IGNORED

Choice beetween Burner 3 Wood or Scotty Cameron Red X for b-day

Note: This thread is 6086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

my birthday is coming on October 20, and my parents have told me i can get a golf club for ~200. I just went to Golf Galaxy and was trying the launch monitor and they told me that at my age(15) I would greatly benefit from developing a better iron game and gradually learn the woods instead of trying to learn to hit driver right away. Because i would have to ajust and learn again to using driver because it is such a different club than the woods.

I shoot in the low 100s mostly because of my lack of consistency in my swing and, even when i do stike it clean, there is a lack of distance. I am using a starter set of titanium clubs.

The only reason i am able to bogey or double bogey every hole is i one, two or three putt every hole(usually two, unless i get a bad chip or approach). I have a very crappy putter right now and have wanted a scotty since i started playing. I was using the red X on my Golf course's practice greens and it was amazing. I must have used it for two hourse, and i knew i had to have one.

My question is, what do you think i would be better off with.

I'd stick with a Red X, with care it will last you your whole life. You use your driver/3 wood a max of 14 times a round off the tee, how many putts do you make?

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Administrator

If you can find a Scotty Cameron for only $200, I'd go for it.

Of course, that assumes:
a) you're an arc stroke putter
b) you like mallets
c) you like the feel and look of the putter
d) you choose the proper length and weight combo

In other words, don't buy it just because it's a Scotty Cameron...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks for all the input you guys, i think i am going to go with the scotty.

If you can find a Scotty Cameron for only $200, I'd go for it.

actually, those are the reasons i'm getting it for, really. It is one of the few heel-toe mallets(i have an arc stroke) and I wanted a smaller mallet with a simple sightline layout(basically the opposite of an odyssey putter).

But the deal-breaker for me is the actual results. The ball rolls true of the face of the putter without skips and sidespins, and the GSS insert really gives me a feel of where the ball is going to go, unlike the squishy feeling of the polymer inserts on most putters i tried. thanks for the advice, though, i see you are the owner of one as well.

sounds like a no brainer... if you can putt then you'll be in a good position for when the rest of your game catches up.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

sounds like a no brainer... if you can putt then you'll be in a good position for when the rest of your game catches up.

yeah, right now it is the best part of my game. mostly because when i was little i wasn't allowed to play and couldn't really afford the driving range so i just putted on the practice green. Putting is my favorite part of the game and i've always wanted a scotty. I just wondered if maybe getting a 'real' three wood would be more important because i could hit it farther. But, really putting is the biggest part of the game so it is a no brainer for me now.

To me, the long range of the game is more important to me. If it takes you 10 shots to get to a par 5 green, it doesnt matter how good your putting is because your score isn't going to look good on the score card

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5*
3W: r7 Draw 15*
2H: Slingshot Hybrid 17*
7W: Launcher Sport 22*
Irons: Launcher 5-PWGW: X-Tour 50*SW: SV Tour 56*Putter: Sabertooth 34"Ball: TaylorMade TP LD Red

To me, the long range of the game is more important to me. If it takes you 10 shots to get to a par 5 green, it doesnt matter how good your putting is because your score isn't going to look good on the score card

yes, but that usually doesn't happen. Putting accounts for half of your strokes in a game, and is usually where someone would screw up.

You will have a better score if you can putt well and are a bad ball striker, than if the opposite were true

yeah, right now it is the best part of my game. mostly because when i was little i wasn't allowed to play and couldn't really afford the driving range so i just putted on the practice green. Putting is my favorite part of the game and i've always wanted a scotty. I just wondered if maybe getting a 'real' three wood would be more important because i could hit it farther. But, really putting is the biggest part of the game so it is a no brainer for me now.

you're probably not going to out grow that putter.. You're only 15 and you'll probably going get stronger if anything else, so my guess is that down the line, based on technology and shaft flexibility you will look into upgrading one or the other.

Chrismas is around the corner.... Get the Burner for christmas.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

yes, but that usually doesn't happen. Putting accounts for half of your strokes in a game, and is usually where someone would screw up.

That can happen very easily. A few shanks in a row, or hit out of bounds off the tee, and you're already 3 and not even in the fairway yet.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5*
3W: r7 Draw 15*
2H: Slingshot Hybrid 17*
7W: Launcher Sport 22*
Irons: Launcher 5-PWGW: X-Tour 50*SW: SV Tour 56*Putter: Sabertooth 34"Ball: TaylorMade TP LD Red

I'd have to agree with the rest of the gang. Go with the scotty. You can play it for years and still have a premium putter. Like GOLF4LIFE said your game will change and shaft and head options on your woods may not fit you the same in a year. The putter will be more of a constant. Best of luck

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

We've got the same birthday! Us and Mickey Mantle. I'm twice your age though. I'd go with the Scotty.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

We've got the same birthday! Us and Mickey Mantle. I'm twice your age though. I'd go with the Scotty.

I'm definately going to have a go at it, not sure if my parents will get it for my birthday or not, if not i just will have to save for it. fine either way, now i get a cameron

Note: This thread is 6086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!