IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

still VERY new to this game but ive made a point to use my EQUIVELENT of a 2(18*) and 3(22*) iron and am starting to get some results and i LOVE the long low ball flight they produce,in particular some great tee shots..................the more i learn about this game the more im hooked..........

A 3i is great for medium par 3's(170-190) when the pin is tucked in the back, too. Just take a smooth little 3 quarter swing, land it on the front of the green and watch in satisfaction as the ball rolls back to the hole. Ahhhhhh..

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EXACTLY.................first hole i EVER pard was done just that way......would have been 1 below but..........lol...................greens were a LIL faster than i thought
Driver:Louisville Golf Transitional driver(15*)
Wood:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Brassie(14*)
Long IronTad Moore/Tom Morris Cleek(18*)
Long Iron:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Mid Iron(22*)
Approach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Jigger(26*)Approach:Burke T ray Mongrel MashieApproach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Mashie(37*)Short:Geor...

Cant hit hybrids,dont know why, give me a 3 iron anyday.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

A hybrid is a useful tool if you really want to cover the distance and you have little confidence in the 3 iron. However, if you really want to improve to elite level, you will have to learn how to shape your long irons. From 210 yards I will usually try and cut a 3 iron in and hold the green. If you have problems covering 200 yards+ from the fairway on a regular basis use a hybrid. If you want a club with flexibility and real shot making potential, the 3 iron is far more potent than a hybrid.

I'm a 16 handicap who had replaced my 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. Even though the hybrids are easy to get up in the air I'm not very accurate with them. Recently, I purchased a used set of Ping G2 high loft 3 and 4 irons and absolutely love them. They are long, accurate and forgiving.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I was up at Golf Galaxy today trying out some 2 irons. I tried out the Ping Eye2, a Tommy Armour 2 iron (955, I think?), and then another Ping 2 iron, which looked like half a hybrid (I can't put a name on it).

I settled on the Eye2--consistently 225 yards down the left-center of the fairway (on the simulator, which is actually calibrated for a 6 iron--the machine under-reports longer clubs, and over-reports shorter ones).

Next question? (The same applies for my 3 iron, which is why neither are leaving my bag).
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 2 weeks later...
i'm a tall and athletic dude so the 3 iron is perfect for me...so perfect, that i've traded in my hybrid for a 2 iron! sweet!

I find it easier to play irons than Hybrids, I think its a comfort issue more than anything, Hybrids probably do perform 'better' but it doesn't feel 'right'

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

My set didn't come with a 3i and i tried my best to look for one but man that was difficult. Tried a 21 degree hybrid to replace the 3i (wood like) but just couldn't hack it. Finally found an iron equivalent- the MP fli hi. Looks like a 3 iron but with the forgiveness of a hybrid. But i'd still like to try a 3 iron .

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

A hybrid is a useful tool if you really want to cover the distance and you have little confidence in the 3 iron. However, if you really want to improve to elite level, you will have to learn how to shape your long irons. From 210 yards I will usually try and cut a 3 iron in and hold the green. If you have problems covering 200 yards+ from the fairway on a regular basis use a hybrid. If you want a club with flexibility and real shot making potential, the 3 iron is far more potent than a hybrid.

Hogwash. If you saw Paul Goydos' second shot on the 18th in the third round of the Players' you'd know what I mean. 3 irons are great. So are 2 irons and 1 irons and 7 irons and niblicks. Love this talk about "elite level". The PGA tour is an elite level and the worst thing that could happen is that middle and high handicappers are running around talking about needing to "shape" shots from 200 metres out. I totally disagree with people removing 4 and 5 irons from their bags, but realistically, the reason for keeping a 3 iron is not so that you can cut one over a bunker from 210 out. Have a look at Goydos' shot. I would call that hybrid he hit there a pretty potent weapon. Imagine a 20 marker with him in the pro am hitting a 3 iron from the same spot because he wanted to work the ball. Give me strength.

I find it easier to play irons than Hybrids, I think its a comfort issue more than anything, Hybrids probably do perform 'better' but it doesn't feel 'right'

I have the same issue. I am not comfortable with the way the hybrids (I've tired) set up.

In a moderate stakes better ball match, I want my 3 iron in the bag after my partner blows his tee shot into a lake or something equally bad.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I was out yesterday and hit hybird a couple times and though, boy i wish i had my 3 iron instead. And actuallythought about this thread lol. I loved the hybrid at first. But I cant hit all the shots i need with it.

i still hit a 2 iron lol i dont like hybrids...cant keep em low.. all they do is balloon
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

I love my three iron. It allows alot more workability then a hybrid and its alot easier to keep down in the wind and for punch shots. For the better player a three iron is just the way to go.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Titleist 695.MB 3-iron and at the moment use it as my 'control-club', that is, if conditions are really windy or, the fairway is tight.

If conditions are warm and calm, I can comfortabley carry it about 200yards, 210 if I really bust it.

As it is, I'm now looking at adding a 2-iron to my bag...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I started playing before hybrid clubs were around....and have never been attracted to them.
If I am hitting a shot that is at the long end of my 3I and am not striking the ball well that day....
I will take out a 5W an choke down just a little bit...

Ty

Stix:

Driver: Taylormade superquad 9.5 deg
Fairway: Taylormade burner 3 & 5 woods)
Hybrid: Taylormade 3iIrons 1: Mizuno MP-32Irons 2: Tommy Armour muscleback bladesIrons 3: Wilson Staff Goosenecks (1984Wedges:Titliest vokey and & lob 60 degPutter 1: Tad Moore MnBr bladePutter 2: Tommy Armour...

I switched out my 3-iron about a year ago for an original Cobra Baffler 7-wood of my fathers. I never intended on carrying a 7-wood before (I thought the next move would be wearing a skirt ), but after reshafting & gripping this thing, I was hitting the hell out of it. I loved the look of the small head, and the rails on the sole make it playable from ANY lie. I've been looking at replacing it with a hybrid, but I haven't found one yet that matches up to it.

Note: This thread is 5809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!