IGNORED

New to Golf

BlueMonkey
Note: This thread is 3303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I am a college student interested in learning about golf. Honestly speaking, I do not know much about it but I want to learn more. I am working on a project that focuses on golf and I just wanted to ask a few general question. How did you guys become interested in golf? Do you play golf professionally or is it a hobby? How many times a week do you usually play golf?

How did you guys become interested in golf?

-My dad bought me clubs when I was a kid and would take me out to play and I always enjoyed it but stopped playing to focus on baseball but this year baseball got boring and not fun so I quit and picked up golf to finish out my high school sports career.

Do you play golf professionally or is it a hobby?

-A hobby but I do play on my high school golf team and play in tournaments.

How many times a week do you usually play golf?

-Depends on the weather but this last week even with some rain I got out to the course 6 times and played 4 rounds, took one day off after a tournament.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best of luck to you TGB. Maybe you will get that scholarship and eventually turn pro.

As for me, I started when I was 34 years old because of an office rivalry. After being spanked, I vowed that I would beat him in a year. He laughed at me. Sure enough, I whooped him 1 year later but "the bug" had bitten me. I play once every weekend as a hobby when the weather permits. I would love to be a tour pro but my golf instructors and the " The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

thread right here on this blog site shows me how the odds are stacked WAY WAY WAY against me.  Keep in mind, there is a reason why my golf instructors are not tour pros. Hopefully a pro golf instructor will give you more insight.

Hi everyone,

I am a college student interested in learning about golf. Honestly speaking, I do not know much about it but I want to learn more. I am working on a project that focuses on golf and I just wanted to ask a few general question. How did you guys become interested in golf? Do you play golf professionally or is it a hobby? How many times a week do you usually play golf?

"How did you guys become interested in golf?"

I started playing golf when I was 25 years old.  A bunch of my friends/co-workers played and really enjoyed it, so I figured I must be missing out on something fun, so I took it up.  Have been playing now for about 28 years.

"Do you play golf professionally or is it a hobby?"

I've always played purely as a hobby - never had the required skills/talent to even consider trying to play professionally.  The percentage of golfers who ever make it to the PGA Tour has zeroes on both sides of the decimal point.

"How many times a week do you usually play golf?"

I currently play 2 times a week on average, but have gone through phases in my life where I didn't golf more than a couple times a year for several years - hence the fact that I've played for 28 years and still stink at it. :)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Hey, BlueMonkey.  Welcome to the forum.  I think there have been similar threads asking how one started golf.   Anyway, I started playing golf 5+ years ago b/c I was physically too tired/injured to keep playing physical sports.   It also gave my wife and I something to do together after we sent out only child to college.  Playing 2 - 3 times a week since then.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Hi everyone,

1) I became interested in golf when I was about 11 and we visited some relatives a coupe of states away.  My Uncle Ted was chipping in the backyard.  I went out there and he showed me how to do it.  When we left he gave me an old Spalding 5-iron he had laying around.  A couple of years later he bought new clubs and gave me his old ones, a Gary PLayer signature set from Shakespeare golf with fiberglass shafts.  The rest is history, although there were periods a years where I didn't play at all when my kids were little.

2) Hobby

3) This has really varied over the years.  As a teacher I had the summers off and local courses usually had some kind of monthly deal.  When I had a monthly deal in the summer I'd play 4-5 time a week.  Otherwise it was pretty much once a week or a little less.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!