Was the wedge fitting results similar to the fitting for your irons? And, are you playing steel or graphite shafts?

That is sweet that you have one more club to carry. Do you any idea what club you are going to put in your bag? (Dave Pelz advocates a 64° wedge.  I bought one but quickly put it in the basement. Too tough for me... http://www.golf.com/equipment/why-you-should-try-64-degree-wedge).

I have another question about the clubs in your bag:  I Googled the lofts of a Jetspeed 4 hybrid (22)° and a Speedblade 5 iron (23°), and wondered what is your difference in the distance and trajectories for those two clubs, being that the lofts are so close?

No lie angle and length changes to the stock wedges.  But if I notice that I am pulling shots to left, the fitter suggested to bring them back for making "flat" adjustments. I have a feeling that I need to tweak the clubs a bit more as I get to know them better.

The wedges have steel shafts.

5i & 4h ball trajectories are pretty close.   The gap between the two clubs are about 15 yards (+ or - few yards), a bit longer than other gaps.  With my old clubs, it was hard to hit 5i & 4i consistently, and the next club I carried was 3h.

By removing one wedge (I carried 5) out of my bag, I can carry both 3i & 3w.   Before, I carried one or the other, depending on how well I am hitting 3w at that week.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

They are stock wedges, no personalization or upgrade done to it.  They look exactly like the ones in their web site.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Just curious. Did you consider matching your iron set and get the Taylormade Speedblade gap wedge (50°), sand wedge (55°), and lob wedge (60°) rather than the Edel wedges?

You know, this has to be the fun part of getting new clubs, so many choices and so many decisions to make. ;-)

Quote:

Just curious. Did you consider matching your iron set and get the Taylormade Speedblade gap wedge (50°), sand wedge (55°), and lob wedge (60°) rather than the Edel wedges?

You know, this has to be the fun part of getting new clubs, so many choices and so many decisions to make.

I did look at it and nixed it.  I didn't see unique character the clubs will offer in comparison to the Cleveland wedges I have.   Edel wedge purchase was an impulse buy decision although I was reading up on it for a few weeks and knew about their pitch (high bounce).   I usually take weeks or months before investing on an equipment.  I am hoping my impulse & Edel reviews turn out to be right.  If not, I still have Seller's account in Ebay. :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5/4/15 Aimpoint, Edel wedges, and state of things

Practiced and tried Aimpoint in the Saturday round.  Didn't go well as most of my home course greens have slopes in both X & Y directions which I didn't have enough practice in Aimpoint ways.  This resulted in applying Aimpoint in half hazard fashion.   Had 36 putts (4+ above my average) but had a good round of 91.

Getting used to the new Edel wedges.   This was an impulse buy and I was a bit skeptical of what positive differences the clubs will bring.  So far,  the clubs gave me the "best" full swing shots vs all the wedges I had before.  I tend to scoop & skull full wedge shots and don't use it unless I am forced to.   With these wedges, I can use the full wedge shots as my go-to shot.   The clubs also gave me good pitch shots, straight, high, and a bit of spin at landing that my previous wedges didn't.   However, getting out of deep rough & bunker need more practice with these clubs.  The big difference in bounce between my old & new wedges require some getting used to.

Played two rounds on Sunday and carded 96 & 98.   Not bad but not good either.   The good new was that I didn't have a 100+ round that I was prone to getting lately.   The bad news was that I tried to hit for distance on a few swings which ended up OB.   I need to play within my swing tempo.  Arrrrgh.

After a huge and sudden HI drop, it is showing signs of setting down to 15 - 17 HI range.   This was something I was afraid of and the main reason for plunking down a part of my son's inheritance (sorry, my son) to buy Edel putter/wedges and taking Aimpoint lesson.  Will see how things go in the next month or two, especially, after my custom made Edel putter arrives - hopefully before this weekend.   The new putter is the one I believe will have the most positive impact on my game.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5/4/15 Aimpoint, Edel wedges, and state of things

Practiced and tried Aimpoint in the Saturday round.  Didn't go well as most of my home course greens have slopes in both X & Y directions which I didn't have enough practice in Aimpoint ways.  This resulted in applying Aimpoint in half hazard fashion.   Had 36 putts (4+ above my average) but had a good round of 91.

Getting used to the new Edel wedges.   This was an impulse buy and I was a bit skeptical of what positive differences the clubs will bring.  So far,  the clubs gave me the "best" full swing shots vs all the wedges I had before.  I tend to scoop & skull full wedge shots and don't use it unless I am forced to.   With these wedges, I can use the full wedge shots as my go-to shot.   The clubs also gave me good pitch shots, straight, high, and a bit of spin at landing that my previous wedges didn't.   However, getting out of deep rough & bunker need more practice with these clubs.  The big difference in bounce between my old & new wedges require some getting used to.

Played two rounds on Sunday and carded 96 & 98.   Not bad but not good either.   The good new was that I didn't have a 100+ round that I was prone to getting lately.   The bad news was that I tried to hit for distance on a few swings which ended up OB.   I need to play within my swing tempo.  Arrrrgh.

After a huge and sudden HI drop, it is showing signs of setting down to 15 - 17 HI range.   This was something I was afraid of and the main reason for plunking down a part of my son's inheritance (sorry, my son) to buy Edel putter/wedges and taking Aimpoint lesson.  Will see how things go in the next month or two, especially, after my custom made Edel putter arrives - hopefully before this weekend.   The new putter is the one I believe will have the most positive impact on my game.

:-$

I think I'm going to get Edel wedges with a putter next weekend so your review of the wedges is most helpful.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!