IGNORED

To Hybrid or not to Hybrid?

Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm really happy with the set : Driver - 3wood (15°) - 3hybrid (19°).

I have TM RBZ stage2, it's the second set like this I use (previous was 2009 burners).

then I have 4iron to PW and 52 -56 -60 wedges. I do have the 3 iron in a closet and can take out a wedge but I never do the swap.

the gaps betwwen the woods are really good with the option to rip it with the hybride to go long on narow holes or par 5s. I use it a lot on 220 yard par 3s we have. I get so long with the hybride I play the 3 wood a lot less from the tee than I used to.

there is a gap from the hybride to a 24° 4 iron yet I can deal with that ripping the 4 iron but more often going easy with the hybride.

My experience with hybrids -

Wilson Fat Shaft 3H & 4H, steel shaft

Ping G10 15* and 21*, graphite S with low torque

Ping Rapture 18* and 21*, graphite S with low torque

Nickent 3DX 20*, steel shaft

Adams Pro Mini 20*, Aldila Tour Green 85 S

All standard length and weight. Found the steel shafts easier to hit. Although that 15* Ping was the only long hybrid that required more of a wood swing, always hinged back and forth about the type of swing (wood or iron) applied.

Gave it all up for the wonderful TM R11 7W, cut down to 41" - a fine weapon. Still have the Nickent and Adams though because I'll change my mind again in the future.

That's my point - have a few options on hand.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the TM RBZ Stage 2 hybrids..a 19* and a 22*, I ditched my 3 and 4 irons, and my old 3 wood. I find the TM stage 2 hybrids are the easiest to hit, and hit a bunch of hybrids. I found mine at Global Golf..got a good deal on both.

Put a Ping G30 19deg in my bag 3 months back, took the 3 iron out. Can say the was best move I made, also changed my Ping  wedge to a Cleveland RTX 2.0 another good move, both clubs have sorted out some weaknesses in my game. As many stated it's down to personal preference.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

Some golfers find higher-lofted FWs easier to hit than hybrids, or long irons. Some people feel they get more clout out of a 5 - 7 - 9W mix, than with hybrids.

I personally mix FWs and hybrids, though differently than dave s. I carry a 4W + 7W + 4H during warm weather, and swap out the 7W for a 3H in the fall, when winds are higher and rough thinner. (I find 7W works better than hybrid for exiting lush summer rough).

Truth to your statement WUTiger.  Last year, I added the HL 5-wood with a senior flex shaft.  And let me tell you, the ball gets up and flying high in a hurry!  It's my 'go-to' weapon for 2nd shots on par-5s and for getting around the green on long par-4s.

As for the hybrids, they are generally yardage-based par-3 clubs for the most part.  Although the #5-hybrid does see it's share of swings when things aren't going particularly well!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I am firmly in the hybrid camp. I play D 5 and 7 woods, then 17, 22 and 31 hybrids.  The gaps are Ok for me.  The 17 may be swapped out for a 19 though.  Hybrids are one of the best clubs I have.  I only go to 7 iron and hybrids and woods from there down.  If the 5 and 7 weren't so good Id bag 5 hybrids.

Mark Shuman

Mark Shuman

my point of view on the difference between hydrides and woods :

confort may suit player yet hybride today are just small fast wind cutting wood heads. I dont think my TM RBZ stage 2 19° hybride is a real utility club (like adam hybride could be...). It as no sens in rough more than my 4 iron. It's just a small easy hitting wood. a 19° 5 wood could, I thing be the same result. except the shaft length could give be more yards and less forgiveness.

• 4 months later...
My .02, consider all above advice, all solid, i too recommend try before u buy and generally speaking hybrids are the most helpful for higher cappers. But use caution if u hook. My miss is left and a hybrid miss is typically more hook then draw. I also agree with skipping the 60 degree wedge in favor of a 58. Just bought my first 58 last year and its been the most versatile loft ever. High flops, low chips, out of sand, 100 yard approach shots, and its easier to hit then a 60 for most players.

My .02, consider all above advice, all solid, i too recommend try before u buy and generally speaking hybrids are the most helpful for higher cappers. But use caution if u hook. My miss is left and a hybrid miss is typically more hook then draw. ...

The pro or tour hybrid heads have less offset and are less likely to have draw bias, so they are less likely to hook.

If you hook standard hybrids and only have average swing speed, the challenge would be to find a pro or tour head with an R-flex shaft.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Blerg.

I started to craft a response to this and then realized that the original post was 5 months ago and the guy hasn't posted since...

I wonder if he met his goal of playing more than 5 times this year.

Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!