IGNORED

Anyone know how to convert video from a 4 pin firewire port to a laptop?

boil3rmak3r
Note: This thread is 3319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently signed up for Evolvr.  I got my Panasonic PV-GS80 video camera out (which uses a mini digital video cassette) to shoot my first video.  This camera can capture videos in very high FPS and would be great for golf swing analysis.  I haven't used the camera in a while.  During the time it's been idle, my old computer crapped out.  To replace the computer, I bought an HP ENVY TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook..  It was fine for what I figured I needed.  Of course, I now realize the new laptop does not have a firewire port, so I can't use my old firewire cord to transfer videos from my video camera to my laptop.

I've done online searches and made phone calls to the Geek Squad and Panasonic.  It appears that there is no connector that will work to transfer video directly from my camera to my laptop.  The only potential solution I've seen is to use a DVD burner.  In doing research on DVD burners, I have no clue how to make heads or tails out of the info I find.  Furthermore, it appears it may be more cost effective to just get a newer camera than to monkey around with a burner...

As many of you can probably tell from my ramblings above, I am not knowledgeable on these kinds of things.  So, I was hoping there may be some "Geeks" out there that might be able to chime in and provide some guidance.  The video I've submitted to Evolvr from my iPhone 4s is pretty bad.

• Administrator

I wouldn't recommend going the DVD burner route.

You could pick up an old computer, but that seems like an odd thing to do just for this.

Doubt your computer has a PCMCIA port, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I checked a couple of ideas for finding the FireWire to USB or HDMI adapters.

Found - "Firewire Ieee 1394 6 Pin Male To Usb A Male Adapter" on EBay

But, it looks like the output on the camcorder is the 4 pin?

Still checking for adapters to HDMI

Found this - 6ft 1.8m USB To Firewire IEEE 1394 4 Pin iLink Adapter Data Cable on EBay

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator

Found this - 6ft 1.8m USB To Firewire IEEE 1394 4 Pin iLink Adapter Data Cable on EBay

I'm not sure Firewire-to-USB adapters work for getting video off such cameras.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wouldn't recommend going the DVD burner route. You could pick up an old computer, but that seems like an odd thing to do just for this. Doubt your computer has a PCMCIA port, right?

I agree - picking up an old computer just for Evolvr doesn't make sense. And, no, my computer doesn't have a PCMCIA port. Thanks for the advice on not going the DVD burner route. I'd rather spend money on a newer camera than to waste it on a poor attempt to connect an old one. [quote name="Club Rat" url="/t/80984/anyone-know-how-to-convert-video-from-a-4-pin-firewire-port-to-a-laptop#post_1119751"]I checked a couple of ideas for finding the FireWire to USB or HDMI adapters. Found - "Firewire Ieee 1394 6 Pin Male To Usb A Male Adapter" on EBay But, it looks like the output on the camcorder is the 4 pin? Still checking for adapters to HDMI images%2F2f7407ad-dcc8-4a49-bf8d-2dc16ea50558.jpg [/quote] Yeah, my camera is 4 pin. There are 4 pin to USB connectors available, but they are not capable of transferring video. The more I research, the more I think there is no cost effective and quality solution to this. I may just have to start looking for a new camera. It's a shame, though, because the camera I have works really well when you can transfer video with Firewire. Thanks for the responses. Club Rat, don't spend time to research this just for my question. I've done a lot of research online and was just hoping a TST member knew of some nifty solution. Now that I know a DVD burner isn't a good option, I'm convinced there isn't one. Thanks for the effort, though.

The manual http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS85-MU.pdf

On page 12, shows the camera has a DV input/output terminal.

To bad you didn't get the 85 model, it has mini USB.

The only other option maybe finding a friend with a pcmi card slot like Eric mentioned and DL the video and then transfer to a SD card.

Really sucks you can not record video to SD on the camera.

The manual [URL=http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS85-MU.pdf]http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS85-MU.pdf[/URL] On page 12, shows the camera has a DV input/output terminal. To bad you didn't get the 85 model, it has mini USB. The only other option maybe finding a friend with a pcmi card slot like Eric mentioned and DL the video and then transfer to a SD card. Really sucks you can not record video to SD on the camera.

I am engaged and have friends

A PCMI is a 20 pin connector used for several purposes, phone, WiFi, storage cards, etc.

They make a PCMI dual port card for FireWire which inserts into older laptops and PC's if you buy the adapter for PC's.

One other thought. Remove your DV mini tape from the camcorder and see if you can change the record settings to the SD card.

It looks like factory settings are for the tape (videos) and still photos to SD cards.

Maybe without the tape, you possibly can select the SD?

I still think you should be able to transfer the Video file out with the DV input/output terminal using the  4 pin to USB connectors.

There only a couple of bucks $2.50 on EBay shipped.

I have a JVC and use the SD card. I'll connect my mini USB cord to the camcorder and PC tomorrow and check if I can transfer my video.

Getting late, heading to the sack.

Note: This thread is 3319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!