IGNORED

Difference between "pro" and "game improvement"

Philbo
Note: This thread is 6042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently a 10 handicapper am in the process of upgrading the clubs that have taken me to this level. With the plethora of different clubs out there at the moment, each suggesting they are 'game improvement' or 'pro' or somewhere in between, I feel as though I'm caught at a bit of a cross roads.

Will purchasing more professionally orientated clubs affect by game? At what level do you start calling yourself a low handicapper vs. a mid handicapper? Very confusing...

For those of you who will probably suggest for me to go to the shops and try everything under the sun, I have already been there and done that, and to be completely honest with you, the only really difference i can ascertain is in between super game improvement and players irons as well as blade putters vs. mallet. Drivers, fairway woods and hybrids all feel the same to me...

What is your opinion... go for more pro orientated set up or stick with more game improvement style clubs?

Thanks

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

when you tried all these different clubs, did you do so using a launch monitor? i would say that wold give yo some insight. did you trymultiple shots with each club? a draw? a fade?

which clubs felt like they were just a little too much for you to handle? those are the ones that will force you to improveyour swing and bring down your handicap.

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

I'm currently a 10 handicapper am in the process of upgrading the clubs that have taken me to this level. With the plethora of different clubs out there at the moment, each suggesting they are 'game improvement' or 'pro' or somewhere in between, I feel as though I'm caught at a bit of a cross roads.

Hey Philbo. I will be going to Melbourne in a couple weeks!!! Do you live near Glen Waverley??? Lets try to play together when I am there.

Anyway, if you are 10 handicapper it might be ok to use player's clubs (eg: r7 TP, MP 60, X-Forged, etc) which has a decent cavity to it. This is just my opinion but if you are more comfortable with thicker irons it shouldn't be a problem either. My first club was a Rac LT and it had a thin top line/sole and I was scoring 120s with it at first but after a few months I was able to hit in the high 90s. People said it was a player's club and I should not use it as a beginner but I was more comfortable with thinner top line and didn't listen to them. Now I am winning those people who stopped me from using those irons and they played for more than 5 years vs me, 1 1/2 years. I now play a 18 handicap and switched to MP60 and have no problem with it. I think MP60 is recommended for players with 4-8 handicap or something like that but what the heck. As long as you like the club and have enough time to practice it shouldn't really matter IMO. I think 1-10 is low capper, 11-22 mid capper, 22+ is high capper... But I might be wrong with this...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Hey dude,

The blades vs cavity back thread has me thinking about this too. My ping i5's saw me from mid teens to single digits (just barely!) in Handicap.

Where to go now?

Good luck in your search and please DO post what you decide to do!

By the way, is this a crazy idea: practice with a more exacting club (pro blade, for example) and then play with something more forgiving. . . maybe its too crazy. . .

thanks for all your help guys...

When i tried the clubs, i was hitting them in a cage in the golf shop without a launch monitor. From past experiences, i am completely aware that hitting in a cage in no way simulates playing on course but it's really the only option.

I did try to hit all different types of shots from low punch, draw, face etc... and the reality is that if you hit it flush, every club feels awesome. I guess my take on it is that if i end up upgrading to clubs that are slightly more difficult to hit, it will eventually improve all aspects of my game from simply better contact upon impact, trajectory control and shot shaping. However, there are obviously limitations and i hope i don't go too extreme.

Any further input would be great

What's in my bag:

2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

I agree with Hypergolf; there are some players clubs out there that still have a thin top line, little offset, but still have a cavity back for some more forgiveness. I just switched from three years with Ping G2's and bought a set of i10's. I have had them for three weeks, and I have a lower ball flight, and the less offset has helped me too (always fought the lefts with the offset). They are not as forgiving as my G2's, but I plan on using the range, some lessons and playing as much as I can this winter to tighten up my swing to use these, and I think my handicap will show improvement as a result.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

The suggestion made about hitting in front of a launch monitor is the way to go. When I was first fitted, about 9 months ago, all I did was hit various clubs (at Golfsmith) and watched for clubhead speed and distance. Not knowing much, I went with the club that gave me the most of both. NOT VERY SMART. The fitting lasted all of twenty minutes.

When I was refitted, a few weeks ago, I hit various combinations. Same blade with different shafts, shafts with additional weights, etc. I did this for irons, wedges, driver and putter. The fitting lasted about 3 1/2 hours. I had clubs lengthened, shafts made stiffer and heavier, etc.

You might want to try a company like Max Out Labs. You may not feel it but perhaps you might need to improve your shafts. Depending on how much you play, you might want them checked to ensure that the features are still close to what you had, originally.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The suggestion made about hitting in front of a launch monitor is the way to go. When I was first fitted, about 9 months ago, all I did was hit various clubs (at Golfsmith) and watched for clubhead speed and distance. Not knowing much, I went with the club that gave me the most of both. NOT VERY SMART. The fitting lasted all of twenty minutes.

Thanks for your input... however, I live in Melbourne, Australia and am unaware as to a place that would do all this for me.

I am aware that major manufacturers would have these facilities (Callaway and Taylormade) as i have been through Callaway to get the fitting done on my hybrids. Very lengthy process as you pointed out... good advice though and i will consider it when i've got a spare few hours in the day !!! P.S anyone living in melbourne, Australia know what retail outlets have launch monitor facilities?

What's in my bag:

Thanks for your input... however, I live in Melbourne, Australia and am unaware as to a place that would do all this for me.

I will be visiting Melbourne, Australia in 2 weeks. Wanna play?

Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Note: This thread is 6042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!