IGNORED

Destin, FL course recommendations

Note: This thread is 3361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The family is headed to Destin at the end of next month.  I have 6 mornings to play.  The courses I've put on the list so far are:

Indian Bayou

The Links (Sandestin)

Regatta Bay

Emerald Bay

The Raven (Sandestin)

Baytowne (Sandestin)

Burnt Pine (Sandestin)

Shalimar Pointe

Eglin AFB

Windswept Dunes  (Is it worth the 45 minute drive each way?)

Any recommendations or feedback from recent play would be greatly appreciated.

I stayed at Sandestin Resort last winter - I liked Baytowne alot.      The Raven seemed overrated and not up to the hype.   Was very windy though - my first time there, so not sure if that's historically the case in the Destin area in January... probably so.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played Regatta Bay and Windswept Dunes.

Regatta Bay is the better track, but I enjoyed both (very much).

At Windswept Dunes, we played the championship tees. At 7,750 yards, the course was a beast.

I played Regatta Bay and Windswept Dunes.

Regatta Bay is the better track, but I enjoyed both (very much).

At Windswept Dunes, we played the championship tees. At 7,750 yards, the course was a beast.

When did you play Windswept Dunes? What were the course conditions?

I was thinking about playing there sometime but am concerned that the course has declined due to the lack of development in the area.

I played Windswept Dunes last October (2015). And I was a bit disappointed with the condition of the greens, and bunkers.

Also, Camp Creek should not be missed. It's a special place. One of my all-time favorites. It's located in Panama City Beach area (not far from Destin).

I played Windswept Dunes last October (2015). And I was a bit disappointed with the condition of the greens, and bunkers.

Also, Camp Creek should not be missed. It's a special place. One of my all-time favorites. It's located in Panama City Beach area (not far from Destin).

Thanks for the info - I have previously heard that Camp Creek is phenomenal.

I recommend you hit Osaka's Japanese Steakhouse for dinner while you are there.

Michael

I recommend you hit Osaka's Japanese Steakhouse for dinner while you are there.

Will do.  I love a good Japanese steakhouse!

Couple of outstanding large seafood restaurants along the waterfront in Destin as well - can't miss them.   Best fish ever had (never seen it anywhere else) - amberjack - if on menu, highly recommend

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• 2 weeks later...

My dad and I played Rocky Bayou last month. It's a private course but they have recently opened it to non-members after 12 pm. The fairways are pretty wide and the greens are fantastic!!!

The course is in Niceville - about 30 minutes from Destin. It's no on the water, but a great place to try.

Sandestin Resort was the destination of an annual golf trip for many years, but I haven't gone in quite a few now. Baytowne was nice but they were adding condo's and changing the course, and some of the character was removed. The Raven was tougher. We played there right after a Champions tour event, and the greens were tabletops. Some real nice holes though. They have an island par 3. Don't bother with the Links, unless they've done a lot of work to it. Burnt Pine is the nicest. Play that if you get a chance. We played all the courses as part of our condo package at Sandestin, but I don't remember if you can walk on to Burnt Pine without staying or living there.

I've played Regatta Bay- for free with a condo promotional package. I was just starting and was not anywhere near ready for the course. Hacked my way around it 3 times. I was playing as a single, and luckily my partners were patient with me. It would have been pretty expensive to play without the promo. Very nice course. I'd like to try it again now.

• 4 weeks later...

Regatta Bay: Very nice course.  Fun to play and pretty narrow.  Don't know if I think it's worth the early morning rates ($145).
Indian Bayou:  Fun layout and pretty well maintained for the cost.
Holiday (PCB):  Greens were great and the course was cheap.  Forgettable layout.
Eglin (Eagle Course): Can't slam it for the price (<$40).  This layout has plenty of unrealized potential. The condition was pretty much like any other military or municipal course.

If I went back this week, I would play Regatta (afternoon rate) and Indian Bayou again.  I would skip the other two and try something different.

Note: This thread is 3361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!