IGNORED

For those that have ... how long did it take you to break 80 ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my current gol. Starting playing last july. Was shooting in the 140s. Got done to mid 90s about 4 months ago. I shot a 84 last week. Driving is the issue for me. I feel like everyone has some issue keeping them from scoring under 80. Hopefully mine comes soon. Congrats.

It took me 10 years or 26 years, I'm not sure which.....so my advice to anyone is NEVER GIVE UP.

I took up golf at age 24. I was a med student and I never really could play enough to get good at it.

I learned to break 100 very quickly, within a couple of months playing.

I broke 90 for the first time about 4 years after I took up golf.

From that point, around age 28, I sort of stagnated for a long time as a bogey golfer who broke 90 maybe a third of the time. During this period, about 10 years after I'd taken up the game, I shot a 78 in a match with my uncle and some of his regular playing partners. But I never really believed that was the score....my uncle was scoring and I'm sure they were giving me putts that I might have missed on holes where there was no need for me to putt out.

My game stagnated for years. I could never play regularly....I'd play once a week for 3 or 4 weeks in a row, then miss a few weeks.....I'd practice once a week maybe.....at age 43, I gave up the game except for 2-3 rounds per year, until I was 49.

I joined a club last year and began playing ALOT. Twice every weekend, weeknights when I can get to the course, occasional morning rounds if my schedule allows it, practice sessions here and there. I've gotten much better. I strike it better than ever, I putt as well as I ever have, and I definitely manage my game better than ever.

I shot a 78 a couple of weeks ago. It was a great round and there were no conceded 5 footers.....but even this round seems to have a shadow over it. Our course is being renovated, and during this round we were playing an alternate hole - a legit hole but easier than the hole under repair - and for another hole under construction that I couldn't play, I had to post a par according to USGA rules for my handicap.

Our course is now back to fully open, and I seem to be close to breaking 80 every time I play now. Nine hole scores in the 30s are more and more common.....I just have to put a really good one together.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 years

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

• 2 weeks later...

I'd played golf a wee bit in my teens and early 30s but started playing 'seriously' (i.e. trying to improve play by full rules etc) just under a year ago.

I broke 80 a few months back off winter tees (78) and had a couple of 78's over the following months.

Over the last fortnight I had 4 sub 80' rounds including a 74, bogeyed 17 & 18, damn!! (par 71) and a 76 - getting me cut to 11.

Oh boy did it feel good but then . . .

Club Champs this Sat gone and out of nowhere I shot 104!!  (inc. 2 11s and a 9)

Played today and shot 91!

Just when you think you have this game it gives you a massive wet fish style slap around the chops ;)

Back to the grind and working on the basics required - in all fairness I think I got a bit over confident which is not a good mindset to have for golf!

15 years. I shot 77 on my birthday. Pretty cool and lots of work went into it. I had stagnated for years being a low 90's, high 80's shooter for years and was content with it. I decided to work hard to get better and shot in the 70's about 7 times that year. Since then I've slipped back. Last year didn't play at all really and so I'm working on my swing pretty hard and taking lessons. Goal is to get back to a single digit this season.

about 3 years one day I loaded a lot of putts and saved pars pitching from 80 yards and so on. 78 (+6). had played 79before but a small par 71 so did'nt count that.

then to play once and a while less than 80 it took about 3 more years.

2 years after I get a round in almost every month.

I'm going to say it was about 8 or 9 years.  I started playing golf when I was about 13 or 14.  I clearly remember that I shot my first round under 80, actually a 78, at Cheviot Hills Golf Course (now a housing development) north of Raleigh, NC, while I was in grad school at NC State.  I must have been 22 or 23.  I remember excitedly telling the pro that I'd have my best round ever, and he told me to look at the paper the next day.  Sure thing, one sentence under Local Golf in the Sports pages, an announcement that this guy shot 78. :dance:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!