IGNORED

My Swing (Torres9)

Torres9
Note: This thread is 3294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Youre absolutely right, The plane I was referring to is at the top, but your right it's outside the ball like you said. I do see what your showing I'm slightly closed too. I'm just not sure how to get it like the picture to the right. Do you hinge almost immediately after take away? You're on and can't thank you enough. As you said, I'm hitting it solid now, but I appreciate you're help because this is exactly why things i want to keep improving so I have even better positions for even better consistency long term. Im very determined to fix this, and practice engraining the right plane like on the right you show above.

For you it will feel like you hinge immediately, "thumbs up".

Film yourself doing this drill. First move is to only hinge your wrists straight up, then add the turn. This drill shouldn't be anything new since I've posted it in your thread before ;-)

Also check your grip, make sure the left hand is in the fingers, not the palm.

Erik brought up a good point about camera angles and discussing plane. You can also be "on plane" in certain positions but that doesn't mean the entire motion is sound.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks to me like you lose the connection between arms (particularly left arm) and torso very early. You're basically only using your arms and hands to swing. I suspect you struggle with distance?

There's an awful lot of wrist action and very little turn in shoulders. I suspect simply using your bigger upper body muscles more to rotate your body on the backswing will solve a lot of problems, including your pull.

A good drill is to stick a glove/headcover under your left armpit and feel the pressure of your arm on your body as you try to keep it pinned there on backswing. Keep your hands light and passive on the club and let your wrists hinge naturally instead of putting it in very early as you do.

The greater turn in your upper body will hopefully help stop you coming over the top on downswing and pulling.

My camera angle is better now. Thank you for your response. You are correct, not a long hitter. I've been trying to hinge earlier, I notice in the video, my ball position with driver is bad. I uploaded this one because it's one of my poorer shots, little low. Still trying to make adjustments, but my progress if any is minimal so far I personally think after looking at video. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/AT6JLHdRPUw[/VIDEO]

Hey friend you're right, my left arm is coming separated way too soon, I even noticed the same thing in this one too, nice catch. I never noticed that until now [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/fBs9QF-WRNA[/VIDEO]

Ok. Well I have to tell you, I'm very impressed. My ball striking today was great. I took mvmac's advice and also tried to keep my left arm closer to my torso and one piece. I didn't do any glove trick. The key was the thumbs up idea. It was very consistent and feels repeatable. I can score well, my short game is strong, so when my swing is a little off, I can maintain, and produce good scores, but I want more. I can't wait to post my update video. Hopefully it's an improvement. The strangest thing is, the passive, thumbs up felt like my old swing when I was playing my best. Sadly back then, I changed it even though I was winning so I could look more prototypical. Big mistake. Hopefully I'm getting close to what mvmac is looking for. Thank you all again.

I didn't do any glove trick.

You should, or use a tee. Film that.

BTW, from my first post in the thread ;-)

Welcome to the site. I'd like to see the club load less inside on the takeaway. Your left arm and hands work away from you and this leads to the shaft loading too shallow on the backswing which then steepens it on the downswing, causing you to swing across the ball. I would recommend you hinge the wrists up sooner. Will feel like you're giving a thumbs up during the takeaway. This will also help "soften" the upper back and allow the left shoulder to work more under your chin.

Mike McLoughlin

I second the glove under armpit drill. I do it very often just to ensure my left arm and torso move as one throught the downswing. In fact Tim Clark tucks a bit of his shirt under his left arm before he plays his shots for that exact reason.

As for 'trying to hinge earlier', in my opinion, if you're gripping the club correctly and with the right amount of pressure (which is usually lighter than you think), then your hands should hinge naturally at the top of your swing. In fact you shouldnt really be thinking about your hands when swinging, they should be passive and loose. That's also the key to good natural lag, which of course is the key to easy power. Just look at Snead's or Hogan's swing and how late they hinge. Snead in particular has some of the loosest and freest hands ever, and he was also a bomber of the ball and dead straight.

I suggest two things. Stick a glove under your armpit and grip the club extremely lightly and make a few swings. I promise after a few dozens balls your ball striking will be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

worked on the glove and thumbs up drill

How have you been hitting it?

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Nice work here, congrats! I think I´m like you in terms of years playing golf (almost), but my handicap (and thus my game) is like 4 times worse than yours... :-\ Seems that I´m doing something wrong... Anyway the problem you have with placing your club inside on the takeaway is the same I think I have. I should take a look at this thread to get some good information, and work as hard as you are doing...

Saludos,

:nike:

Nice work here, congrats! I think I´m like you in terms of years playing golf (almost), but my handicap (and thus my game) is like 4 times worse than yours...  Seems that I´m doing something wrong... Anyway the problem you have with placing your club inside on the takeaway is the same I think I have. I should take a look at this thread to get some good information, and work as hard as you are doing...

Saludos,

Thank you.

It is a bit different, but mvmac was correct, you have to rotate your body and thumbs up in sync. It feels like you are picking the club straight up, but in actuality its setting it on plane. Also pay very close attention to your grip and its relation to the impact area. It took me a while to understand and little longer to work it in, but my ball striking is much more consistent and crisp.  I feel like keeping my left close and connected helps my swing hold up under pressure now too.  I only focus on tempo, balance and ensuring i make a good shoulder turn each time.  My results are the best of my life over the last month. I shot 69 today, honestly the best in many years and I am ecstatic..

Thank you.

It is a bit different, but mvmac was correct, you have to rotate your body and thumbs up in sync. It feels like you are picking the club straight up, but in actuality its setting it on plane. Also pay very close attention to your grip and its relation to the impact area. It took me a while to understand and little longer to work it in, but my ball striking is much more consistent and crisp.  I feel like keeping my left close and connected helps my swing hold up under pressure now too.  I only focus on tempo, balance and ensuring i make a good shoulder turn each time.  My results are the best of my life over the last month. I shot 69 today, honestly the best in many years and I am ecstatic..

Ok, I´ll keep that in mind this afternoon in the range (the thumbs up is a good feeling i think).

Yesterday I felt that my strikes where so much better when I tried to keep my hands close to my body at the start of the BS, like almost touching my knees. It´s amazing when you hit it solid, any sensation is so great.

Congrats for your 3,6 ... Awesome-

:nike:

• 3 weeks later...
I will post a video soon. One tip I can give that has been working for me lately. As I'm "enjoying my backswing" with tempo, I try to get just one more inch shoulder turn as a thought and it's working beautifully. Sounds simple, which I prefer to keep things simple.. but working extremely well.

Note: This thread is 3294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!