IGNORED

Help needed: new ball for 2015

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi! This is my first post on TST but I am "silently" enjoying the forum alreqdy quite a while. I am aged in the 40+ category, living in Germany and am an avid and passionate golfer with a current HCP of 6,8. Swinging the driver with around 106 to 108 mph, producing a rather high spin - high launch type of ballflight with irons and woods. In my everlasting search for optimizing performance I am looking for experiences and recommendations regarding the golf ball. I am playing the Bridgestone E6 for about 7 years where my handicap hovered around 15. As my striking got better and I am looking to go below a 5 HCP in 2015 I was thinking about switching my ball to maybe more compression (=distance?) and a tad more control / spin on (half)wedge shots. I manage to stop even even mid irons within a few feet but the short game is surely more of a "hop and roll" with the E6. My plan is to narrow the selection down to maybe three balls that I can test intensively on a trackman and on course in the next weeks. Can you help and share experiences? All the best and low scores to anyone!

Welcome to the site.  Maybe try the Bridgestone B330s since you are already using their balls, and the ProV1x.  Take your pick of a third brand.  Those are higher swing speed balls.  There is not much difference in the top level balls it seems.  They all have a pretty similar short game performance that you are looking for.  I am trying the Nike rzn Black balls out this year myself.  Good luck and have fun.  Ultimately though hitting more greens each year will improve your game the most.  Welcome again!

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(4W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST. Here is a fun website from Bridgestone Golf. It will help you find the appropriate Bridgestone golf ball to match your game.

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/ball-fitting/ball-selection-guide

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I prefer colored balls. I play the Volvik Vista iV green. They are long off the tee. I like the feel in the short game and putting. The release on chips is just right. The spin on approach shots stop within a few feet. If you back the ball up a lot, this will tame that down. The Vista iS will spin more, but they don't come in green. I really like the Srixon Z-star as well. Pro V1 feels a little mushy, the V1x too hard. I played a Maxfli U6 for a few holes and really liked how that ball stopped on the greens. Really nice ball as well. Dicks runs those on sale quite a bit. Normally $50 per dozen. With a BOGO, $25 per dozen for a ball every bit as good as any tour ball out there. Unfortunately they only come in white.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Here's a new one.....

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-balls/balls-2015-chrome-soft.html

I have a driver SS in the low 90s, and I've been playing the Callaway Hex Chromes and Hex Chrome+ last year. My handicap issue is driver control. I can stop these dead on the green with my approach shots.

These new balls are supposed to have the distance of the Supersofts with the control of the Hex Chromes+ (which is what Mickelson plays).

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Hey thanx for your warm welcome, the insights and recommendations so far! I used the Bridgestone online ball fiting guide and wrote them a mail. Online guide suggests to try the 330, their mail reply suggested heavily the 330-rx. Despite pricing I found the ProV1x an alternative as I played that ball as a provisional sometimes (too often maybe). Regarding Callaway I generally like their products but they are changing product lines so often that you can't really rely on steady ball performance from my point of view. HEX, Chrome, Hot, Hot2, Soft, Speed Regime, aso. They just confuse me. So here is the result so far: Balls to test: Slot 1: Bridgestone B330 and B330-RX Slot 2: Titleist ProV1x Slot 3: still free I know there are some comparisons already on the board so will check them first. What are your thoughts on a third ball and do you have a comparison to the E6 that I currently play for the others? Btw: I heard there are plans for a tour version of the Chrome Soft (higher compression)...

Balls to test:

Slot 1: Bridgestone B330 and B330-RX

Slot 2: Titleist ProV1x

Slot 3: still free

I know there are some comparisons already on the board so will check them first. What are your thoughts on a third ball and do you have a comparison to the E6 that I currently play for the others?

I play the Bridgestone B330 and Titleist Pro V1. My third ball is the high end Callaway ball. (I bought the Hex in 2013 and still have a few left.)  I agree with you about Callaway changing product lines regularly, but I have found that there is little difference in the product quality. I do like the fact that when you buy a Pro V1, you do have an idea of the quality that you can expect.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave

Hi!

Can you help and share experiences?

All the best and low scores to anyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

Welcome to the site.  Maybe try the Bridgestone B330s since you are already using their balls, and the ProV1x.  Take your pick of a third brand.  Those are higher swing speed balls.  There is not much difference in the top level balls it seems.

Correct, it is like getting fitted for a driver. There might be small differences between drivers if you get fitted. Premium golf balls are all very similar. Mostly you area looking at +/- 300 RPM off the driver, and +/- 400 rpm on the wedge shots. All the premium golf balls are all lumped together in one area when tested.

Ping just came out with a new driver, a lower spin model. It basically is a driver that shaved off about 300-400 rpm off the base G30 model. That is kinda what it is like for golf balls.

http://www.golfdigest.com/images/equipment/2014-05/eqsl32-hot-list-ball-spin-rate-chart.jpg

In the end, find a golf ball that you are confident with. I prefer premium golf balls because the feel of the ball. So I play the higher price for basically the higher wedge spin and the feel. Basically its the Urethane Cover.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!