IGNORED

The Definitive Pace of Play Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

83 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it typically take you to play 18 holes as a foursome?

• Under 3:00
    • 3:00 to 3:30
    • 3:30 to 4:00
    • 4:00 to 4:30
    • 4:30 to 5:00
    • Over 5:00

exactly.

I would like to hear whether @pumaAttack lets players behind him through. If he does, your analogy doesn't matter.

I always let faster players play through.  I let them go ahead and tell them not to rush.  I am not golfing to post a new PR in time.

And yet you side with Puma who feels that it's okay to take 4:30 just because it's posted in the pro shop, never mind that they never looked at a statistic or analyzed anything to come up with that number.  He seems to feel that it's okay for any group to take that much time even if they aren't keeping up with the flow on the course just because it's posted, even if in order to do so they stand around yakking while the group behind them waits.

And you are basing this on what?  You know for a fact they just blindly threw numbers onto their scorecard???  I had no idea you were there when they wrote those scorecards.

Yet, you get to throw together a time based on your own play and expect everybody else to follow suit.  Do you seriously not see the hypocrisy here?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Having to let players through isn't "free" time-wise, it's just a lesser evil than keeping the group stuck behind you. And if you're the slowest person by a significant margin, you're going to have to do it a few times.

That is a fact, but I am never going to keep up a 3:30 pace in a foursome, so lesser evil it is.

Also the guy who played through six other groups upthread? Was that "free time-wise"?

No, I am frustrated as anybody with people who just can't seem to drag themselves out of the golf cart to tee off, or who wait for a group 270 yards out when they maybe hit one that far one time after a three week drought and they caught the cart path. But I just don't agree that one needs to keep one's nose to the grindstone every second on the course. That's not recreation, that's work.

Agreed, 100%.

Tony  

This was a bad analogy. 45 mph minimum speed with a limit of 65 would have made more sense. Yes, technically it's OK to drive that slow, but you're out of the norm and inconveniencing everyone behind you.

I thought the analogy was perfect, you're doing the same thing if pace of play is 4:30 and you play to that exact pace regardless of what others are doing.

Edit,

I forgot, some roads have min and max speed limits, using the min would have been better,

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is a fact, but I am never going to keep up a 3:30 pace in a foursome, so lesser evil it is.

Also the guy who played through six other groups upthread? Was that "free time-wise"?

Sure it was, because they didn't feel that time drag.  They got to play through.

Tony  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

What makes you think that the 4:30 they post has any bearing on reality?  Park Hill is the worst course in the Denver city system, then they pluck a number out of the air and you take it as being meaningful?  Use your head.

Foothills has a posted pace of 2:10 per 9 holes on the 18 hole course, and that's too long for a significantly more difficult course than Park Hill.  Heck, Fox Hollow is 4:30 (Canyon - Meadow), and even that is too long for a more difficult course than either of the others.

Oh again, you are more right than the course itself.

Please @Fourputt, post the recommended pace of play times for all Denver Courses.   You are the master.  Use your head, you are not the law here.

Okay, I'm done now.  You in your infinite wisdom are correct while 91% of the players in the country are full of it.  I bow to your superior intellect.

(By the way, I've been playing those two courses which I posted about for 30 plus years.  I first played Foothills in 1975, Played it as my main venue since 1984, and I worked there as a starter for 5 years from 2007 through 2011.  I've also worked as volunteer tournament rules official with the CGA.  I have a little bit of experience with Colorado golf.)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I thought the analogy was perfect, you're doing the same thing if pace of play is 4:30 and you play to that exact pace regardless of what others are doing.

The analogy of going at the recommended speed shows that I am going too slow??

So do you get to ignore all laws, or just ones you find to be wrong?

Tony  

Okay, I'm done now.  You in your infinite wisdom are correct while 91% of the players in the country are full of it.  I bow to your superior intellect.

(By the way, I've been playing those two courses which I posted about for 30 plus years.  I first played Foothills in 1975, Played it as my main venue since 1984, and I worked there as a starter for 5 years from 2007 through 2011.  I've also worked as volunteer tournament rules official with the CGA.  I have a little bit of experience with Colorado golf.)

Thanks for finally understanding you are not right here.

Courses get to post their own pace of play, not you.

Tony  

This whole concept that letting players through is "not free time-wise" is an interesting one. Like the guy on another thread who was playing as a single in a cart and was complaining about "slow groups" and playing through them. What does that cost "time wise" the rest of the traffic flow? Apparently nothing, because the faster player is always right. The people who caused the problem was the foursome walking who did not play as fast as the single on a cart!

This all makes perfect sense!

The analogy of going at the recommended speed shows that I am going too slow??

So do you get to ignore all laws, or just ones you find to be wrong?

Come to NY and try to drive the speed limit on a wide open one lane road.  Make sure you bring a cell phone so you can call AAA to pull your car out of the ditch.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Thanks for finally understanding you are not right here.

Courses get to post their own pace of play, not you.

Deaf, dumb, and blind.  Bye

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Come to NY and try to drive the speed limit on a wide open one lane road.  Make sure you bring a cell phone so you can call AAA to pull your car out of the ditch.

Then it comes with the threats.

So now you are advocating violence for people playing at the recommended pace of play?

Yikes, you are a treat.

Tony  

That's just reality, no threats from me. I'll drive around you.  Point is, if the course is wide open you either let people through or pick up the pace.

Joe Paradiso

So now you are advocating violence for people playing at the recommended pace of play?

Yikes, you are a treat.

That wasn't a threat. Please don't play the martyr card.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

This whole concept that letting players through is "not free time-wise" is an interesting one. Like the guy on another thread who was playing as a single in a cart and was complaining about "slow groups" and playing through them. What does that cost "time wise" the rest of the traffic flow? Apparently nothing, because the faster player is always right. The people who caused the problem was the foursome walking who did not play as fast as the single on a cart!

This all makes perfect sense!

It is an interesting notion.

They state it doesn't waste time and it is fine.  Yet they are not the ones who are stuck behind them while they play through 6 groups.

Tony  

That wasn't a threat. Please don't play the martyr card.

The guy said he (or implied others) would put my car into the ditch, for driving the SPEED LIMIT...

Gotta love that mentality.  GET OUT OF MY WAY!!  I am clearly more important than you are or the recommended safe speeds for a car to be traveling based on research and data on the braking distances of cars on that road.

The pace of play issue makes sense now.  People here have quite the entitlement problem.

Tony  

The guy said he (or implied others) would put my car into the ditch, for driving the SPEED LIMIT...

Gotta love that mentality.  GET OUT OF MY WAY!!  I am clearly more important than you are or the recommended safe speeds for a car to be traveling based on research and data on the braking distances of cars on that road.

The pace of play issue makes sense now.  People here have quite the entitled problem.

This isn't worth getting into further, but if you're driving the speed limit during hours with an average volume of traffic in New York, you're slowly causing a backup for miles behind you. You'll see a schmuck doing this once in a while and he rightfully gets yelled at by people passing him. Social norms are what they are and people want to get where they're going on the road and on the golf course. When everyone is doing it, going against those norms screws everyone over. The NYC government lowers its speed limit to 25 mph and everyone who drives LOLs.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 2618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!