IGNORED

Backyard Practice Net

Note: This thread is 1478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are your guys thoughts. I have a bucket of about 150 shag balls. If I were to get a net and a range mat would it be a good idea to hit balls in my backyard as opposed to going to the range. Obviously my concern is not knowing where the balls are going or how the shots "really" are.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

That would be pretty sweet! I would say do it, and just put up your own yardage markers. Get one of those little podometers and attach it to your foot walk out 600steps and thats 200yds and so on. I would go for it!
My Bag
Driver: Dunlop Invicta 10.5˚ (Graphite Shaft)
3&5 wood: Lancer Oversize (Graphite)
Irons: Titleist 990 (Steel)
Wedge: Ram FX 57˚(Graphite)Putter: Ram Accubar AB-2Ball: Nike Juice

My backyard is small, I would just be hitting balls into a net.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I'm putting up a net in my garage. That way I can hit even when it rains and/or is cold.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Ohh ok my bad... I would still do it. Anyway you can grove your swing and not pay for it sounds like a winning combination.

My Bag
Driver: Dunlop Invicta 10.5˚ (Graphite Shaft)
3&5 wood: Lancer Oversize (Graphite)
Irons: Titleist 990 (Steel)
Wedge: Ram FX 57˚(Graphite)Putter: Ram Accubar AB-2Ball: Nike Juice

on an aside: 600 steps for 200yards?!

you either have a very small stride and feet or you're stepping half steps =P.

I usually take medium length strides and find my count to be about 1 for 1 steps for yards. (plus i know my pace count from land navigation in the army).

I'd definitely do it. Just go to the range every so often to get visual feedback. Use your backyard range for the feeback that comes from the strike itself.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

• 9 months later...
Anyone use a practice net? Which one do you use? I was thinking about getting a net b/c I need to practice but can't make it to the range very often. I am thinking that hitting into a net when I can't get to the range would be useful, but wonder if not being able to follow the ball in flight will inhibit the feedback you get from going to a range. What are your thoughts on a practice net?

Matt

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Anyone use a practice net? Which one do you use? I was thinking about getting a net b/c I need to practice but can't make it to the range very often. I am thinking that hitting into a net when I can't get to the range would be useful, but wonder if not being able to follow the ball in flight will inhibit the feedback you get from going to a range. What are your thoughts on a practice net?

I used to use a practice net during the winter months (my Dad and I made a makeshift one in the garage), but I think you need to be careful about relying too heavily on it. If you can't see the ball flight, you don't know if your swings are on plane or not because both shots might feel solid coming off the clubface. Some people I know have used practice nets during the winter and started the season with bad habits they ingrained b/c they couldn't see the flight of the ball (which is the best way to assess what happened during the swing). My advice would be to use the net to satisfy your urge to swing the club, but not to do too much practice with it.

Jorgesgolf

A while back (8 or 9 years ago) we had one in the yard. It's good for the quick fix but I wouldn't rely on it as your only means of practicing.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I use one in my backyard. I used to use real balls and hit full shots into it until one day I topped a 3W and the ball went under the net, kicked off a cinderblock mow strip straight up in the air, and landed who knows where...

No broken windows in the neighborhood so I think I'm good.

I decided that day to stick with wiffle balls and wedges into the net so I don't have to chase them very far. Oh, and if you like your grass, better get a mat.

Gamers:
Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5* (Aldila VS Proto 65s)
3 Woood: Ping G5, 15* (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75s)
Hybrid: Adams Idea A2, 3i/20* (Aldila NV 85s)
Irons (4-PW): Ping Eye2+ Black Dot (KT Steel Stiff)Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series 252.08, Spin-Milled SM56.10/SM60.04Putter: Guerin Rife...

Im getting ready to put up a 10x10x10 golf pracrice net/cage.

I plan to use it mostly for drills that I can do, not really for long full swing sesions. Without a monitor, hitting into a net won't tell you much about your swing... Still to satify my jones when I can't play.... I'll take the net!

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

• 6 months later...
Does anyone know where I can get one that doesn't fall down after a hard shot from a driver? I really don't want to buy a 150 Callaway net just to find out it does the same thing as a cheap 30 dollar one from Target. I really just want to work on my ball striking. Making sure that I keep my head down and my tempo correct. I work a lot of hours and being able to just step out in the back yard and practice would be so much easier then trying to rush after work before the range closes.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

I have the Golf Digest model from target. It's a little wobbly, a pain in the butt to set up, but does not fall over when I hit into it. It's not perfect, but at $30 and change...Hope this helps

I envy anyone who has an indoor net. My garage is pretty tall so i am contiplating putting it there. You could probably build one yourself. I bet you could go to Lowes or the Home Depot and get some net and metal plumbing pipe. Just a thought.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I have the Golf Digest model from target. It's a little wobbly, a pain in the butt to set up, but does not fall over when I hit into it. It's not perfect, but at $30 and change...Hope this helps

Yeah, I already purchased that one and I couldn't handle it falling down. I ended up returning it.

I envy anyone who has an indoor net. My garage is pretty tall so i am contiplating putting it there. You could probably build one yourself. I bet you could go to Lowes or the Home Depot and get some net and metal plumbing pipe. Just a thought.

I wish that I could put it in my garage but the garage is not tall enough to let me swing. Mine is going to have to go outside. I have thought about trying to build one but I haven't had the time to go price the parts it would take to make it. I am fairly confident that I could do it but I don't know where I would get the netting from.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

There are some decent ones on ebay believe it or not. However, it is ebay.... enough said.

What you need to look for is a net that is almost like a 1/2 dome instead of the flat nets. They cost a bit more, but believe me, they are more than worth the little bit extra that you need to pay. All these nets should come with pegs that you push into the ground to stop the impact and moment of the ball pushing the net over. This solves your problem instantaneously.

If you want the name of the brand on ebay... i can dig it up for you.

good luck !!!

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

i am also looking into getting a practice net for the same reasons as the OP. my concern is not only durability, but ease of setup & take down. I cannot see leaving a huge half dome net up in my backyard all the time.. Are they designed to be left out anyway? Its looks like TGW has some decent ones by IZZO & RJ Sports that I may soon be investing in soon.. they got good reviews anyway..

anyone who has any practice nets please feel free to share your experience/s with them.. gracias.

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

Note: This thread is 1478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!